Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tests of GT3 compared to the RS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It will be fun to find out what the Ring delta is (given that it's a high speed road effectively) when "power slider" gets his hands on one. He stated on the other thread corrected for the speed trap he's around 7.28 in the GT3 on Trofeo R and has done 7.27 in the Speciale before speed restriction also on Trofeo. Only other changes from stock was geo. as he is a talented stature and all his runs are captured on film then posted on YouTube I'm very curious to see what he can do with the RS. Given how close he is running to factory times in every one of his cars his ultimate lap and subsequent feedback on here will clear up a lot of such questions. My belief is the aero will be useful at the ring as the corners are fast. I expect he will post a corrected 7.25 or 7.24...

Was there ever an official time at the Ring set for the RS?
Old 11-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Physics just doesn't agree with these statements - Downforce is calculated with fixed variables other than the Velocity squared for a given vehicle and given angle of attack.

The RS has more downforce at every speed, including slower speeds. Then you add Mechanical Grip advantages and it just makes even less sense.
But more aggressive aero means that downforce will increase more with speed for the RS than the GT3. And we're not talking about overall grip, we're talking about balance characteristics.

Regardless of whether it's due to aero, RWS, etc., that video from Randy does indicate issues with the looseness of the car at lower speeds. Maybe the setup of that particular car is whack, maybe the track is a factor ... I don't know.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:58 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
See comment at 7:40
Yes...I remember him saying it just not quite clear as to why it would be? Must be down to RS setup that favors loading from downforce but when not loaded leads to car being loose? I've not heard this feedback from those that have tracked the RS yet so its interesting feedback. My suspicion...track was whack!

Last edited by sccchiii; 11-13-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:03 PM
Derek RS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman32
I think for the most people that talking **** about RS wish they can have one.
+1
Old 11-13-2015, 10:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I remember hearing something similar in one of the video reviews - albeit not in direct comparison to the GT3 and certainly not using "scary loose" as a description. Now I have to watch them all again to find it. Edit: found it - see comment at 7:40 Video Link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PSX7EGZ5reY
Ok. That's interesting. I didn't know Randy said that. It's not a trait of the GT3 that I have felt or heard mentioned. So I don't think it is the RWS personally.

If the spring rates and dampers are tuned for downforce then one assumes the relationship with speed is proportional. I imagine this is why there is a compromise with rubbing that is difficult to eliminate in the RS. However in the real world there must be under deceleration a rate of change in downforce that a physical mechanical system will struggle to match as track surface condition (bumps every etc) co efficient of friction surface, geometry (variable under braking etc) cannot hope to match. I should say this is true for all heavy non active aero track cars with lots of downforce. Usually a race team will trim the car for the course and the driver will adapt accordingly. Now I'm well out of my depth on physics and mechanics so will run away and award for PeteVb to tell us how it rally works ;-)
Old 11-13-2015, 10:07 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Both are great cars. Would I Buy a GT3 RS if I could get one at MSRP? No I would not. But hear me out. I do not track. I think the Gt3 is the prettier of the two but the presence of the Gt3 RS, if you have seen it up close is unreal. It is a beast. Not pretty- but business. Not a fan of the wing either because function is insignificant to me. I am happy for all those who want it and get it. When I see some one on the road with it I will admire it like I do most high end sport cars because I am just a huge fan.
I think if I had room for 2 cars I would want the GT4 but if the 991.2 GT3 is Manual then my dream will be realized.
I am certainly interested in what the numbers would look like with the GT3 against the RS. The RS is a hell of a machine. When I saw it at my Dealer last month in their warehouse it is just so freakin intimidating. Should not be street legal. If that pulled up to me at a light he would be hard not to admire it
Old 11-13-2015, 10:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Yes...I remember him saying it just not quite clear as to why it would be? Must be down to suspension setup that favors loading from downforce but when not loaded leads to car being loose? I've not heard this feedback from those that have tracked the RS yet so its interesting feedback. My suspicion...track was whack!
Actually someone just PMd me that the comment of looseness and tricky in the corners was mentioned in written press with two other journalists, one driving a UV car. Can anyone which? I think it might have been Frankel (but he can't drive well IMO). A third car came off in day two I've been told. However I think it's because BB is a very technical track with a lot of non sighted corners and elevation changes with relatively in experienced journo pilots so I don't think there may be any relationship here with the aero....
Old 11-13-2015, 10:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lanpa8
+1
Post pictures and feedback after a dozen track days?
Old 11-13-2015, 10:14 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Post pictures and feedback after a dozen track days?
I am sure the grip will be just fine parked as a garage queen.. LOL.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:21 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Actually someone just PMd me that the comment of looseness and tricky in the corners was mentioned in written press with two other journalists, one driving a UV car. Can anyone which? I think it might have been Frankel (but he can't drive well IMO). A third car came off in day two I've been told. However I think it's because BB is a very technical track with a lot of non sighted corners and elevation changes with relatively in experienced journo pilots so I don't think there may be any relationship here with the aero....
Frankel had issues, but he was very messy.

If you want to see looseness and tricky in corners take a look at this video of Pat Long in a Cup - if the RS is a step closer to this than the GT3 then I'm happier

Old 11-13-2015, 10:21 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

However I think it's because BB is a very technical track with a lot of non sighted corners and elevation changes with relatively in experienced journo pilots so I don't think there may be any relationship here with the aero....
agreed....
Old 11-13-2015, 10:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Thanks for clarifying Manifold. I wasn't sure if the two pro drivers were the same or not...
... and the two pros who drove the RS are respected pros whose names would be known to people into pro racing.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:24 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Would I Buy a GT3 RS if I could get one at MSRP? No I would not. But hear me out. I do not track. I think the Gt3 is the prettier of the two
Thank you Jimmy for recognizing this appreciate you leaving an allocation for a driver that will hopefully abuse the RS as intended

Now, the much more interesting question... How do we get you out to a circuit
Old 11-13-2015, 10:33 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

interesting but...watch or read the reviews from the latest Porsche Road Atlanta track event for journalist for GT4 and GT3RS release . The event was in the rain and RA is a handful in the rain. If I recall almost all said the RS was easier to drive in those conditions than the GT4.

here is a cut from the AutoWeek article.
The Cayman GT4? A different animal. Not worse, different. Like the GT3RS, the Cayman has its own bodywork, including a rear wing generating 220 pounds of downforce. The GT4 doesn’t feel quite as planted and controlled as the RS; it is slightly twitchier, more on edge. Not a complaint, just an observation. It just doesn’t inspire quite as much confidence as the RS, especially coming off corners. Maybe the RS’ rear engine and the extra weight help with traction. Or maybe the RS is just better on a wet track.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...#ixzz3rQg2pqRp
Old 11-13-2015, 10:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NateOZ
If you want to see looseness and tricky in corners take a look at this video of Pat Long in a Cup - if the RS is a step closer to this than the GT3 then I'm happier
I think that's also Long's driving style though, not necessarily indicative of looseness or trickiness in corners. Here's an entertaining example:

Quick Reply: Any tests of GT3 compared to the RS?