Sponsored by:

MotorTrend: Viper ACR versus C7 Z06 versus RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 05:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
Speaking of, I hate that damn cupholder symbol on my carbon fiber trim. I know where they are and can inform the ignorant. I don't need a cup-shaped zit on the stuff I paid $$$ for. Back to regularly-scheduled programming.
It's probably a sticker under clear coat. If you're willing to scrape the clear coat with a knife,you might be able to remove it.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Tre
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
As I get the Viper ready to track, I'm overloaded at options. Really. First, there's the obvious camber settings, then ride height, front brake cooling ducts to install, rear diffuser strakes to install, front splitter to install, bump and rebound on shocks to adjust, fender louvers to remove, front hood vents to remove… what am I forgetting?? ALL FROM THE FACTORY.
For the MT reviewers stating that the ACR isn't a "street-oriented" (aka, comfortable) car, we really don't know how the car was setup for the street driving phase of the review. For all we know, the test car was setup for maximum track performance and then taken directly as is for the street portion which may explain some of the discomfort.

As for cramped quarters and/or loud road/exhaust noise, as mentioned, these are extremely subjective. Some complain about the LWB being too constraining just as some would never do GT3 side deletes because of drone. I'd assume that the ACR is quite loud as it likely doesn't have the exhaust "flap" that leads to the GT3 being louder only above an RPM threshold that most don't drive around at on the street. Plus, I think the criteria the reviewers are using is the DD threshold. The 991 GT3 and RS, as per pretty much every journalist review, states that the cars are very comfortable and much more street compliant than their predecessors. In all reality, the ACR is an extreme version of the Viper and really wasn't designed to be a dual-use DD/track weapon. Like the last gen ACR, the current ACR is built to break records...and that it will!

And then there's the ACR "track add-on" items (referenced in est8esq's post) that the reviewers drove around with. For those with the ACR that have driven it to/from the track, do you travel with the added pieces installed? I can see the diffuser and front splitter not being too kind to street driving as any bumps could result in something breaking.

Don't get me wrong, IF I had the $$$, I'd DEFINITELY have an ACR (and a 350R or GT4) in my collection. But alas, I'm comparatively poor to a very large majority of Porsche GT car owners and can only afford one toy
Old 01-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I agree with you when it comes to the 991rs is the best compromise there is. We shouldn't even include the gt3 in this discussion. Because that is the best compromise they have ever made. Why make something almost identical?
With it's huge wing and tires, massive aero tweaks, CF and magnesium body parts, and engine mods Porsche probably feels that they've done enough to differentiate the RS from the GT3. I get where you're coming from though; it's not enough and you want something even more radical. Problem is while that's a perfectly valid wish, Porsche has never built a street car that's as much of a sell out to track use as Dodge has done with the ACR and, especially in the current environment, they never will.

Agree that it makes for fun tv, but
I listen a lot more to the owner reviews on this board than journalists trying to get hits on YouTube.
I don't know that coming out with a different kind of review on the ACR would have resulted in any more hits. It seemed to me that the reviewers were being pretty honest about how they felt about the two cars and they did, after all was said and done, choose the Viper as the "winner" of the comparison.

Hearing the opinions of owners is important and revealing, but we owners sometimes also have an axe to grind and those subjective opinions must be put in perspective as well. Not that anyone here has an axe to grind, of course.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-08-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:29 PM
OpieT
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the reviewers, I think we can all agree that one being cannot determine happiness or misery for another...I haven't tested the ACR and will reserve judgement until then. The Z06 was not for me, not even close. I was disappointed, really wanted to love that car. The ACR may be the same, but my interest is piqued!
Old 01-08-2016, 06:44 PM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9914s
Until it overheats
Well first of all, none of the manual transmission cars I know overheated. I live in northeast maybe Texas might be different or California. But assuming what you are saying is right....

The base price of a Z06, 80k, is less than the markup people in this forum pay for a RS... So, I would say for the performance and the sound, forget overheating, if you had to get out of the car and push it to start time to time, its still a better deal...
Old 01-08-2016, 07:21 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 117 Posts

Torture Device? Leather and alcantara interior, power door locks, windows. Air conditioning, moveable pedals, back up camera, ****ty stereo. Well there it is….the ****ty stereo must be the torture device they speak of!!!!
Old 01-08-2016, 07:32 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have driven the previous generation viper (not ACR), as I was considering buying one. However, it was not my cup of tea. The driving position in relation to the pedals was off, the gear shift too high, it was too hot, and it just did not feel "solid". It was very different from the 996 TT that I had at the time. I have heard that the new generation viper addresses some of these issues, but I doubt many people who have modern porsches would choose the viper over their porsche after driving both back to back. An exception may be people who primarily track their cars.
Having said that, I really applaud dodge for producing such a bad *** track weapon (ACR). I think it really looks good with its huge aero package, especially since it can back it up on the track. My father (owns a c6 zo6) may even buy one!
Old 01-08-2016, 08:56 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
With it's huge wing and tires, massive aero tweaks, CF and magnesium body parts, and engine mods Porsche probably feels that they've done enough to differentiate the RS from the GT3. I get where you're coming from though; it's not enough and you want something even more radical. Problem is while that's a perfectly valid wish, Porsche has never built a street car that's as much of a sell out to track use as Dodge has done with the ACR and, especially in the current environment, they never will. I don't know that coming out with a different kind of review on the ACR would have resulted in any more hits. It seemed to me that the reviewers were being pretty honest about how they felt about the two cars and they did, after all was said and done, choose the Viper as the "winner" of the comparison. Hearing the opinions of owners is important and revealing, but we owners sometimes also have an axe to grind and those subjective opinions must be put in perspective as well. Not that anyone here has an axe to grind, of course.
First of all, I really enjoy a well balanced discussion. That's what RL is about. You seems like a class act.
We will never agree when it comes to RS DNA and that's fine. I'm from Europe and have been lucky enough to drive some truly amazing early RS! My feeling is that they are getting softer and softer. The Clubsport package probably adds to that feel.
I'm as big of a Porsche fan as there is and absolutely love the 991gt3. If I could only have one car that would probably be it.
I'm fortunate enough to be able to drive something else as a DD and that's probably one of reasons I would love to see the more extreme RS models.
There is a huge difference between my 996rs and 997rs4.0 in road comfort.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:44 PM
991TTS
AutoX

