991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tests of GT3 compared to the RS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:04 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by karimgt3
"Scary loose" may be hard for me to believe since no one else ever mentioned it.. i.e: jethro in the tight corners of anglesey, or harris on the technical track he was driving on..

But then again if you trust your source and this convinces you that the RS is not worth it then you've made the right choice keeping the 3!

Just saw your edit: harris seemed extremely positive about it!
Harris likes to drive sideways and is very skilled at it, so that may partly explain it. There's also the factor that pros will share things privately that they might not say on the record. But overall, I'm surprised by the comment and not sure what to make of it. Just passing along what I heard and, again, take with a grain of salt.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:19 PM
karimgt3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Harris likes to drive sideways and is very skilled at it, so that may partly explain it. There's also the factor that pros will share things privately that they might not say on the record. But overall, I'm surprised by the comment and not sure what to make of it. Just passing along what I heard and, again, take with a grain of salt.
Maybe Trakcar, or 991_RS or others can confirm?
Old 11-13-2015, 09:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by karimgt3
"Scary loose" may be hard for me to believe since no one else ever mentioned it.. i.e: jethro in the tight corners of anglesey, or harris on the technical track he was driving on.. But then again if you trust your source and this convinces you that the RS is not worth it then you've made the right choice keeping the 3! Just saw your edit: harris seemed extremely positive about it!
It's just like no one on the press launch mentioned it only revs to 8600 (not 8800 as claimed) in sport auto (or that case manual after gear 1). Likewise the rubbing under compression on high speed road tests which has happened during a number of tests but not been reported in subsequent print or video.

I have it on first hand that there were two mishaps with journos at the wheel t the Blisterberg launch one ending in a trailered car. Both accidents happened in corner after straights at moderate speeds. On the day the word circulating was that you needed to be very careful coming off the gas at the end of the straights. I do not know if this has any relevance or connection to aero however.

I don't believe this is an issue (if it is one) to be worried about, more something to just adjust your driving style on track accordingly. It's a very fast car and can achieve well on the track.

The feedback that Manifold was given is definitely interesting. The same pro I believe gave him some other feedback and advice over the last year or so that has born out to be true so there maybe something in it...
Old 11-13-2015, 09:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
The feedback that Manifold was given is definitely interesting. The same pro I believe gave him some other feedback and advice over the last year or so that has born out to be true so there maybe something in it...
Just to clarify, the pros who drove the RS are different people than the pro I've been talking with regarding setup of the GT3, so my info on RS comments isn't firsthand.

Also, to be fair, Bilsterberg looks like a circuit that could bite a lot of people in a variety of cars. Even Rohrl has to make attention-getting corrections when it appears that he's trying to be smooth:

Old 11-13-2015, 09:33 PM
Superman32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't care what other people think. I will take rs over gt3 everytime. That is why I passed 2 gt3 allocations and have a RS in my garage. Haha
Old 11-13-2015, 09:34 PM
Superman32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think for the most people that talking **** about RS wish they can have one.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:35 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Owner of either a GT3 or RS trash talking the other is a goof ball in my opinion......both are very close family members, probably a bit closer than years past. I'll take a RS for a $30k difference vs GT3 or I'll keep my 1 GT3 and be happy it doesn't matter but both cars are spectacular but for gods sakes if you are gifted with delivery of 991 RS you better F****** use it, don't turn it into a garage museum piece!!! Drives me nuts! I dream someday Porsche, Ferrari, and all others will require a paper to be signed that you are forced to put lots of miles on car or it will be repo'd and offered to the next guy that got left behind on allocation list. I guess I'll be dreaming for awhile.....
Old 11-13-2015, 09:35 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Since I'm not naming names, I don't think I'll be violating confidentiality by saying this. FWIW, I recently talked with someone who knows a couple pros who've tracked both the RS and the GT3. They both like the GT3 better, because apparently the RS can be scary loose when not going fast enough for the aero to do its job. Do take with a grain of salt but, personally, I just lost interest in getting an RS ...
I remember hearing something similar in one of the video reviews - albeit not in direct comparison to the GT3 and certainly not using "scary loose" as a description. Now I have to watch them all again to find it.

Edit: found it - see comment at 7:40

Old 11-13-2015, 09:41 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I remember hearing something similar in one of the video reviews - albeit not in direct comparison to the GT3 and certainly not using "scary loose" as a description. Now I have to watch them all again to find it.
Very hard to believe that it would perform much different than a regular GT3 before aero takes effect with speed....it's not like it produces lift at lower speeds? Wider rear track, different tire sizes, all promote more grip?
Old 11-13-2015, 09:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Superman32
I think for the most people that talking **** about RS wish they can have one.
Both Manifold and myself have GT4 orders. I turned down my RS allocation. I cannot get full cover for it on the track and my GT3 is effectively my track day car. If I weren't going to the track or I had more fiscal fortitude to drive it hard on track like I do without full insurance I would have contemplated the allocation (it was list'price). Before anyone gets upset my cars live in NZ and bought RHD out of broker in Europe....
Old 11-13-2015, 09:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks for clarifying Manifold. I wasn't sure if the two pro drivers were the same or not...
Old 11-13-2015, 09:46 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Very hard to believe that it would perform much different than a regular GT3 before aero takes effect with speed....it's not like it produces lift at lower speeds? Wider rear track, different tire sizes, all promote more grip?
See comment at 7:40

Old 11-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

IMO, this is nothing a good setup won't fix.. the RS (stock vs. stock.. Cup 2 to Cup 2), should have more mechanical grip simply due to wider tires both front and rear. Also, from factory; GT cars have bad setups. The first thing anyone should do when getting a GT3/RS is to take it to a reputable shop and get an alignment done.

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 11-13-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:49 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Balance is a function of other variables also - suspension geometry, spring rates, damping, roll bars, etc. Significant changes in that stuff are needed to enable the car to work with the high downforce at high speeds. If PetevB happens to wander around here, he can expertly explain it all.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:50 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Physics just doesn't agree with these statements - Downforce is calculated with fixed variables other than the Velocity squared for a given vehicle and given angle of attack.

The RS has more downforce at every speed, including slower speeds. Then you add Mechanical Grip advantages and it just makes even less sense.

Pros are just people and people have different opinions - I was chatting to one with drives an LMP3 seat in WEC and used drive a paid seat in a GT3 R. His favorite street-legal Porsche for the track is the TTS, he views the others as over-tyred and lacking power. Doesn't mean I'm going to run out and pick up another TTS...

Quick Reply: Any tests of GT3 compared to the RS?