Sponsored by:

MotorTrend: Viper ACR versus C7 Z06 versus RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 06:11 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I agree with you that the RS was never about sales (intentionally or not), if it was, they'd have made many many more of them because as we know, they could have sold quite a few more car carriers worth (and still may). But the RS hasn't been about homologation and racing in quite a few years, don't let the door-pull straps and sticker hood crest fool you lol Infact, the door straps aren't even used on the race cars and haven't been since the air-cooled days. The limited numbers are about exclusivity (trying to be like Ferrari?) maybe combined with them not being sure how well it would sell (limiting risk) as well as delays in both resources and materials due to the GT3 stop sale fiasco. But the 991 RS's low numbers have absolutely zero to do with racing and homologation the way previous models have.
I'm not sure what you mean?

If 991RS is limited it will be the first regular RS in history. They have always made sure to produce demand -1. All the way back to 1973.

Limited cars are 1/500 gt2rs or 1/600 4.0 and so on. That have a plaque.

If you ask me I think the same will happen to the 991rs. It might be hard to swallow today but I'm confident that you will be able to get 911rs @msrp before production ends. Exactly the same that happened to 991gt3.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:59 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2urbo
ohh no u do ***** . U came after me for nothing . Again u suck at driving and are a poser that Can use 3 pedals. big deal. lol like i havent been through the good ol boy club at POC events . **** off probably like 100 years old.
how is this clown not banned?

and why does he think it takes any level of skill to drive a manual tranny well...I just taught my 16 yo to drive a 6 speed? empty parking lot/3 hours-done!

and why is his avatar of a dual clutch car?
Old 01-09-2016, 08:11 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Name:  image-3925435291.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  143.4 KB
Old 01-09-2016, 08:42 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

I think some people have still forgotten the 991 GT3 "stop sale" that ceased production for almost 4 months. I really believe that this impacted the amount of RSs that will be produced. With moving all the 991s and 981s to Turbo ect., I think it would not be that easy to extend the run another 4-6 months. I do not believe they underestimated demand. They saw that demand build up with the GT3.

I think they underestimated the GT4 demand if any. Are they making the GT4 at the same location as the GT3/RS?
Old 01-09-2016, 09:15 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,504 Likes on 2,562 Posts

IMO, a main thing this thread illustrates is that best choice of car really depends on how you'll use it. We are NOT all looking at this from the same perspective.

For serious track use by skilled drivers, with road use mostly limited to driving to/from the track, the merits of the ACR seem undeniable. Putting down lap times close to a 997 cup on slicks is very impressive.

For primarily road use with some track, the GT4 is a great choice. You don't have to drive it foolishly fast to enjoy it on the road, yet it's solidly capable on track.

The 991 GT3 is an awesome car. I LOVE the PDK, and would still choose PDK if manual was offered. The ACR will whoop its butt on track, but it's still very fast and very fun to drive on track. It's also comfortable enough on the road, and sometimes fun on the road too if you have a chance to open it up a bit. The engine and the overall integration of the car are

I haven't driven an RS, but it seems to be close to the GT3 on both road and track, except generally dialed up a bit. If someone likes the GT3 and is comfortable spending the extra $$ for the RS, I guess get the RS. I still wish the RS was more track-focused like the ACR, and therefore had a substantially different character than the GT3, but Porsche seems determined to make even its GT cars livable as daily drivers.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:32 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
IMO, a main thing this thread illustrates is that best choice of car really depends on how you'll use it. We are NOT all looking at this from the same perspective. For serious track use by skilled drivers, with road use mostly limited to driving to/from the track, the merits of the ACR seem undeniable. Putting down lap times close to a 997 cup on slicks is very impressive. For primarily road use with some track, the GT4 is a great choice. You don't have to drive it foolishly fast to enjoy it on the road, yet it's solidly capable on track. The 991 GT3 is an awesome car. I LOVE the PDK, and would still choose PDK if manual was offered. The ACR will whoop its butt on track, but it's still very fast and very fun to drive on track. It's also comfortable enough on the road, and sometimes fun on the road too if you have a chance to open it up a bit. The engine and the overall integration of the car are I haven't driven an RS, but it seems to be close to the GT3 on both road and track, except generally dialed up a bit. If someone likes the GT3 and is comfortable spending the extra $$ for the RS, I guess get the RS. I still wish the RS was more track-focused like the ACR, and therefore had a substantially different character than the GT3, but Porsche seems determined to make even its GT cars livable as daily drivers.
Great summary. I totally agree!
Old 01-09-2016, 10:11 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

IMO, a main thing this thread illustrates is that best choice of car really depends on how you'll use it. We are NOT all looking at this from the same perspective.

For serious track use by skilled drivers, with road use mostly limited to driving to/from the track, the merits of the ACR seem undeniable. Putting down lap times close to a 997 cup on slicks is very impressive.

For primarily road use with some track, the GT4 is a great choice. You don't have to drive it foolishly fast to enjoy it on the road, yet it's solidly capable on track.

