Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 3 Finally Arrives - Enclosed Transport Damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 02:42 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New 3 Finally Arrives - Enclosed Transport Damage

The 3 arrived yesterday in the middle of a rainy weekend here in Texas. It’s a relatively low option white configuration with sport buckets, lift, anthracite, sound plus and the free stuff. I debated on the lift but this thing is an inch lower than the 997.1 TT so added last minute. Picked up a late allocation from a PA dealer so had to have it transported via enclosed carrier.

Unfortunately, the transport wasn’t without incident. There was paint damage to the rear bumper that was immediately disclosed by the driver. Half a dozen obscenities went through my mind but I somehow managed not to verbalize them. Then I decided I’m not letting it ruin the experience - so first things first.

Today was clear and mid-70s so I headed out to a local twisty road and did about a hundred miles. WOW, this car is a keeper! I’ve never driven a GT3 but this suspension is way ahead of the 997.1 TT. The way it tracks is nothing short of phenomenal. I’m keeping revs relatively low for a couple of tanks of gas. I can only imagine what it’s like at 8K-9K and with another 200-250 HP. All previous P cars have been manual so this was my first drive in a PDK car of any type. Spent 99% of the drive in manual mode and it was just as rewarding. Didn’t miss the 6 speed manual at all but will keep a couple of future 6 spd classics just in case. IMO paddles are nicely placed and they should move with the wheel.

The one thing I don’t understand yet is the auto mode. In the standard auto mode it shifts at around 1800 RPMs. I can’t figure out why anyone would ever want this car to shift at 1800 RPMs. Maybe it’s the modern fuel mileage requirements. In the real world, the engine isn’t happy down that low and it’s not much fun listening to the transmission shoot through 5 gears in about 5 seconds. Not really a big deal because the manual mode is fantastic and where she will live unless on a track.

IMO the sport buckets are worth every penny. They fit like a glove and give the interior a sporty vibe in an otherwise luxury feeling interior. I only covered 100 miles but they were super comfortable. The Sound Plus stereo isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. After reading a few reviews here I thought I'd want to yank it out the first week. This isn't saying much, but it's better than the Bose from the 997. After adjusting the bass/treble for each source and using a high quality lossless file, it's actually decent. I noticed sound quality is highly dependent on source. It benefits significantly from HD radio and even more from the iPod Classic loaded with lossless downloads that I tucked into the glove compartment.

Now for the not so fun part. I’m not naming the transport company publicly at this point but it’s one of the larger companies. The driver said they “don’t transport motorcycles” but they put one on his truck for some unexplained reason. The problem is they loaded it behind my car and the motorcycle came loose and rubbed the rear bumper. Photo attached.
The rubbing wore the paint down to the ABS just above the right exhaust tip. I realize this is just a bumper and it’s not the end of the world. At the same time, it’s a fairly rare car and non-factory paint could lower the value.

The driver admitted fault and marked the damage on the paperwork. I have two questions:

1. How much would you demand for the damage? I don’t want to be a total a** but I don't think I should take a loss due to negligence by a transport company. The final number should likely include actual damages, lost value and something for the hassle. If you were in my shoes, what would you ask for?

2. How would you approach the repair? The repair could range from getting a new pre-painted (I hear bumpers are not painted on the car by Porsche) bumper from the genuine OEM Porsche supplier (if that’s possible) to simply getting a local shop to remove and respray.

Snapped a few photos after the first wash but before her first detail:

Old 03-23-2015, 02:53 AM
HBGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car, enjoy.

Auto mode is useless. Manual is great.

I would probably ask for $5k, have bumper stripped and re-painted.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:00 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

If it's just that little mark, I'd ask for appropriate compensation and then just live with touch up paint until bigger damage occurs.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:09 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Congrats on the new ride!!!

She looks amazing.

It never gets old reading a "just got my GT3" thread. Awesome. We're all happy for you.

White is my first choice. Still looking.

FWIW, get the maximum you can in cash from the trucking company. Go on the Porsche USA website and locate a Authorized Porsche collision center near you. If you can't find one near you make sure you don't back down and take it to your dealers go to body shop. You will get made while for a complete repaint for sure. A new bumper as well. Not so sure. What I can tell you is a great body shop can fix that chip/spot above the exhaust perfect. You will never know. They will sand the area and blend it. A brand new white bumper is easy to blend.

Then consider yourself a lucky man you own a 991 GT3 and enjoy. Be safe and don't let it get you down. It can be fixed easily. No metal to deal with. Piece of cake. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:26 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

Touch up paint or spot re-finish by expert body shop.

I would steer clear of doing the entire bumper as even the best painter will be hard pressed to get a good match on white with plastic, non factory application environment and clear. The last thing you want is a mis-matched bumper. Happened to me three cars ago and it never did look right.

Stuck out like a sore thumb and made me crazy.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:38 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Do you mind disclosing who the transport company was (here in this thread or PM me)? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:42 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mistakes happen, and the driver was honest. That goes a long way in my book. I'd get touch up done as well. A good shop can make that go away without a re spray.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:15 AM
shandyman5
Advanced

If the driver admitted damage, I would use them just based on their honesty principles. Even more so if they compensate you. The damage, while there is, is minimal and mistakes happen. I would use them and trust a good transport.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:16 AM
shandyman5
Advanced

Beautiful car by the way! Enjoy it.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:34 AM
Giggle
Intermediate

Just press PDK sport and your auto gbox will jump into life and can change gear as good as you ever will. Even in normal mode it will respond perfectly to your throttle inputs. I enjoy the low RPM shifts around town.

I actually dont use PDK Sport as I like the involvement of the paddles but many swear by it and complete full circuit days in PDK sport.

I would have the tiny rub repaired by a smart repair guy and forget it ever happened. No point having entire unit painted or even replaced IMO.

Enjoy the best 6 cylinder road car Porsche have ever made

These cars are selling for up to $280K in uk so you guys are are nicking them right now
Old 03-23-2015, 06:22 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Beautiful car and sorry for the damage....it is minor though and I would bring it to a good body shop....they should be able to touch repair it and you'll never know the difference, especially in that spot.....I would not paint the entire cover..,,,
Old 03-23-2015, 06:49 AM
frankee4u
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats - enjoy as it is an amazing car!
Old 03-23-2015, 08:11 AM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Beauty, enjoy.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:34 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Sucks about the damage, but you still got a beautiful GT3! Congrats and don't let that bother you, get it fixed and smash the throttle.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:41 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on your new ride. As far as the mark on the rear bumper, see what the transport company will do for you in compensation. I would first go to an authorized P dealer and get a quote. I personally, after settling up, would just get it touched up by the best paint shop you can find.

Quick Reply: New 3 Finally Arrives - Enclosed Transport Damage