991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a GT4 today- pretty cool

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Interesting, not a GT4 vs. Cayman R comparison, but my good (and fellow accomplished driver) friend and I were doing back-to-backs with his Cayman R on the street vs. my GT3. Very different feel, but he was ready to toss his Cayman R in the trash and go find a GT3 after a few hours with both.
The GT3 is kind of a monster compared to the GT4 and Cayman R. But the latter two have their relative virtues also, and so IMO it's not irrational to have them instead of (or preferably in addition to) the GT3. Now that we have all three, it will be difficult to part with any of these cars, since each is special and adds enjoyment in its own way.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ak432
Interesting to read the comments on this thread. As far as performance goes, it must have been an unusual GT4 to feel slower than a cayman gts (PDK or no PDK) A car that is lighter, has 50 more Hp and a torquier motor….not to mention Porsche's own performance figures that show significant separation between the two. I have driven a cayman gts, and while I really liked the car, in my hands it felt noticeably slower than my gt4.

As an owner of a 997.1 RS and a 991 GT3, I agree that there is no comparison between either of these cars with EACH other or with the GT4. The 991 GT3 is a rocket..crazy fast and so stable and SO confidence inspiring. On public roads, it is possible to push the car to its enjoyment zone in very short spurts as you enter the "go straight to jail" category pretty quickly- at least where I live.

The GT4 is noticeably less powerful but equally confidence inspiring. In my hands the car feels at least as stable as the GT3, and honestly more fun to drive. It gives credibility to the old expression "more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow." I believe this is a huge part of the visceral appeal of this car. You feel like you can push it…..drive it hard and have fun on public roads.
You want to feel a rocket, drive a 991 Turbo, every day, I can't believe how much faster it is than my 991 GT3. It doesn't replace a GT3 by any means, but damn the speed difference is much more than I expected. Reminds of the difference from my 981 boxster S, compared to my GT3, but with the difference being assessable in the much lower RPM's to boot.

Can't wait to get another GT3 again, but I'm preparing myself for how much slower its going to feel.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:29 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The GT3 is kind of a monster compared to the GT4 and Cayman R. But the latter two have their relative virtues also, and so IMO it's not irrational to have them instead of (or preferably in addition to) the GT3. Now that we have all three, it will be difficult to part with any of these cars, since each is special and adds enjoyment in its own way.
i agree, which is why I stand with 5 Porsches in the stable at the moment. (no Caymans, though)
Old 12-22-2015, 02:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes Alex that's the North a Island. It has the best tight unpopulated challenging driving roads IMO, however the South Island had the most beautiful sweeping scenic roads although they have some really epic roads like the one you talk about over the crown ranges. We do all the South Island tracks every other year and last year took the 993 and I have a dawn raid video somewhere of that switchback. Lovely place to visit down there.

Peter. Your RSA would be alot of fun as a Targa car. If you wanted to keep it sane coast wise the just join us in the Tour. 5 days of closed roads, you need a helmet but not a full cage.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Its a race legal car so it comes with a cage and stuff.
When is it, who's shipping cars form US to NZ? I'll put it in my calendar.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Peter. The link is www.targa.co.nz. The 5 day Targa New Zealand is in October.. I can send you some info by email.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:26 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
You want to feel a rocket, drive a 991 Turbo, every day, I can't believe how much faster it is than my 991 GT3. It doesn't replace a GT3 by any means, but damn the speed difference is much more than I expected. Reminds of the difference from my 981 boxster S, compared to my GT3, but with the difference being assessable in the much lower RPM's to boot. Can't wait to get another GT3 again, but I'm preparing myself for how much slower its going to feel.
Funny, I thought my GT3 felt felt much closer to my turbo than I had expected. I like it just not everyday driving. The turbo s is a great everyday car.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:51 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by jlee504
Funny, I thought my GT3 felt felt much closer to my turbo than I had expected. I like it just not everyday driving. The turbo s is a great everyday car.
A 991 turbo(looks to be in your avatar)? In my experience, Not even close, especially in the low rpm's, the pull is so much more accessible and so much stronger in the turbo I can barely compare them. Of course the 0-60 and the quarter mile quantify the obvious differences in speed between the two. Just being objective after owning both and look forward to getting another gt3 at some point, as nothing compares to the feel, hell maybe a gt2 that's hopefully forth coming to satiate my speed appetite the turbo has exposed me to.

You have the ultimate duo there, that's for sure.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:00 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

I always found that the Turbo has more of a kick(after slight lag) so it gives you the impression it is so fast. My 997.2 Turbo I used to say that after a split second it kicked like a bull. I find that in Turbo engines that is some times how they act. The GT3 is normally aspirated with high rpms. It gets you to 60 almost just a quick but it is a whole different experience/ride getting there. Never really cared for how the Turbos do it. But - I have yet to try a 991 Turbo so maybe they are different now
Old 12-22-2015, 11:04 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

The ultimate duo would be an RS!!

Though like Jimmy i may add a GT4 for variety. But then i keep thinking I should get another marque completely for real variety!!

I just got a Range Rover Supercharged and that is waaaaay different..love it.

