Sponsored by:

Drove a GT4 today- pretty cool

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 09:55 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
With the aim of adding to any confusion or indecision you still have (), I'll note that the Cayman R has considerably more of the go-kart feeling than the GT4, in my and my wife's opinion. The Cayman R feels smaller, lower, lighter, more agile, more mid-engine, and more lively in the steering wheel. The GT4 has a larger, more luxurious and refined feel, though it also feels (and is) more capable, and the smaller steering wheel is a win for the GT4. If you often have to drive on subpar roads, the Cayman R may beat you up too much, but otherwise the Cayman R is a real contender to the GT4 as a fun driver's road car.

I quickly bonded with the GT4, but my wife - who has done lots of track days and may start instructing next year - hasn't yet bonded to it the way she has with the Cayman R.
Interesting about the Cayman R. I dd and tracked a 987.2 and it feels smaller, more agile, and has better steering than any 981, including the GT4, which I have driven.

I'd be tempted to buy a base manual Cayman 987.2 with the X73 sport suspension and do the full BGB motor swap with the 997.2 X51 engine with 408 HP.

That would be a sweet car to drive with more power, more lively steering, and lower gearing (base Cayman has lower gears) than the GT4!

And you'd save enough money compared to a new GT4, to fix anything you needed from your track work.

Last edited by Drifting; 12-22-2015 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I hope nobody interpreted my thread to suggest I thought the GT4 was better than the GT3. Neither car is better on the streets. On the track we know the outcome. The GT3 is a beast and has mind blowing speed and acceleration with the roar of thunder coming from the exhaust. The GT4 is that small little rocket, with a Manual, that has this go-cart like feeling and the steering helps with this sensation. I am not some one that has learned to master the nuances of the rear wheel drive (911) and I am sure with practice and lessons one could learn that it is equal in handling compared to the GT4. But when one does not have this experience and you jump in the GT4 you notice right away that this car is a canyon carver and you do not necessarily need to learn how She will behave - for less experienced drivers I think the mid-engine platform is more confidence inspiring. Remember - I am not a track guy nor a Jedi Knight of Porsche driving that is why I prefaced my experience.
Not at all Jimmy. You stimulated some good conversation with your excellent review and clearly you were impressed by the GT4. That's all that really matters. I hope you are completely happy with it when it arrives and GLWS of your GT3.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:52 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

^ I am trying to pull the old "Honey, I want to buy this car for you" bit. Lets see if it works. She knows all my angles so will require some serious set up and deception
Old 12-21-2015, 11:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^ I am trying to pull the old "Honey, I want to buy this car for you" bit. Lets see if it works. She knows all my angles so will require some serious set up and deception
LOL.. so i'm not the only one? Due to my well-known garage issue, I got the girlfriend to sell her car so i can pull into her flat one in case I ever need to give the neighbor's spot back.

my storyline was:
"honey, you don't need your car, it just sits there depreciating.. in a few weeks it will be one year older and the value will keep going down as it wastes away in your garage, you uber to work, and I can buy a car for you for emergency needs".

I think what put her over the edge was when i came up with:
"do you know that rubber seals dry out if a car sits idle for too long.. your mercedes may need major repair work with as little as you use it"...

... well, I got my nice garage access now. in some weird way I'm actually looking forward to seeing her in a nice sports car.. maybe I'm weird but that supersedes my concern about something happening to the spyder. guess that means i love her, not sure.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:35 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
LOL.. so i'm not the only one? Due to my well-known garage issue, I got the girlfriend to sell her car so i can pull into her flat one in case I ever need to give the neighbor's spot back.

my storyline was:
"honey, you don't need your car, it just sits there depreciating.. in a few weeks it will be one year older and the value will keep going down as it wastes away in your garage, you uber to work, and I can buy a car for you for emergency needs".

I think what put her over the edge was when i came up with:
"do you know that rubber seals dry out if a car sits idle for too long.. your mercedes may need major repair work with as little as you use it"...

