Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Ford GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 07:49 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

It didnt take a video like that....go to the FGT forum and you can see some of the products by members who submitted videos. There are several people in my city who got one, with no video, and zero social media presence. I think there was definitely some bonus points to those who attended the rallies...and those who are active on the FGT forum. I too am glad that the car was direct and not through dealers, although my allocation isnt for this year.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:26 PM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
It didnt take a video like that....go to the FGT forum wand you can see some of the products by members who submitted videos. There are several people in my city who got one, with no video, and zero social media presence. I think there was definitely some bonus points to those who attended the rallies...and those who are active on the FGT forum. I too am glad that the car was direct and not through dealers, although my allocation isnt for this year.
Agreed. There were also a ton of people at LeMans last year to witness the win. Many people who wanted to buy a GT and didn't get an allocation. Waxer, were you at LeMans to cheer on Ford? Imagine how those people feel who were there and also didn't get an allocation. IIRC, the last 500 aren't spoken for and I'm sure if anyone who's involved with the selection process is skimming these forums wouldn't be inclined to help those bashing Ford to get the second and last allocation run.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:57 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by FLGT
Yikes. Quite the video. Not all applicants and not all folks who secured allocations submitted videos.
100% correct.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:54 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by FLGT
I think it's really hard to come up with a fair and ideal way to allocate only 250 cars with 8,000 applicants. No matter how it's done, there are unfortunately going to be some unhappy people. There are a lot of great, very qualified people who sadly didn't get a spot. I'm sure there are some people who arguably are far more qualified than I. I do think much of Ford's plan was to distribute directly to enthusiasts who hopefully will drive and enjoy them. I know they placed a fairly large priority on that, or I wouldn't have gotten a spot, and I suspect several of my friends wouldn't have either. FWIW, I'm glad Ford allotted the cars directly, and they didn't go thru dealers, who could play their own games, including ridiculous markups above what is already a high MSRP. Once my car arrives, happy to show it to RL folks.
Congrats!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:11 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by stuntman
Agreed. There were also a ton of people at LeMans last year to witness the win. Many people who wanted to buy a GT and didn't get an allocation. Waxer, were you at LeMans to cheer on Ford? Imagine how those people feel who were there and also didn't get an allocation. IIRC, the last 500 aren't spoken for and I'm sure if anyone who's involved with the selection process is skimming these forums wouldn't be inclined to help those bashing Ford to get the second and last allocation run.
Who's bashing Ford? Your saying I am? Really? I never thought to do a video for a $500K car with an openning "I'm your f'n guy Ford". I laid out my years of loyalty to the brand and enthusiasm spanning over 30 years. There is not likely a guy on this forum who have owned more Ford vehicles than me over 30 years. Likely not many on the Ford GT forum either.

Whether I was at LeMans waving a pennant in the stands is irrelevant in light of my history with Ford and the money I have dropped on Ford vehicles over the years. It also includes being one of the Forum members sponsoring the last Matech effort at LeMans, racing/tracking Ford products, FGT forum member for years etc.... I did much more than buy a ticket to a race.

When I see that chick in the picture above who got an allocation holding her guitar and standing next to a Ferrari someone in my shoes naturally does have a "WTF" response.

Not bashing Ford but when a company and brand I have supported and been an obvious enthusiast for for over 30 years turns their back on my application my response isn't "thank you". I re-evaluate my relationship. Relationships are two way streets last I checked.

No getting selected has a down side. Down side is I won't get a NFGT. Up side is I can retire sooner and free up funds for other things. Likely the new GT2RS will be the equal of the NFGT for alot less and I am near the top of my dealer's list for one with a deposit. Problem I will have is whether I give up my GT3RS for one.

I do like the NFGT. Its quite a peice. No doubt. If i didn't love it I wouldn't applied for one. There are certain aspects of it that do give me pause at $525K however. Would I have bought one if I got the allocation? Yes. The reservations I have aren't serious enough to have stopped me. Some reservations are increased production, very very high tech, sterile spartan interior, street usability, carbon fibre tube construction making repairs very costly, high insurance costs, V6 tt (Americans love their V8s and the GT40 were historically V8's), loss of classic GT40 styling cues inside and out including exterior styling cues from Lambo and Ferrari. Unless you know its a Ford GT it is not instantly recognizable as a Ford GT/GT40.

