991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticker shock, don't crash the RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 02:42 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
It is just very difficult to save weight anywhere else.

Just look at BMW who have given up (mostly) on special body parts after the e60 and the cars are just incredibly heavy. And that is after the engineers have optimized out construction when it doesn't affect cost, especially in unsprung weight.

A lot of engineering time already went into all the low hanging fruit.

And who knows, maybe it is very good business for Porsche to provide those super expensive body panels. These profits might be a significant part of their overall calculation when offering the GT cars so cheap (before rarity). And they don't make the buyers too angry since it is usually an insurance picking up the bill for body panels.
Until they stop pretending i.e. 1 gearbox able to fit
base models to huge torque of TurboS and reusing them for motorsport(?) models

i am pretending from a 200k car much more figure out for 250k
it hasn t to weight more than 1300kg the rest is trash
and less is impossible (from a reasonable price standpoint) without being unlegal (safety on street)
Old 11-20-2015, 06:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin
I am in the biz here... Here is another point that hasn't been brought up. If there is a total loss the insurance company is liable for the value of the car at the time of the loss. So I am sure that their database does not have any info on these cars, so next resort is a search on the net! What prices will they find!?!?!!?!?!?!
In our country the policy will pay maximum of the RRP on a total loss within two years of new. If the car is no longer available for them to replace it with they will give you a cheque. Issue is if the speculative market is paying 100k over they will not pay this out as part of insurance so a total loss at the track for a 991GT3 will pay out say 180k when it could cost 250k to actually find a replacement!!
Old 11-20-2015, 06:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
If you look at what they weight the hood and the roof save about 20lb over a stock CarreraS. For $50k I can have 20lb removed from me and plenty of change lol!
I'm gonna stop eating and drinking beer as soon as I finish my beer.
Hadn't had track insurance but I'll also have track insurance. And a GT4.
If you click on my signature you will see plenty of Youtubes with drovers almost cutting the nose of my RS.

Originally Posted by bronson7
I really think the reality of all these specialty replacement parts is gone a bit too far. Overall cost of the RS at msrp is fine, but its the cost of replacement parts that seem way out of wack. I wonder for the guys that truly want to track their cars, would they if they paid msrp vs mark up over msrp?
The RS is the track worthy new 458 by Porsche. So parts cost accordingly.

What's a GT4 front fender cost....
Old 11-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,376 Likes on 2,489 Posts

Speaking of weight, gas weighs about 6 pounds per gallon, and the full extended range tank is about 24 gallons, so about 140 pounds difference between full and empty tank. That's a lot of weight, yet people hardly talk about how it affects lap time and balance of the car.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Speaking of weight, gas weighs about 6 pounds per gallon, and the full extended range tank is about 24 gallons, so about 140 pounds difference between full and empty tank. That's a lot of weight, yet people hardly talk about how it affects lap time and balance of the car.
Manifold. Don't forget the window washer water. There is 5-6lb there just running it empty!! In my 993 it was a 6l unit so 13lb full!!
Old 11-20-2015, 07:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I'm always on empty, anything to set off my 250lbs..
Old 11-21-2015, 12:27 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

I am probably going to regret saying this.... Why would anyone put a car on a track surface to drive the snot out of it, if they can't walk away from a shunt without a bottle of valium? I don't get it. It's going to be the slowest car on the track if you're afraid of it.

Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  7.8 KB
Old 11-21-2015, 12:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

So true. Cheapest modification I made to my car which improved my lap times by over 1.5s a lap consistently was not tires or aero but full cover track insurance lol!
Old 11-21-2015, 05:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,688 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I called the dealer to get the air scoop inserts ordered (so I can paint them UV) but didn't when he told me they list at over $600 each. That's not the shock though as while he was on that parts page, he told me the price of the front fender on the RS. Ready for it? $14,000 each!! I'm pretty sure my insurance company has no clue as to RS parts pricing. Ouch!
could have told you that, hood is over 10k as well. that's why i hated all the CF panel on my 4.0. and here we got ppl hell bent to save a few pounds.... i think cheap alum is just fine.

Originally Posted by silverrules
Unbelievable. wonder what's the cost for the roof, $50K?
very close

i plan to park my in the living room. and put soft pads through out the house
Old 11-21-2015, 09:57 AM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
I was trying to decide if I should track mine, now it's an easy NO!. Easy get - off: Damage $60k, Depreciation for damage $50k, Loss of "above" market value $50k. Total LOSS for "Mild" accident $160KKK. NO. I'll just run my Viper. Best, Allan

Simple
Sell RS to one of the sheeple for $100k + profit
Re-purchase Mexico Blue GT3 from avatar
Enjoy blue car on street, Viper on track
Problem solved

Bill
Old 11-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Ignoring the price gouging - I paid list, the RS is way cheaper than running a new cup car on the track. CF parts for a Cup car aren't cheap either. I don't want to go the truck trailer rooute nor buy an engine and tranny refresh at 40-70 hours. So the RS makes sense to me and I love tracking it., I will love it more when I can get some decent wheels and sticky tires for it. The Cup2s overheat after 4 laps and spoil the fun.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:37 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

+1. MPSC2 feel great to me but I'm comparing to Toyo's LOL.
And that's why I won't try slicks
Old 11-21-2015, 12:29 PM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake;12777502? I don't get it. It's going to be the slowest car on the track if you're afraid of it.

[ATTACH
993308[/ATTACH]

So true, my problem is my testosterone levels are to high. All that worrying goes out the window! I know I have issues, hence why I bought this! It is a total hoot to drive and super cheap to maintain.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:39 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin
So true, my problem is my testosterone levels are to high. All that worrying goes out the window! I know I have issues, hence why I bought this! It is a total hoot to drive and super cheap to maintain.
I love it. There was one for sale at the local track last year but I'm too big to climb in and out the window
Old 11-21-2015, 02:08 PM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I love it. There was one for sale at the local track last year but I'm too big to climb in and out the window
Sam you can fit! I am 270 6'2"
I took my porta power and oped up the seat! I fit like a glove.
I can say that I need a friend to help me with 4 point harness as I have athletic build and cannot grab the shoulder harness.
I must admit it does take practice getting in and out but you can do it Sam!

I PROMISE IF YOU SPEND A DAY IN MY CAR YOU WOULD WRITE ME A CHECK AND BUY IT!

Quick Reply: Sticker shock, don't crash the RS