Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tests of GT3 compared to the RS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 12:52 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 640 Likes on 422 Posts

Bias works both ways. Some GT3 guys seem to talk down the RS to some extent, why? Maybe sick of the hype, don't have the latest and greatest, annoyed by premiums they are commanding, whatever. They are both great cars, hard to say bad things about either. At sticker, the RS is worth it if you can get one (yes, I know, hard to get...) I would venture to say that most (everyone) here with the means would take an RS at sticker over the GT3. Whether the $50k diff is worth it is up to each of us (speed/grip, midrange power, unobtainium crank, looks, sound, exclusivity, rate of depreciation...)
Old 11-11-2015, 01:10 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
Bias works both ways. Some GT3 guys seem to talk down the RS to some extent, why? Maybe sick of the hype, don't have the latest and greatest, annoyed by premiums they are commanding, whatever. They are both great cars, hard to say bad things about either. At sticker, the RS is worth it if you can get one (yes, I know, hard to get...) I would venture to say that most (everyone) here with the means would take an RS at sticker over the GT3. Whether the $50k diff is worth it is up to each of us (speed/grip, midrange power, unobtainium crank, looks, sound, exclusivity, rate of depreciation...)
I suspect the delta is somewhat lower once you add options to the GT3. If I configure the GT3 the way I'd like it would be about $164K, the RS comes in at around $200K configured. Semantics, but still "only" $36K real world dollars.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:10 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
MY WALLET AND WIFE TEST RESULTS ARE BACK

WIFE HATES THEM EQUALLY

WALLET HATES THE RS MORE
Lol! I'm guessing your wife may not know what your wallet knows.

Well said.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,504 Likes on 2,562 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Agreed to disagree. I cannot ever remember a GT3 and RS back to back comparison directly on the track. That's kind of a high bar. If someone has driven both extensively and can comment from memory that's good enough for me. To be clear, I don't know if in the end I will feel that it is worth the price difference or not. I loved my GT3 and don't have anything bad to say about it. I think that for most, the cost difference will be about 50K. And with the assumption that the car will be no worse than the GT3, and may hold it's value better, my guess is that in the end some will like it better.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias

FWIW, I'm open to at least considering replacing my GT3 with an RS (at MSRP, if allocation becomes available) if the subjective experience of tracking it is substantially more sublime, but financial aspects may make me reluctant to track it, which would then make it a no go. And the regular GT3 is certainly an awesome track car as is. Or maybe I'll just save money and get a spec Miata or spec Boxster ...
Old 11-11-2015, 01:20 PM
Tre
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe most comparisons will always have a bias outside of raw track times done on the same day by the same driver. Emotion plays a huge role in reviews; subjective opinions on gearbox, price differences, looks, etc when it comes to both cars. For most owners here, the differences that Porsche designed into the RS will rarely to never be exploited. So then the monetary difference most likely becomes the most noticeable factor with looks/aesthetics coming in next. How does one justify the ~$50k difference if performance figures are negligible? Bottom line, emotion...just as is the case when one chooses any car over its nearest competitor.

If you own a GT3, it's the best car for what you want it for. If it wasn't, why would you still have it? If you purchased an RS, then I'm sure it was the right choice for you at the time of your purchase. If it wasn't, then you'll sell it. But how many go back to a 1.3 if they previously owned and sold one?
Old 11-11-2015, 01:22 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From what a friend who has both, he is of the same opinion as others that the RS is better but its not massive. Would love to see some lap times from EVO etc...

I will know in March as something Purple this way comes....
Old 11-11-2015, 01:22 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 640 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias

FWIW, I'm open to at least considering replacing my GT3 with an RS (at MSRP, if allocation becomes available) if the subjective experience of tracking it is substantially more sublime, but financial aspects may make me reluctant to track it, which would then make it a no go. And the regular GT3 is certainly an awesome track car as is. Or maybe I'll just save money and get a spec Miata or spec Boxster ...
Are you referring to the outright cost of the car and concern over damage? Assume so since the consumables (brakes, tires, fluids) shouldn't be much different between the two.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:27 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3
From what a friend who has both, he is of the same opinion as others that the RS is better but its not massive. Would love to see some lap times from EVO etc...

I will know in March as something Purple this way comes....
+1 - Same way the GT4 to GT3 difference is small. It comes down to what you emotionally prefer as much as anything. For me I love the history of the RS, but really enjoy the 981 chassis so it's RS > GT4 > GT3.

It might change after the RS arrives, but I love my 981 Track Car...
Old 11-11-2015, 02:18 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Are you referring to the outright cost of the car and concern over damage? Assume so since the consumables (brakes, tires, fluids) shouldn't be much different between the two.
All of it. More expensive tires, higher insurance cost, higher crash repair costs due to more exotic materials, lower depreciation for RS but RS depreciation impacted by tracking it, etc. If I got an RS, it would be low options, like my GT3.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:29 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

MSRP to MSRP the GT3RS is not worth the upgrade.....

Unless I get an allocation....
Old 11-11-2015, 04:15 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

If you really want the RS, it doesn't matter if it's "worth it." You're still buying one.

There's nothing logical to this hobby. It's all emotional.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
+1 - Same way the GT4 to GT3 difference is small. It comes down to what you emotionally prefer as much as anything. For me I love the history of the RS, but really enjoy the 981 chassis so it's RS > GT4 > GT3.