... well, I got my nice garage access now. in some weird way I'm actually looking forward to seeing her in a nice sports car.. maybe I'm weird but that supersedes my concern about something happening to the spyder. guess that means i love her, not sure.
You better be nice to her, she's a beauty.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys. If yu want a GT4 try a 993.

Heres a wee outake from one of my regular New Zealand weekend drives. We have 1000km of roads like this if you know where to go.

This is abut as much fun as you can have in a manual. The car is somewhere between RS & Cup spec on the suspension front.

Yu get to see sme nice scenery too. P.S. This 993 is quicker than EVERY car we have had on those roads in the last few years (regulars include my 991 GT3, Cayman R, 2 x 997 TT, 997C4S, RS60 boxster. Just alot of fun.

We usually go ut for 2hours solid driving like this. Never above 100mph on the straights but we live fr the uphill and downhill twisties... From 1.23s gets twisty... If you have a GT3 and thinking to add a GT4 get a nicely breathed on 964/993 with real steering and no drivers aids...

This is a little uphill bit. Sorry quality is rubbish and doesnt seem very quick in video. Better maybe just to see the roads we drive here...

Last edited by Macca; 12-22-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

heres one from May but not as well filmed (auto is crap). More great NZ roads.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:22 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 680 Posts

Fantastic driving roads you have down there in NZ!

For a while, I've been considering a trip to NZ during our winter here in the states, and your summer. All the photos I've seen of the scenery in NZ have been spectacular.

It would be fun to catch a brief ride in your 993 sometime.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:26 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

north island right? looks like there are some nice blind/technical turns.. mini-nurburgring. very cool.

one of my favorite roads in south island was from Wanaka down to Queenstown if I remember correctly, and then roads down in Fjordland.. my god that is some beautiful country... only issue I would encounter was all the damn local people kept driving head on towards me in my lane and I had to constantly swerve to avoid them.. suicidal maniacs all of them!
Old 12-22-2015, 01:46 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Drove a GT4 a couple of times for over 75 miles. Not pooing on any ones parade. I thought the car was pretty meh. It didn't appeal to me like my 997.2 GT3 or my 991GT3. It handles great, shifter is great, but engine/gearing frankly seemed slower than a Cayman GTS owner i had for a week. There really isn't anything special about the car besides the manual if you own a 997 or 991 GT3. Both of these cars had an engine that gives the car so much character. Now, i understand the price proposition is pretty strong for a 90k GT4 but it really is very lacking in the powertrain which really detracts from the soul of the car IMHO.
Interesting to read the comments on this thread. As far as performance goes, it must have been an unusual GT4 to feel slower than a cayman gts (PDK or no PDK) A car that is lighter, has 50 more Hp and a torquier motor….not to mention Porsche's own performance figures that show significant separation between the two. I have driven a cayman gts, and while I really liked the car, in my hands it felt noticeably slower than my gt4.

As an owner of a 997.1 RS and a 991 GT3, I agree that there is no comparison between either of these cars with EACH other or with the GT4. The 991 GT3 is a rocket..crazy fast and so stable and SO confidence inspiring. On public roads, it is possible to push the car to its enjoyment zone in very short spurts as you enter the "go straight to jail" category pretty quickly- at least where I live.

The GT4 is noticeably less powerful but equally confidence inspiring. In my hands the car feels at least as stable as the GT3, and honestly more fun to drive. It gives credibility to the old expression "more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow." I believe this is a huge part of the visceral appeal of this car. You feel like you can push it…..drive it hard and have fun on public roads.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:39 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

The GT4 or any 981 is more easy for street fun driving
whenever no cops around you can push on the car limit for an easy smiling

regular 981 was only missing the sufficient power to do that and GT4 filled
the gap

718 S also will fill the regular 981 gap...

The 991 GT3 / RS is totally different story compared to 981 GT4

it s the zenith of 911 in performance
she s so seriously refined that pushing the limits
on street to have some fun shoots you to the
hyperspace

not easy to manage it while cops traffic ppl are still on earth

To enjoy the better than GT4 performances you need luckily a not too far track plus
a not too far canyons or in
my case Alps