Actually, if you go back and watch some prior review with these same folks, you will see many of the same phrases for prior versions of Vipers. All the talk about heat and the seats seem more like old reviews from prior Gen's and more carryover. Usually the topic of the car will kill you was reserved for the Viper, but now it seems the Vette has taken on that knock... It is good entertainment for sure. I just suggest to folks if they want an ultimate track machine, go drive an ACR and see what you think. If looking for a great DD that is a good track car, then other choices exist. But think about it, when do you ever see a GT3/RS or Z06 owner and the first words out of their mouths is its Daily Driver prowess? They always lead with its performance...

Originally Posted by aamersa
It's hilarious. It's the first time I have ever heard any street car being described as torturous and miserable and one that is liked by those who like to torture others. And 8.4 litres when most of the world is heading towards 4.0 and under. It sounds like a cross between an exotic car and garbage truck. Absolutely fell out of my seat laughing. It sounds "terrible" and "is all about pain." Please show me another review like it.

The corvette review was unbelievable too. Just switch the systems off and you will crash. The power is more than the car can handle.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:48 PM
newalbanyohio
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

I just bought an ACR-E...being delivered in the next couple days.

The ACR reminded me of 3 of previous cars we owned. 997GT3RS, 996GT3, Gallardo 570-4 Superleggera, 430 Scuderia.

The ACR is significantly improved over those cars in these way:
- Handling
- Braking and acceleration.
- Focus.

The ACR is uncompromising with its intent. It has singularity of purpose that the modern Porsches..Ferraris etc don't. Modern hard core cars (except the ACR-E) are designed to satisfy street use FIRST and track use second (if ever). They need to appeal to a wider audience vs what Dodge is doing with the ACR. The ACR is similar in intent to a Ferrari F40 vs a 991 GT3RS. Like the F40, its not for everyone. Good.

It is what it is. The ACR has reset the bar. Its mind boggling how Dodge has made a mostly CF car that is quicker around the track vs cars costing over $1m.
Lets be real, Porsche etc are being sold primary because of the brand. If the ACR had a Porsche shield on its nose it would be $1m.

Jason and Jon were on point with most of their comments. They were mostly working on being entertaining vs providing real information like Randy P did.
Saying the ACR is torture on the road is just plain BS. Much of Jason's comments were just blathering for the sake of being funny (which he succeeded at). I laughed my *** off...
Old 01-08-2016, 09:51 PM
991TTS
AutoX

My only guidance is take your experience from the prior Gen Vipers and throw it way when comparing to the latest Generation. They are really that different from virtually every aspect.

Originally Posted by OCturbo
I have driven the previous generation viper (not ACR), as I was considering buying one. However, it was not my cup of tea. The driving position in relation to the pedals was off, the gear shift too high, it was too hot, and it just did not feel "solid". It was very different from the 996 TT that I had at the time. I have heard that the new generation viper addresses some of these issues, but I doubt many people who have modern porsches would choose the viper over their porsche after driving both back to back. An exception may be people who primarily track their cars.
Having said that, I really applaud dodge for producing such a bad *** track weapon (ACR). I think it really looks good with its huge aero package, especially since it can back it up on the track. My father (owns a c6 zo6) may even buy one!
Old 01-08-2016, 09:59 PM
jpohill
Advanced

As I still hold out hope for an RS allocation I can't help but to think the following - would I really track it?

I'm close to ordering an ACR since I will likely only have an RS in the fleet if I pony up $300k

Or I can have 3 track cars all Manual all very different

ACR
GT4
Z28

And have $$$ left for tires.
I still have the AMG and GT3 to play with.
Whether the Viper is a "pig" to live with or not on the road matters not to me. It is the most track focused car in the world of "affordable" that I can buy.
Is the RS a better car all around? It better be!!!
Old 01-08-2016, 10:04 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
That's the one!
Funny thing, that guy in the infamous Z06 versus GT3 video at Auto Club Speedway, showed up in a Viper ACR at a track event in November!
Old 01-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

First of all, I really enjoy a well balanced discussion. That's what RL is about. You seems like a class act.
We will never agree when it comes to RS DNA and that's fine. I'm from Europe and have been lucky enough to drive some truly amazing early RS! My feeling is that they are getting softer and softer. The Clubsport package probably adds to that feel.
I'm as big of a Porsche fan as there is and absolutely love the 991gt3. If I could only have one car that would probably be it.
I'm fortunate enough to be able to drive something else as a DD and that's probably one of reasons I would love to see the more extreme RS models.
There is a huge difference between my 996rs and 997rs4.0 in road comfort.
There is no doubt the RS has gotten softer(but that may not be a bad thing). I have heard many convey it is more compliant that the GT3 on the street. I was blown away when I heard this but many people have conveyed this. But - they still delivered a more competent track car than previous generations and it still eclipses the GT3 on the track like previous generations.

I think you and Mike are not so far off in what you both are conveying it is just you are both coming at it from two completely different angles
Old 01-08-2016, 10:21 PM
Greygt3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Someone has some explaining to do.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: MotorTrend: Viper ACR versus C7 Z06 versus RS