Jeff

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
A 991 turbo(looks to be in your avatar)? In my experience, Not even close, especially in the low rpm's, the pull is so much more accessible and so much stronger in the turbo I can barely compare them. Of course the 0-60 and the quarter mile quantify the obvious differences in speed between the two. Just being objective after owning both and look forward to getting another gt3 at some point, as nothing compares to the feel, hell maybe a gt2 that's hopefully forth coming to satiate my speed appetite the turbo has exposed me to.

You have the ultimate duo there, that's for sure.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:10 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I always found that the Turbo has more of a kick(after slight lag) so it gives you the impression it is so fast. My 997.2 Turbo I used to say that after a split second it kicked like a bull. I find that in Turbo engines that is some times how they act. The GT3 is normally aspirated with high rpms. It gets you to 60 almost just a quick but it is a whole different experience/ride getting there. Never really cared for how the Turbos do it. But - I have yet to try a 991 Turbo so maybe they are different now
The thrust between the 7.2 and 1.1 TTS are not really comparable.

There is no sudden gush of torque. There's just a gush of torque.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:21 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by jlee504
The ultimate duo would be an RS!!

Though like Jimmy i may add a GT4 for variety. But then i keep thinking I should get another marque completely for real variety!!

I just got a Range Rover Supercharged and that is waaaaay different..love it.

Jeff
Agreed and I'm working on it. And yes I fight the same internal battle, maybe better to go for a 650 or 675 mc but where do I service them and can I really stand the endless attention they get, not to mention they are a little silly looking. Or what about a used 458, always been a huge Ferrari fan but car while stunning and sounds great, I found it pretty lame to drive. Maybe a scud and on and on lol.

Had a bunch of Range Rovers and actually went backward and got a 2015 lr4, getting rid of my sports which just didn't feel like Range Rover anymore. Likely will get the diesel when it comes up, yet still stick with the lr4 unless they neuter it.

And then again, maybe a gt4,I loved my 981 s
Old 12-22-2015, 11:23 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The thrust between the 7.2 and 1.1 TTS are not really comparable.

There is no sudden gush of torque. There's just a gush of torque.
Yeah, no comparison and no comparison between my old 991 gt3 vs my 991 turbo.

Look at this video and the terrible start by the turbo, but look at the outcome

I'm just talking straight line pull, nothing else, as the cars serve different purposes
Old 12-23-2015, 12:58 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

I am pretty sure my X5m would give both a run for their money in a drag race....not sure what that has to do with GT4 experience. The GT4 is 100HP down on the GT3. It has a superior chassis (but inferior rear suspension), and fewer electronic tricks, and weighs less. It's going to drive differently - but given it's close to half the price of a GT3, its not going to check the "I've arrived at the top of the P-car pyramid" box for all of those with confidence issues (despite how important round headlights are). As a track car, unless you can distance yourself from the value of the car, you'll never learn how to drive. So pick the car you can afford to write off and continue looking forward to spending time with your family.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:16 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,477 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Drove a GT4 a couple of times for over 75 miles. Not pooing on any ones parade. I thought the car was pretty meh. It didn't appeal to me like my 997.2 GT3 or my 991GT3. It handles great, shifter is great, but engine/gearing frankly seemed slower than a Cayman GTS owner i had for a week. There really isn't anything special about the car besides the manual if you own a 997 or 991 GT3. Both of these cars had an engine that gives the car so much character. Now, i understand the price proposition is pretty strong for a 90k GT4 but it really is very lacking in the powertrain which really detracts from the soul of the car IMHO.
Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I am pretty sure my X5m would give both a run for their money in a drag race....not sure what that has to do with GT4 experience. The GT4 is 100HP down on the GT3. It has a superior chassis (but inferior rear suspension), and fewer electronic tricks, and weighs less. It's going to drive differently - but given it's close to half the price of a GT3, its not going to check the "I've arrived at the top of the P-car pyramid" box. As a track car, unless you can distance yourself from the value of the car, you'll never learn how to drive. So pick the car you can afford to write off and continue looking forward to spending time with your family.

Not a sensible fight to compare performance metrics on this - it would be illogical for the GT3 not to be superior to the GT4 by every meaningful objective measure.

I think the opinion that the GT4 is mediocre and slower than the GTS is an outlier relative to nearly unanimous praise for the car and should, with all due respect, be ignored.

The real question is which car ticks the emotional boxes. I can see how a car that is manual, easier to exploit on the street and substantially cheaper could be more fun to drive. It seems that this was the opinion of the evo crew and it's a legitimate point of view. It doesn't change the fact that the GT3 is an exceptional car.

Looks are subjective - I do think that the GT3 is a meaner looking car, but the GT4 is pretty hot in it's own right and distinctly different. I can easily see how someone would like the way it looks better - as the proportions are a little more balanced. This is not an uncommon opinion among non-Porschephiles

More power to OP if he can separate himself from the ego component of owning the "halo" car and going with the car that really clicks for him. Personally, the lack of a manual in a street car will always be a tough one for me to swallow.

Quick Reply: Drove a GT4 today- pretty cool