Sponsored by:

picture of your garage

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 11:57 AM
cunderwood
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
I have commercial tile with an anti-slip ADA rating. It can be completely wet and it’s not slippery. It’s also color through the tile so if it does chip, not that noticeable.

The tile itself is reasonable if you get it in quantity. I have seen and tried most epoxy because I have 42 manufacturing plants, half with clean rooms. I prefer tile.

The biggest issue is always the install, with tile or epoxy.
For me, the install and wait time is the real killer here. 3 days before you can drive on it is excessive, and I just dont have anywhere to put my cast iron topped table saws, work benches, etc, that are all part of my woodworking area. the cars can go to other places, but i'm struggling to come up with a real solution to having a cleared out garage for three days.

based on that, i'm leaning towards the VCT tiles, because I could do it in workable sections, to be able to move things around in various areas while i'm laying tiles/waiting.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:12 PM
GT4 981
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts

Rent a storage trailer for a few days and back it right in and load your big stuff and sit it in the driveway until the floors ready. Best to get something done right the first time and make the best decision despite a touch more work. If you are unable to physically move the equipment someone will! Just my $0.02.

ps I struggle with making the right decisions sometimes and always regret taking the cheaper way.
The following users liked this post:
phefner (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 12:46 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by cunderwood
For me, the install and wait time is the real killer here. 3 days before you can drive on it is excessive, and I just dont have anywhere to put my cast iron topped table saws, work benches, etc, that are all part of my woodworking area. the cars can go to other places, but i'm struggling to come up with a real solution to having a cleared out garage for three days.

based on that, i'm leaning towards the VCT tiles, because I could do it in workable sections, to be able to move things around in various areas while i'm laying tiles/waiting.
How about one of those PODS that they drop in the driveway?
Old 01-10-2020, 12:49 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Also, are you going to have some air filtration for the fine dust? Or that doesn’t bother you? My OCD would kick in.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:37 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
Also, are you going to have some air filtration for the fine dust? Or that doesn’t bother you? My OCD would kick in.
Woodworking IS dust. You can take a lot of steps to keep the dust at bay. The shop gets louder with every step and consumes more energy. Negative air pressure inside that room will help a lot but be careful where the makup air comes from. If the makup air is pulled in from the outside it will also need to be filtered.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:58 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

I have VCT in the labs at my office and it always ends up looking like crap. Once a year I will bring in someone to strip, buff, and wax them but I hate the maintenance.

I did epoxy in my garage. I moved what I could into the house, basement, and shed and ended up picking a warm summer week so a few other things went in the yard with a tarp over it (tool chests, snow blower, table saw, etc). Start to finish it was a one week process. Oil, etc just wipes up.

At my fathers house we recently built a new workshop in the basement. Same flooring question came up. We ended up with a dark gray wood look porcelain through body commercial tile with a gray grout. (Over the concrete basement floor). So far, I think it is great. I am not sure if it is something I would put in a garage and drag jack stands across but it looks great.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:02 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
VCT has the benefit of being able to easily apply floor finish to it to protect from stains and make it shine. But would think it'll be prone to dents and cuts with woodworking tools should they fall. Tires marks would also be an issue unless you coat the floor well.
It is pretty soft as a material goes. For example, I have one lab at my office where I roll pallet jacks in and out of, the floor itself, not just the finish gets scratched.

Welding spatter tends to cause burn marks.

Most ammonia based cleaners will dull or strip the wax when you go to clean.

It is reasonably durable, but it does not compare to the old vinyl asbestos tile durability and it is something that requires maintenance. Which in a garage can be a problem.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:10 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 723 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by TTG
I just installed their 6 string version (4 of them total) into my garage and very happy with the out come. They are plenty bright and in the future you can upgrade the tubes to anything of your choice. I was mostly interested in the fixtures and the light out put which I am happy with both.
x3 on the Primelights, these are what is sold on Obsessed Garage (which is a solid gold stamp of approval)

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/colle...verhead-lights

Very impressed with mine.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:25 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
It is pretty soft as a material goes. For example, I have one lab at my office where I roll pallet jacks in and out of, the floor itself, not just the finish gets scratched.

Welding spatter tends to cause burn marks.

Most ammonia based cleaners will dull or strip the wax when you go to clean.

It is reasonably durable, but it does not compare to the old vinyl asbestos tile durability and it is something that requires maintenance. Which in a garage can be a problem.
Pallet jack steel wheels and the plastic rears wouldn't be friendly to any soft floor. Crap sticks to those wheels and scrapes etc.

Good epoxy and good porcelain installed properly would be best bets. Short of new sealed concrete
might be ok depending on what fluids will fall.

Agree VCT in a vehicle garage isn't a good idea. Working on vehicles or not.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:47 PM
Streetking
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 9 Posts
Default mine...

Updated pic of mine with current cars. Main garage 8 car, 3 car "everyday" houses Escalade, CtS-V & '59 Caddie, Warehouse at my office houses the rest...

SW

The following 12 users liked this post by Streetking:
AllAboutThatP (01-11-2020), cadster (01-11-2020), D1ESEL (01-23-2020), Finlander (02-18-2020), Full Boost (05-10-2021), Igooz (01-11-2020), JPMD (01-11-2020), masti99 (01-11-2020), n2cars (01-11-2020), rocris120 (07-30-2024), Thumperama (01-13-2020), TRAKCAR (01-11-2020) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-11-2020, 02:01 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 135 Posts

So bada$$ SW, I didn't go to Gregs celebration, so sorry I couldn't make it, miss that dude.
Streetking (01-13-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 02:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Pr3z
Just finished the home build here. Got half of the garage semi-done. Office over looks garage wings of the home. Other side not shown as it's a mess from moving still.

These ladies will come home from the office sometime this spring. For now they sit till winter is over in the warehouse lobby.

Perfect.
the cars also!

Wish I could just copy and paste it on my property :-)

Maxemus (01-12-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 02:58 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by osu s2k
Stained and polished

concrete
^^ RIGHT THERE is my benchmark!

Pictures are 1.5 years old before I moved in.
  1. I followed Mooty's rule: 14X24 per car. And multiplied that by 14 cars and ended with around 4,800' plus room for storage/air compressor/wheels tires/etc.
  2. I followed osusk2 rule: pour 6" (except 2-post at 10"), overkill rebar, 30 day water immersion, heated to cure. Grind to desired level, stain or not, polyurethane industrial derivative for finish
It is really hard to take picture as I designed a "dog bone" from a top view with 4 sections: Porsches, BMWs, Fords, and Work Area/Lifts/Hot Rod section.

I have never tiled, but prior shops epoxy...never again!

Trailer parking around the back, dually parking on N. side...Landscaping for shop this spring...and don't forget heated concrete pad for cold areas...

Last edited by Igooz; 01-11-2020 at 03:18 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Igooz:
911Vintage (01-13-2020), bonehead (01-11-2020), cadster (01-11-2020), osu s2k (01-11-2020), rocris120 (07-30-2024), Thumperama (01-13-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-11-2020, 05:00 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 424 Posts

These are some cool garages! I wished I lived in a city where land was cheap
lax01 (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 09:21 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by itrsteve
x3 on the Primelights, these are what is sold on Obsessed Garage (which is a solid gold stamp of approval)

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/colle...verhead-lights

Very impressed with mine.

Why not skip the middle man and buy factory direct?

Quick Reply: picture of your garage