Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 3 Finally Arrives - Enclosed Transport Damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:50 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I do not understand why the part would need to be replaced for a paint repair? The vehicle was not involved in a collision.

I would be very hesitant to do anything more than touch up the spot. Blending, clear coat, etc. opens the door to prep and paint issues, and correct alignment of the badging. In my experience, they give bumpers to the new guy for practice. And of course full paint of either a new bumper or the original would require blending into surrounding panels to be done correctly, which makes absolutely no sense for a quarter-sized scuff.

I see nothing wrong with asking for the full cost of the repair plus rental car, and then having it touched up. The difference compensates you for your time, or a more extensive repair later if the touch-up is not satisfactory.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:16 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Welcome to the family! Beautiful car. I would try and do touch up with reputable repair shop and avoid the entire bumper repaint.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:25 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I think your bigger problem is trying to keep it under 5,000rpms if you choose to comply with Porsche break-in protocols.

I'm in the camp of not trying to profit off of someone's honest and admitted mistake. Get the estimate from the dealer's best touch up person plus a rental car estimate and I'm sure you'll be good to go. Thankfully, it's not one of those "rare" PTS cars

Congrats on the car and drive in good health always!!
Old 03-23-2015, 10:49 PM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask them for $650. Buy 2 PCA DE events with same. Put white tape over boo boo. LYAO thinking how lucky you were.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:15 PM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice ride !
Old 03-24-2015, 12:35 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Appreciate all the feedback - lots of good points about the repair options. This is clearly a hot topic with lots of differing opinions. The reason I haven't named the transport company publicly yet is I'd like to give them an opportunity to make it right. I'm in a consumer business and about 1% of customers run to social media if there is a problem, even before contacting the company. I believe everyone deserves an opportunity to resolve the issue. Now if they refuse to be reasonable, then it's a different story. I'll update with final resolution. Meanwhile, I'm going to rack up some "break in" miles!
Old 04-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Plycar LLC Auto Transport Damaged My Car During Enclosed Transport

Just wanted to provide an update and hopefully save someone the hassle of what I'm going through. I haven't previously named the company until now because I wanted to give them an opportunity to resolve. I am now naming the company - Plycar LLC. http://www.plycargroup.com/

I originally offered to settle if they paid to have the car repaired at the body shop of my choice plus refunded the transport fee. I believe this was a very reasonable offer. They refused and countered with an offer to pay the repair estimate and deduct $100 off the transport fee. It's hard to imagine damaging a high end car and then refusing to refund the transport fee but that's their position.

Lesson learned. Be careful with transport companies!
Old 04-28-2015, 03:35 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

How much was repair estimate?
Old 04-28-2015, 03:38 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sucks!!! Do you have a plan "B"?
Old 04-28-2015, 03:43 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Plycar LLC is now on The LIST!
Old 04-28-2015, 03:43 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 911993
Just wanted to provide an update and hopefully save someone the hassle of what I'm going through. I haven't previously named the company until now because I wanted to give them an opportunity to resolve. I am now naming the company - Plycar LLC. http://www.plycargroup.com/

I originally offered to settle if they paid to have the car repaired at the body shop of my choice plus refunded the transport fee. I believe this was a very reasonable offer. They refused and countered with an offer to pay the repair estimate and deduct $100 off the transport fee. It's hard to imagine damaging a high end car and then refusing to refund the transport fee but that's their position.

Lesson learned. Be careful with transport companies!
First, I am sorry to hear this happened to your GT3. In my experience, you need to be seeking tangible losses as this is handled as an insured liability matter. They have agreed to the repair costs, which only leaves any diminution of value to seek. Hire an appraiser to state the value before and after the respray on a brand new GT3, and then ask that Plycar pay the difference. They will likely either pay that amount, hire their own appraiser (unlikely) or offer to meet you halfway. Transport companies pay substantiated losses, not compensation for inconvenience or mental anguish unfortunately. Good luck and please report back

Last edited by mcsmcs1; 04-28-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:53 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 911993
Your offer was very very reasonable.

I would recommend you to speak with an attorney to see what options you have.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:11 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

remember the bumpers are painted separately from the body, from the factory they do not and should not match perfectly, i also believe the bumpers are painted with a different type of paint as they need to flex
Old 04-28-2015, 06:08 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other reason I would never use them is they have depot service, meaning you car can get loaded, off loaded, sits in a warehouse, reloaded and shipped....just begs for damage to happen.

Sorry to hear about this mess and I hope you get things resolved one way or another.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:16 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectricChair
Your offer was very very reasonable.

I would recommend you to speak with an attorney to see what options you have.
I'm not saying this is necessarily my opinion but just looking at from an un-emotional view point they did transport your car but it was damaged. Seek compensation for the repair and out of pocket expenses but why should they refund the transportation cost?

Quick Reply: New 3 Finally Arrives - Enclosed Transport Damage