Only then you ll smile more in a GT3 /RS than in a GT4

Last edited by fxz; 12-22-2015 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:18 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by ak432
Interesting to read the comments on this thread. As far as performance goes, it must have been an unusual GT4 to feel slower than a cayman gts (PDK or no PDK) A car that is lighter, has 50 more Hp and a torquier motor….not to mention Porsche's own performance figures that show significant separation between the two. I have driven a cayman gts, and while I really liked the car, in my hands it felt noticeably slower than my gt4.
Agreed that, on paper, the GT4 should feel plenty muscular, but somehow it falls a bit short of that. I think it has to do with the shape of the torque/hp curve and how that works with the gearing. The car doesn't feel weak, just weaker than one might expect given the specs and its being a Porsche GT car. It's not a dealbreaker, it's still a great car.

(Disclosure: We have a 991 GT3, GT4, Cayman R, 997.1 C2S, and a couple other more practical cars.)

Originally Posted by fxz
it s the zenith of 911 in performance
she s so seriously refined that pushing the limits
on street to have some fun shoots you to the
hyperspace
LOL, when hammering the GT3 on the road, I've often thought to myself "holy ****, this thing's going to fly off the road and go into orbit!"
Old 12-22-2015, 10:11 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Guys. If yu want a GT4 try a GT3.

Heres a wee outake from one of my regular New Zealand weekend drives. We have 1000km of roads like this if you know where to go. This is abut as much fun as you can have in a manual. The car is somewhere between RS & Cup spec on the suspension front.

Yu get to see sme nice scenery too.

P.S. This 993 is quicker than EVERY car we have had on those roads in the last few years (regulars include my 991 GT3, Cayman R, 2 x 997 TT, 997C4S, RS60 boxster.

Just alot of fun. We usually go ut for 2hours solid driving like this. Never above 100mph on the straights but we live fr the uphill and downhill twisties...

From 1.23s gets twisty...

If you have a GT3 and thinking to add a GT4 get a nicely breathed on 964/993 with real steering and no drivers aids...

Northland Run Sept 2015 with Jake in tow 1994 993 - YouTube

This is a little uphill bit.

Sorry quality is rubbish and doesnt seem very quick in video. Bette rmaybe just to see the roads we drive here...

Northland Sept 2015 Out take Porsche 993 - YouTube
You know I have a breathed on CUP spec 964RSA and I have driven a lot of NZ roads and color me green of envy that you were able to put the 2 together. Added to bucket list. Maybe ship 964 for Rally..
Old 12-22-2015, 11:08 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 169 Posts

Agreed that, on paper, the GT4 should feel plenty muscular, but somehow it falls a bit short of that. I think it has to do with the shape of the torque/hp curve and how that works with the gearing. The car doesn't feel weak, just weaker than one might expect given the specs and its being a Porsche GT car. It's not a dealbreaker, it's still a great car.
Agreed. I think the torque and power are there but they just don't come on as aggressively. I bet shorter gearing and a lighter flywheel would totally change the experience even without really adding any power.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:52 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

With the aim of adding to any confusion or indecision you still have (), I'll note that the Cayman R has considerably more of the go-kart feeling than the GT4, in my and my wife's opinion. The Cayman R feels smaller, lower, lighter, more agile, more mid-engine, and more lively in the steering wheel. The GT4 has a larger, more luxurious and refined feel, though it also feels (and is) more capable, and the smaller steering wheel is a win for the GT4. If you often have to drive on subpar roads, the Cayman R may beat you up too much, but otherwise the Cayman R is a real contender to the GT4 as a fun driver's road car.

I quickly bonded with the GT4, but my wife - who has done lots of track days and may start instructing next year - hasn't yet bonded to it the way she has with the Cayman R.
Interesting, not a GT4 vs. Cayman R comparison, but my good (and fellow accomplished driver) friend and I were doing back-to-backs with his Cayman R on the street vs. my GT3. Very different feel, but he was ready to toss his Cayman R in the trash and go find a GT3 after a few hours with both.

Quick Reply: Drove a GT4 today- pretty cool