Sponsored by:

OT:911R

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 01:10 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Actually, not true. Ford is making sure a lot of the NFGTs get in the hands of long time Ford and especially SVT buyers. The application process is going to be pretty rigourous and designed to weed out those who are just looking for an "investment". There are some VIPs that will clearly get them, no doubt, but the rest are targeted to long time Ford enthusiasts and owners like....well me. I own 6 Ford performance vehicles/SVT vehicles including a Boss 302 Trans Am TA3 car which I track regularly. I have also owned many other SVT cars in the past. I have shown my loyalty and use my cars. That's what Ford wants. I intend to fill out an application for a NFGT and hope to get one. I would keep the car as I buy cars because I love them and they move me emotionally. I don't buy cars to flip.
Awesome.... that is Fords version of how to make GT buyers happy and keep the prospectors at bay?! I'll bet my net worth that I'll go into ford GT forum in future and see the endless pages start about the nerve of ford not picking this person or that person that is the "most" Ford loyal. The reason is the same as the endless pages of gripes we read here....many of those that believe they are the most "loyal" Ford guy that deserves a GT will be left behind. Some that make it through the holy grail application process will still try to make money on them if they can and they should have that right. No perfect program exists when more buyers exist than supply can support...period.

Disclosure: I must apologize to everyone, I will refrain from continuing this rant on as I have openly criticized others for going off topic with this subject matter....I get sucked in everytime and can't help myself despite my alternate personality begging me not to do it??!!!!
Old 02-28-2016, 01:30 PM
tims16m
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by llstuey
^ Agree sccchiii
Also don't understand the comments about how Ford has "fixed" all of this with its current GT allocation program. Those allocations are VERY limited in # (way less than the RS) and are going 1. to some individuals who bought the last one and 2. to some super VIP people associated with Ford generally (read: not simply Ford car enthusiasts). Those lucky buyers will then be locked up for some period of time and eventually there will be a secondary market (private sales and at dealers) where the cars trade at huge premiums over MSRP. There will be lots of people who don't get an initial allocation direct from factory - they can complain all they want about it or buy one in the secondary market in the future at a premium.
Agreed.

There will be previous ford gt owners and SVT owners that will not get an allocation for the new ford gt. I guess those owners may have concerns about "loyalty" and say I'm buying a dodge or a toyota truck from now on. Ford has not solved anything but kicked the can down the road by bypassing the dealership.

Whether you have bought 5 or more cars from Porsche, I don't think that declares any loyalty to a brand. I think most of us have preferences but buy what we like either way and I believe Porsche marketing people know that. I just expect them to make the best car they can and let the market decide what happens next.

Waxer, why the big uproar with Porsche if you are a significant Ford SVT owner and part of their VIP group? Your bypassing a vast group of people who may have owned 10 or more Fords that want an allocation just as much. There are definitely a lot less than 300 eligible VIP clients for the 991R allocation in the US. The new ford gt will be a significantly steeper hill to climb in seeking an allocation.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:38 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,986 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Who are you kidding??? AP will just buy it from a 918 flipper.

Sorry - could not help myself and people just got to calm down.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:03 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next GT3 will have 500ho and option of same 6 speed manual
And relax...

Last edited by wtdoom; 02-28-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:11 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I think Ford is also requiring you to sign a statement that you wont sell the car for a certain amount of time,
Old 02-28-2016, 02:11 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
Next G3 will have 500ho and option of same 6 speed manual
And relax...
that would be awesome
Old 02-28-2016, 02:25 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's an idea, increase MSRP 20% on special models and build 95% of demand, retain some exclusivity, and at the same time take advantage of this new wacky scheme called corporate profit. The fact that a paying customer cannot buy a car at a given price is crazy; and that a car is sold out before they remove the curtain means they are underpriced. I'm sure the finance team in Germany feels the same way ->
Old 02-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

The 911R should have no parallels with the Ford GT or LaFerrari. Those are exotic halo models that are limited in production by their very nature.

The 911R, on the other hand, is a parts-bin special of a mass-produced car, but happens to be a collection of parts a lot of us want. If Porsche makes enough of them, the speculators go away. It wouldn't take many...I'd say 2,500-3,000 globally. What is frustrating us is not the 918 program, but that we are expecting Porsche to artificially limit supply of this car strictly for marketing purposes.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:56 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The 911R should have no parallels with the Ford GT or LaFerrari. Those are exotic halo models that are limited in production by their very nature.

The 911R, on the other hand, is a parts-bin special of a mass-produced car, but happens to be a collection of parts a lot of us want. If Porsche makes enough of them, the speculators go away. It wouldn't take many...I'd say 2,500-3,000 globally. What is frustrating us is not the 918 program, but that we are expecting Porsche to artificially limit supply of this car strictly for marketing purposes.
^ This. And if there are production constraints for the 911R, such as parts availability or line capacity with other planned cars, then they should at least price the car appropriately after the market survey is finished.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:07 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
Next GT3 will have 500ho and option of same 6 speed manual
And relax...
This would make perfect sense; what would then make the 911R special are its lightweight aspects, which is what a celebration of the original 911R should be.

However, as I mentioned in another post, what I was reading between the lines at the PCA Q&A with AP at RRV is that there will only be minimal changes to the 991.2 GT3 and RS. Adding a MT option would not be a minimal change. Hope you are right and I am wrong...I think many of us would indeed relax if the 911R is not the last N/A 911 with MT.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:12 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

I think everyone likes to feel like a VIP just once. I buy one new Porsche Carrera loaded up about every 10 yrs because it is a quality, fun to drive long lasting car. That makes me an enthusiast, right? Wrong I guess.
J
Old 02-28-2016, 03:30 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do we know what wheel size is on the R, and which 'driver aids'...?
Old 02-28-2016, 03:33 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

BTW. Hasn't this been the mantra at Ferrari for years- build one less car than the market demands? I think the significance of the final product and package is what determines long term value. Porsche enthusiasts are beating our chests at the prospect of a 500hp 911. Last I checked doesn't every other Mustang and Camaro you see on the streets now have about 500hp. True, it is not in a body that weighs 2800 lbs. Its all about the final package and quality of the product....
J
Old 02-28-2016, 03:50 PM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
It's looks like a GT3 with stripes.
-Manual.
-Lightweight interior and exterior.
-Interior in brown/black is beautiful.
-991 units
-Custom short ratios 6-speed.
-991.1 body.
-1250kg dry weight.
-1370kg DIN.

AP's fav car of all time. He is trying to buy one as well but can't as an employee.

How much $$ ?
Old 02-28-2016, 03:51 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,466 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Porsche is not Ferrari.

Ferrari's business model is predicated on exclusivity. They aren't building Cayennes and Macans. More to that point, ~25% of their profit is derived from merchandising and branding.

Porsche would do well not to alienate their traditional base, IMO.

Quick Reply: OT:911R