Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticker shock, don't crash the RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 09:17 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

In the BIG scope of things, isn't the roof, hood, and special material bumper stuff just overkill?? Marketing fluff? I know SOME weight savings but still ....

Really going to shave off that much lap time that a few pointers wouldn't go further? If building a true track car, why not make reasonable replacements (GT3 prices)? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:41 AM
FRP||
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
There s no need to end up on the roof

many events asking to think the roof worth 1kg for $$k repair in case

just hailstorm (very common around )
or a stone (medium probabilty)

or a tree or a criminal (less probable)
Bondo and body fill my friend!
Old 11-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Leadfoot01
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
This thread illustrates perfectly why the RS is a pointless car. Amazing car it is, and, most definitely gorgeous to look at. But look at all the people already saying basically that they wont track this car due to repair costs. I can't blame them either. But this car is DESIGNED to be a track car that can be used on the street and not the other way around such as the Turbo. Further proof that the Ferrari/Lambo museum piece keeper has infiltrated into the Porsche Marquee. Totally sad, but also very understandable with the RS's price point and how much you stand to lose and take on a depreciation from repairs if needed.
The exact point I've been making in other threads. Couldn't agree more
Old 11-20-2015, 10:13 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I really think the reality of all these specialty replacement parts is gone a bit too far. Overall cost of the RS at msrp is fine, but its the cost of replacement parts that seem way out of wack. I wonder for the guys that truly want to track their cars, would they if they paid msrp vs mark up over msrp?
Old 11-20-2015, 10:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
In the BIG scope of things, isn't the roof, hood, and special material bumper stuff just overkill?? Marketing fluff? I know SOME weight savings but still .... Really going to shave off that much lap time that a few pointers wouldn't go further? If building a true track car, why not make reasonable replacements (GT3 prices)? Correct me if I'm wrong.
If you look at what they weight the hood and the roof save about 20lb over a stock CarreraS. For $50k I can have 20lb removed from me and plenty of change lol!
Old 11-20-2015, 10:27 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

It might be time to get a mold made of the fenders and hood from our carbon fiber guy. Last time I checked with him I could get 997 fenders in Carbon for $1500 each
Old 11-20-2015, 10:43 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

In the BIG scope of things, isn't the roof, hood, and special material bumper stuff just overkill?? Marketing fluff? I know SOME weight savings but still ....

Really going to shave off that much lap time that a few pointers wouldn't go further? If building a true track car, why not make reasonable replacements (GT3 prices)? Correct me if I'm wrong.
+1
Why not a light PDK S saving 50 kg at least
rather than marketing fluff for maybe 1 kg (but less compared to carbon)?
? I see the roof is
all about Customers pockets when
1 Buying the car
2 Replacing
while the PDK
ask for PAG RnD pocket as well so muuuch less profit
but don t tell me a 400grams saved on roof is worth a 50kg saved on pdk
Old 11-20-2015, 10:49 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macca
If you look at what they weight the hood and the roof save about 20lb over a stock CarreraS. For $50k I can have 20lb removed from me and plenty of change lol!
You bring up a good point. Any handicaps at the track based on drivers weight? Lipo anyone??
Old 11-20-2015, 10:55 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
It might be time to get a mold made of the fenders and hood from our carbon fiber guy. Last time I checked with him I could get 997 fenders in Carbon for $1500 each
Getty Design has a 991 CF Hood for $1,239, Cup CF Doors for $2,599. They have the entire coachwork for the 981, but I guess haven't had the demand for the 991 yet. I'm sure they could do some fenders with vents.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the biz here...
Here is another point that hasn't been brought up.

If there is a total loss the insurance company is liable for the value of the car at the time of the loss. So I am sure that their database does not have any info on these cars, so next resort is a search on the net! What prices will they find!?!?!!?!?!?!
Old 11-20-2015, 11:31 AM
STG
Race Director

Trust me, if one gets a claim (which will happen), word will spread pretty quickly among the insurers. Premiums $$ ^^
Old 11-20-2015, 12:49 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Trust me, if one gets a claim (which will happen), word will spread pretty quickly among the insurers. Premiums $$ ^^
My fear exactly.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:04 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 415 Posts

I agree. So let's delete this thread...
Old 11-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
A guy backed into my 458 and the rear bumper cap was 8K. My RS will never see the track. If I were going to track a car it would be something fun but not worth 300K.

Everything is relative. There are plenty of people who can afford to destroy a 300k car.
True, I saw a Ferrari 330GTO running at Lime Rock a few years back. I'm sure running the RS wouldn't concern them at all.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:39 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It is just very difficult to save weight anywhere else.

Just look at BMW who have given up (mostly) on special body parts after the e60 and the cars are just incredibly heavy. And that is after the engineers have optimized out construction when it doesn't affect cost, especially in unsprung weight.

A lot of engineering time already went into all the low hanging fruit.

And who knows, maybe it is very good business for Porsche to provide those super expensive body panels. These profits might be a significant part of their overall calculation when offering the GT cars so cheap (before rarity). And they don't make the buyers too angry since it is usually an insurance picking up the bill for body panels.

Quick Reply: Sticker shock, don't crash the RS