It might change after the RS arrives, but I love my 981 Track Car...
Nate. You dont yet have a GT4 but own a heavily invested Cayman Race car, didn't like the GT3 (PDK?) so sold it have a RS on order and clearly the thought of flipping it for $$$ has crossed your mind.....

Im afraid mate your RS>GT4>GT3 view is bias :-)

I own GT3 (GT4 inbound) havent driven RS yet. Clearly GT3 biased right now. Im only interested, like many here, on the GT product for the track. The GTS and other product much better on our B roads (similar to UK roads). I see 991 GT3 on track but no RS here. All have been garaged queened so far. GT3 has a bit more development time at track (Trofeo R, various geo and exhaust etc). What little there is between these cars will soon be taken up in tyre vailability alone IMO. If Hankook or Toyo come to the party in the next 12 onts with a 245/305 R20 fitment (covers Ferrari & Porsche models), then with the lower cost of insurance and residual damage teh GT3 will as always become the track junkie choice. We see 8-9 x GT3 in our 65 member private Porsche group (RSG) here in NZ and not one of them are RS although we have a 997.1 GT3RS owner who comes to the track once a year and runs in a separate smaller group than us.

Dynamically the RS is the better car, no doubt, PAG wouldnt be doing their job if it wasnt. Aesthetically I personally find the GT3 much less OTT and better resolved in terms of design language. Love the 9000 rpm engine vs the 8600 (which despite what other may say was never supposed to be that way which is part of the reason it annoys me so!). I can barely afford to keep my GT3 in its R20 MPSC2 track tyre habit especially given the rising USD so I probably couldnt afford to track the RS. The RS will hold value much better than the GT3. They will never build another manual RS so I believe the residuals will stay solid. Its a great track car for those who can afford to track it and a good collectors car for those who cannot or have no interest in driving it as it was intended to be driven.

All a bit tounge in cheek and IMO of course...
Old 11-11-2015, 05:12 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 647 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
MSRP to MSRP the GT3RS is not worth the upgrade.....

Unless I get an allocation....
This to the tee!
Old 11-11-2015, 05:44 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Nate. You dont yet have a GT4 but own a heavily invested Cayman Race car, didn't like the GT3 (PDK?) so sold it have a RS on order and clearly the thought of flipping it for $$$ has crossed your mind.....

Im afraid mate your RS>GT4>GT3 view is bias :-)

I own GT3 (GT4 inbound) havent driven RS yet. Clearly GT3 biased right now. Im only interested, like many here, on the GT product for the track. The GTS and other product much better on our B roads (similar to UK roads). I see 991 GT3 on track but no RS here. All have been garaged queened so far. GT3 has a bit more development time at track (Trofeo R, various geo and exhaust etc). What little there is between these cars will soon be taken up in tyre vailability alone IMO. If Hankook or Toyo come to the party in the next 12 onts with a 245/305 R20 fitment (covers Ferrari & Porsche models), then with the lower cost of insurance and residual damage teh GT3 will as always become the track junkie choice. We see 8-9 x GT3 in our 65 member private Porsche group (RSG) here in NZ and not one of them are RS although we have a 997.1 GT3RS owner who comes to the track once a year and runs in a separate smaller group than us.

Dynamically the RS is the better car, no doubt, PAG wouldnt be doing their job if it wasnt. Aesthetically I personally find the GT3 much less OTT and better resolved in terms of design language. Love the 9000 rpm engine vs the 8600 (which despite what other may say was never supposed to be that way which is part of the reason it annoys me so!). I can barely afford to keep my GT3 in its R20 MPSC2 track tyre habit especially given the rising USD so I probably couldnt afford to track the RS. The RS will hold value much better than the GT3. They will never build another manual RS so I believe the residuals will stay solid. Its a great track car for those who can afford to track it and a good collectors car for those who cannot or have no interest in driving it as it was intended to be driven.

All a bit tounge in cheek and IMO of course...
I'm biased of course, but the main issue I had with the GT3 at my local track was downforce. It just didn't work well with my circuit and that's where I spend 99% of my track time.

So if I had to rank the three cars, the choice to me would come down to modifications to a GT3 or modifications to a GT4. The GT4 with a lower cost of entry and ample available aftermarket mods is more appealing for that reason.

My Cayman is PDK but I did drive a GT4 at my track for a couple of sessions this year. I personally would enjoy a GT4 with a small investment in an aero package more than a GT3 with an aero package. I would also feel better about doing the mods given the cost of entry is so much lower.

GT3 is a much better engine, no question, but I find the sound in the 981 different but equally engaging as the engine is right there.

GT3 felt more clinical to my hands - I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the RS is the same which is part of why I might flip it instead. With the silly money people are throwing around at the moment it seems too expensive to me to keep.

If I moved back to Australia, I would run a GT4 for cost reasons with relatively small performance lost so I hear you on the cost of running a GT3 or RS outside of the US. I honestly couldn't see myself buying an RS back in Australia as the cost of ownership is just way too high.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I'm biased of course, but the main issue I had with the GT3 at my local track was downforce. It just didn't work well with my circuit and that's where I spend 99% of my track time.
What was the problem?

Quick Reply: Any tests of GT3 compared to the RS?