MotorTrend: Viper ACR versus C7 Z06 versus RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 11:15 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Having done over half a dozen track days personally in the ACR, the trans works really well but unlike the 3RS or other cars- the gears are spaced just right and it allows for less gear changes. 3rd gear tops out at 115mph and second gear around 80 so it really allows you to roll speed all over the track.

600+lb/ft of torque and wide ratios along with big aero means you carry huge entry speed in 3rd gear (90+mph) and then steadily roll power on through apex etc. IN order to be super fast around the track you have to avoid smashing the gas too early, the power train responds at halfway up the revs like a 700hp modded 997TT near redline anyway.

it's not like on the 7spd pdk where you constantly have to row through 2-5 on the track to be quick, because of the torque in 3rd you generally keep it there except for hairpins or really slow transitions like the corkscrew at LS.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:24 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

+1

I had the chance to drive one at Laguna over the holiday. It's not the low end torque monster that most people think of. All the power is in the top half of the rpm, which makes it much more controllable. I found myself shifting and braking much more than was necessary with the car. The capabilities of the car put the GT3 to shame. Not so much with power, but with braking and grip. Sure, it sucks on the street, but all those gripes go away on the track. Given that I pretty much only drive the GT3 on the street in order to get to the track, the viper does call to me....
Old 01-07-2016, 11:58 AM
kshu1991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like RS changes wheels in one lap. lol
Old 01-07-2016, 12:17 PM
fivetwozero
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why he crashed the RS?
Old 01-07-2016, 01:35 PM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Khumo claims 1.5sec quicker a lap than any other competitive benchmark tire. Probably true and would be nice to have them on an RS A buddy has a new ACR and he says they wear out VERY fast....

http://www.kumhousa.com/news/index/278
Old 01-07-2016, 01:35 PM
newalbanyohio
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

I may be adding an ACR soon...like tomorrow. Nothing comes close. Incredibly impressive.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:36 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Having done over half a dozen track days personally in the ACR, the trans works really well but unlike the 3RS or other cars- the gears are spaced just right and it allows for less gear changes. 3rd gear tops out at 115mph and second gear around 80 so it really allows you to roll speed all over the track.

600+lb/ft of torque and wide ratios along with big aero means you carry huge entry speed in 3rd gear (90+mph) and then steadily roll power on through apex etc. IN order to be super fast around the track you have to avoid smashing the gas too early, the power train responds at halfway up the revs like a 700hp modded 997TT near redline anyway.

it's not like on the 7spd pdk where you constantly have to row through 2-5 on the track to be quick, because of the torque in 3rd you generally keep it there except for hairpins or really slow transitions like the corkscrew at LS.
I guess Porsche knew what the were doing with the GT4. Everyone says the gearing is too long but AP conveyed it is perfect. Your explanation makes sense for the track
Old 01-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I guess Porsche knew what the were doing with the GT4. Everyone says the gearing is too long but AP conveyed it is perfect. Your explanation makes sense for the track
On a high hp car, long gears are fine, but it's not that great on a GT4, and yes, I have driven it on road and track.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:58 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
On a high hp car, long gears are fine, but it's not that great on a GT4, and yes, I have driven it on road and track.
I am not defending the GT4. I do not track. I just think what CJ conveyed was interesting. No doubt they dumbed the car down a bit. I could not blame them. Two second off the RS at half the price is interesting. Can you imagine if the gears were shorter then.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:05 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

I think the GT4 is a more enjoyable car on the road at sane speeds than this monster. Thus having shorter 2nd and 3rd would've been nice. On the track,I believe the enjoyment varies depending on that particular track layout and turns,just as much as it depends on how much you enjoy shifting. I guess with longer gears you'll be shifting less.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:20 PM
Greygt3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I picked up my ACR last week and have only driven it sparingly. My initial impressions are in line with the video. On the street the car is an *** kicking. Loud as hell, tire noise and exhaust. Ride is very stiff. I expected all of this so no issue there. Can't wait to break it in and hit the track.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:30 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easier when 640 hp vs 385 hp
Old 01-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not defending the GT4. I do not track. I just think what CJ conveyed was interesting. No doubt they dumbed the car down a bit. I could not blame them. Two second off the RS at half the price is interesting. Can you imagine if the gears were shorter then.
Brother, I revel in the chassis balance of the GT4, the car is incredible. Plus I think it comes from a different train of thought to be compared to an ACR. The ACR is fast fast fast, that's all it needs to be. If they had shorter ratios on the GT4, someone at Porsche has to drop the mic! I don't get it when Porsche says "we want to be the fastest" uuuuummmm duuuuuh, what's the GT2 RS is for! So point being, ACR should be compared to GT2 RS if there will be one, and not GT4 nor GT3 RS. I wish Porsche would leave all the feel stuff to GT4 and GT3/RS, and fast fast fast to Turbo and GT2, that's what I feel at least.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:45 PM
karimgt3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Brother, I revel in the chassis balance of the GT4, the car is incredible. Plus I think it comes from a different train of thought to be compared to an ACR. The ACR is fast fast fast, that's all it needs to be. If they had shorter ratios on the GT4, someone at Porsche has to drop the mic! I don't get it when Porsche says "we want to be the fastest" uuuuummmm duuuuuh, what's the GT2 RS is for! So point being, ACR should be compared to GT2 RS if there will be one, and not GT4 nor GT3 RS. I wish Porsche would leave all the feel stuff to GT4 and GT3/RS, and fast fast fast to Turbo and GT2, that's what I feel at least.
Totally agree with you..

The hp numbers are in a totally different league aswell..

The RS's almost equal time to the z06 using same tires is impressive given 500hp only..

Roll on a 600hp GT2RS pls..
Old 01-07-2016, 04:55 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

918 is scarcely faster than the ACR, perhaps not when driven straight up on the same day.

Quick Reply: MotorTrend: Viper ACR versus C7 Z06 versus RS