The 991 GT3 is an awesome car. I LOVE the PDK, and would still choose PDK if manual was offered. The ACR will whoop its butt on track, but it's still very fast and very fun to drive on track. It's also comfortable enough on the road, and sometimes fun on the road too if you have a chance to open it up a bit. The engine and the overall integration of the car are

I haven't driven an RS, but it seems to be close to the GT3 on both road and track, except generally dialed up a bit. If someone likes the GT3 and is comfortable spending the extra $$ for the RS, I guess get the RS. I still wish the RS was more track-focused like the ACR, and therefore had a substantially different character than the GT3, but Porsche seems determined to make even its GT cars livable as daily drivers.
^^^^ Concur +1
Old 01-09-2016, 10:44 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

IMO, a main thing this thread illustrates is that best choice of car really depends on how you'll use it. We are NOT all looking at this from the same perspective. For serious track use by skilled drivers, with road use mostly limited to driving to/from the track, the merits of the ACR seem undeniable. Putting down lap times close to a 997 cup on slicks is very impressive. For primarily road use with some track, the GT4 is a great choice. You don't have to drive it foolishly fast to enjoy it on the road, yet it's solidly capable on track. The 991 GT3 is an awesome car. I LOVE the PDK, and would still choose PDK if manual was offered. The ACR will whoop its butt on track, but it's still very fast and very fun to drive on track. It's also comfortable enough on the road, and sometimes fun on the road too if you have a chance to open it up a bit. The engine and the overall integration of the car are I haven't driven an RS, but it seems to be close to the GT3 on both road and track, except generally dialed up a bit. If someone likes the GT3 and is comfortable spending the extra $$ for the RS, I guess get the RS. I still wish the RS was more track-focused like the ACR, and therefore had a substantially different character than the GT3, but Porsche seems determined to make even its GT cars livable as daily drivers.
Yup
Old 01-10-2016, 01:55 AM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well said Manifold
Old 01-10-2016, 10:24 AM
jwalton
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

That's the point exactly ^^^^^^ Jon in Delaware . Except instead of the GT 4 by a Lotus IMHO
Old 01-10-2016, 11:01 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silverrules
I don't care how much HP and grip this car has, there is no way in hell I'll spend some $140K (Tax included) on this thing. I like the look of the Vett better. The ACR looks like a teenager car with all kind of crap hanging from it. Not for me.
Unlike the purple thing in your avatar.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:05 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

where's the BAC/ Radical crew?
Old 01-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by khooni
where's the BAC/ Radical crew?
I have an SR8 and it's a quantum leap faster. For example, at my home track I am nine seconds a lap faster than Tommy Kendall's "record." (MSR). But it is not a street car in any sense of the word, and I had to sign a special letter allowing confiscation of my car should I ever drive it on the street. It is substantially lighter, has a better power to weight ratio, more aero, and slick tires. It also lacks a warranty, and is unquestionably higher maintenance. As a small example, I have to use an external battery to start it.

That said, nothing even comes close to my Raddy if you want to go around with a passenger. I scoff at cup cars. I suspect some of the more advanced sports racers like the Wolf and Ligier might be quicker, but the Raddy is cheaper. All in with a fresh engine and fuel-cell in my car, I was able to buy used for a little under $100,000.

Very few track rats are quite as wacky and willing to step up to a vehicle like this. It has been a real challenge to learn to drive through the aero, as you have to have faith at the speed you can roll at turn in. I suspect the Viper will be between something like a cup car with relatively modest downforce, and the Raddy
Old 01-10-2016, 09:14 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

To me a GT3RS is not a daily driver for multiple reasons. Sufficiently comfortable yes... but seriously, every day???? It sticks out like a sore thumb, its wing and vents are ostentatious and visibly aggressive not to mention the ones in PTS colors, its wheels are big $$$ that most won't want to expose to every day pot holes, its magnesium panels won't want to be exposed to stones thrown from those mini vans and it's $200K + price tag would make many think twice leaving it with a valet, on a street spot or in a parking garage.

The standard GT3 is barely an every day car.

To me maybe these cars are once in a while take to the office cars and certainly weekend cars.

This is my view anyway.

They are really dedicated to track performance.

Based on the value of these cars not many of us I believe would really drive these cars at 10 10ths or even 9 10ths on the track. Moreover, while I am sure some here have to skill to not many others do. I don't.

The Viper ACR for the price cannot be beat for raw track performance. If RS's cannot be had at MSRP for me it will be between a GT3 and the ACR Xtreme. Would lean towards the Porsche though based on resale and the simple fact that its a "Porsche". I would drive an ACR first though. They are bad *** looking for sure. The Darth Vader of track cars.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:19 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
I don't care how much HP and grip this car has, there is no way in hell I'll spend some $140K (Tax included) on this thing. I like the look of the Vett better. The ACR looks like a teenager car with all kind of crap hanging from it. Not for me.
Somehow I find that kind of funny when your avatar is a purple car with a big ole wing and vents in the fenders. These are very much cut from the same cloth in the design department.

I dont mind either. I just dont see how you could love one and at least not respect the other. Very unbalanced unless your avatar is to mock the RS as well?

Quick Reply: MotorTrend: Viper ACR versus C7 Z06 versus RS