I also see competition for the NFGT coming down the pipe including the AMG GT R, GT2RS, Corvette Zora, etc... all for significantly less with much more passenger friendly environments.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:03 AM
stuntman
Instructor

Why does it seem like you're giving up when not all the cars are spoken for? Did you mention all of that in your application? Like I said, there seem to be only a handful of controversial owners, still leaving 490 deserving owners, maybe more deserving than you, maybe not. You may be guy # 501, but why give up? Unless you're so bitter you didn't make the first cut?
Old 01-17-2017, 12:19 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

I haven't given up. Just kinda lost interest when I was turned down. Is there another application process now? If there is I have no problem giving it another whirl but my chances of scoring a GT2RS are likely much better.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:36 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by Waxer
I haven't given up. Just kinda lost interest when I was turned down. Is there another application process now? If there is I have no problem giving it another whirl but my chances of scoring a GT2RS are likely much better.
The dealer called me way back for round 2 - my response was I am not filling out a resume.

Really like Ford they build great trucks but let's face it this is about the ole boys club in Detroit and their ego's which require their private box filled on race day with smiling enthusiasts ... bean counters allowed Ford mgmt to play catch up with as little skin in the game as possible by sprinkling a few around the country. I too was over this Ford GT thing who would have expected to see it here.

GT2RS - there should be plenty to go around.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:48 AM
stuntman
Instructor

New cars are always going to be faster. It's called progress. Heck, I've heard the GT350R is faster than the old Ford GT. I'm sure that probably is due to the tires and if the GT had modern PSC2s, I'd be surprised if it were slower but still... If cars don't dissapear all together for self driving pods, I'm sure there will be sedans and entry level sports cars as capable as the NGT. Maybe not but who would have guessed modern sport sedans and Mustangs having 400-700hp?

If you're concerned about speed and bang/buck, put a proper splitter, wing, slicks and a tune on a 675LT or GT2RS and go take down hypercars. Or buy an ACR-E and do it stock, or turbo an ACR-E. Etc...
Old 01-17-2017, 12:48 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

I have to say that I bleed Ford blue and a Shelby nut have for 25-30 years with many Fords and Shelbys under my belt.

Here was the pic I submitted with my NFGT applicaiton and a video. Plus an active Ford GT forum member since 2007.

Attachment 1126010

When I was turned down for a NFGT I did feel like I was kicked in the ***** by my girl friend who I just asked to the prom. Seems like alot of cars went to celebs, big $$$ guys and guys with real social media reach and presence.

I'm just a "little lawyer" like my wife says. Just a guy. I didn't rate. Felt slighted but over it now. That's life.
Wow. That's some collection of Fords.

How Amy MacDonald and Schmee150 of all people get an allocation and you don't is just gross. What a crock of s***. Social media sucks.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:15 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rk-d
Wow. That's some collection of Fords.

How Amy MacDonald and Schmee150 of all people get an allocation and you don't is just gross. What a crock of s***. Social media sucks.
There were a number of guys that got them that deserved them. No doubt. Don't begrudge them one bit. Then there were others. Learned long ago life is not always fair.

As my dad would say, "next".
Old 01-17-2017, 07:40 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Did not understand the mentality to fill out an application so I can spend $$$$$ on the Ford. If I like it enough to pay the market price then I will.

Last applications I filled out when I was going to hand over that kind of coin was for college/medical school.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:37 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Usedcarsalesman
Free advertisement.1M+

Getting into 918 money.
I think both of those points are rhetorical and already known; the point is that Ford is overlooking a portion of its market - the enthusiasts who have bought their brand over and over again.

Instead deciding to allocate to idiots like schmee for 'advertising' when they in fact cut the target audience out by giving the car to him in the first place, so I see it as wasting a car.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:39 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Getting kicked to the curb for Schmee and McDonald is definitely a WTF moment for guys like me but I "get it" free advertising trumps little guys like me. Learned a lesson here. Done with false allegiances.

Usually all boats rise with the tide so at least FGT Gen II owners/ enthusiasts who got dear John letters will benefit from a likely rise in value and they didn't have to spend a dime. Clearly an unintended consolation prize but I'll take it.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:57 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Getting kicked to the curb for Schmee and McDonald is definitely a WTF moment for guys like me but I "get it" free advertising trumps little guys like me. Learned a lesson here. Done with false allegiances.

Usually all boats rise with the tide so at least FGT Gen II owners/ enthusiasts who got dear John letters will benefit from a likely rise in value and they didn't have to spend a dime. Clearly an unintended consolation prize but I'll take it.
Smart!

Gen II is the clear winner IMO

Felt the same way about the Carrera GT vs 918 - dislike for turbo's and energizer bunny power plants.

Here is a thought - pick up a CGT remove those tops and listen to the F1 I guarantee you won't ever think twice about the V6!

The Viper ACR - E another great option!

Last edited by nuvolari612; 01-17-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Quick Reply: OT: Ford GT