Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Re: The Special PTS 918s...

This was a post I prepared for the Supercars (918) forum, but because of its PTS content it might be interesting
to documented here too!

I must tell you that until recently I thought that PAG would stick to their announcements that that they would not
duplicate in paint the foil decals themes they had originally announced for the 918. The problem for collectors with
the factory foil wrap was that the 'decals' are not guaranteed to last beyond a few years...and then what? The solution
was to paint the design schemes directly to the panels! But would the factory agree to do that?

Well initially they refused. But apparently somebody convinced them that this was the right thing to do for their most
demanding 918 customers - an elite among their long list of VIP clients. And these special PTS 918s were then set to
be built & delivered last. Almost all were based on famous 917 liveries in Porsche history.

Here is the list of cars I have been able to identify:

1) Mark Webber - 'Salzburg Racing Design' in Paint

http://gtspirit.com/2015/08/28/mark-...he-918-spyder/

2) Hurley Haywood - 'Brumos Racing' Livery in Paint

http://flatsixes.com/uncategorized/t...he-918-spyder/

3) Atlanta's 'Gulf 918' - in Paint (except Gulf decals)

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ulf-918-a.html

4 & 5) Canada's 'Gulf 918s' - in Paint (except Gulf decals)

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ulf-918-a.html

6) Hippie 917-021 'Blue-Purple/Green Martini 918' - in Paint (except Martini decals)

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ie-livery.html

7) Hippie 917-021 'Shell Martini 918' - in Paint (except Martini decals)

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ild-918-a.html

So far, these are all the 918 I have seen done in this special PTS process. The latter involves painting two colors
on the same panels, something which is not normally available via PTS.

Costs: 'If you have to ask, you can't afford it'

Regular PTS on the 918 was $21000 for most colors. Some of the more complicated PTS were priced at $49,000
(e.g. Pearl White 947). The two exclusive 'Liquid Metal' paints, which required 9 coats applied in high precision
(metal flakes were aligned properly by magnets) and three clear coats, was priced at $63,000.

I can only guess that for the design, labor & execution of these last PTS 918s in historic liveries, PAG probably
charged their customers over $100K + for the privilege! And when you add some of the special requests done
by 'Porsche Exclusive' in the interior - e.g. special leather colors, deviating stitching, deviated leather beading,
unique leather headrest embossing - the combined expenses for the paint & interior is probably close to $150K
for these special PTS 918s!

My understanding is that for the Gulf 918s, the factory used the current PTS approved 'Gulf Blue' & 'Gulf Orange'
colors. If Vaughn Wyant has documentation that points out to the use by PAG of different hues for his two cars vs
the Atlanta car, I will be glad to correct my statement.

For Mark Webber's car, PAG matched the colors of the current 917 at the Porsche Museum done in Salzburg livery
(by the way, the original chassis was 'lost' - this is not the LeMans winning historic chassis). I took photo of that car
in July.

For Hurley Haywood's 918, PAG added the Brumos colors which was not complicated to do. And the factory previously
had done 'Brumos' Limited Editions, the most recent if I recall was the B59 '12 997 GTS below. So we know that the
'Brumos' colors are on file at Zuffenhausen!

This was the easiest PTS livery of the bunch that PAG had to do. I hope Hurley got a discount on his PTS option!

For the 'Blue-Purple/Green' & 'Yellow/Red' Hippie car, the story now takes an interesting turn. Both color schemes are based
on 'one' historic 917 chassis # - 917 -021. That chassis was raced in various liveries. And that is where the story needs to be
told in full so that you can understand what these two 918 owners were trying to 'honor' or 'pay homage' in their particular
(& expensive) color schemes:

http://hooniverse.com/2012/01/23/por...new-book-deal/

Confused? OK, one more:

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/art...orsche-917-021

OK, now that you know the story on 917-021, let's go to the easiest of the two 918 'Hippie' color scheme
to explain why it was done that way. The 'Yellow/Red' Hippie 918 is duplicating the livery on 917-021 as the
Shell Psychedelic (at least it's third racing livery paint job):

It is probable that the 918 owner chose to follow the colors researched by Gunnar Racing for their careful
restoration of the formerly Rosso-Bianco 917 in 'Shell Sandeman' livery.

Although that original livery did not have the psychedelic design, it was painted in the exact same Shell Oil
colors (the 'yellow' has a bit of mustard & the 'red' has a bit of orange) that would adorn the later 'Yellow/Red'
livery #2 on the 917-021. And even the 'red' seats on that historic car are reproduced on this 918 'tribute'! So
all of that makes sense!

What about the 'Blue-Purple/Green' Hippie 918? How true are those colors to the original historic livery? The
'other' 917-021 painted in this color scheme is apparently in Belgium. From the photos in the 'Classic Driver'
article above the darker hue appears more 'purple' than in the 918 color scheme. We don't know if that car
was available to the 918 owner to request color samples.

But there is another 'psychedelic' 917 (917-043) that resides in Pennsylvania at the Simeone Foundation Automotive
Museum & is more accessible to research for color. It is also painted in a 'Blue-Purple/Green' Martini livery.

http://www.simeonemuseum.org/the-col...porsche-917-lh

So what color scheme was followed by the 918 owner in reproducing the original livery? Did they nailed the colors right?
I think we will need to see that car photographed in different light to see if the 'purple' comes through on the base blue!
If anyone can add more to how the colors of this car were 'chosen', we would appreciate the input.

Altogether, it's a fabulous story of these last, and very special, PTS 918s. And let me leave you all with this video which
attempts to capture the era of the 917-021 which inspired some of our subject matter:

https://vimeo.com/33985155

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 10-01-2015, 10:16 AM
parealtor
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z356

6) Hippie 917-021 'Blue-Purple/Green Martini 918' - in Paint (except Martini decals)

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ie-livery.html

So far, these are all the 918 I have seen done in this special PTS process. The latter involves painting two colors
on the same panels, something which is not normally available via PTS.

Costs: 'If you have to ask, you can't afford it'

Regular PTS on the 918 was $21000 for most colors. Some of the more complicated PTS were priced at $49,000
(e.g. Pearl White 947). The two exclusive 'Liquid Metal' paints, which required 9 coats applied in high precision
(metal flakes were aligned properly by magnets) and three clear coats, was priced at $63,000.

I can only guess that for the design, labor & execution of these last PTS 918s in historic liveries, PAG probably
charged their customers over $100K + for the privilege! And when you add some of the special requests done
by 'Porsche Exclusive' in the interior - e.g. special leather colors, deviating stitching, deviated leather beading,
unique leather headrest embossing - the combined expenses for the paint & interior is probably close to $150K
for these special PTS 918s!

For the 'Blue-Purple/Green' & 'Yellow/Red' Hippie car, the story now takes an interesting turn. Both color schemes are based
on 'one' historic 917 chassis # - 917 -021. That chassis was raced in various liveries. And that is where the story needs to be
told in full so that you can understand what these two 918 owners were trying to 'honor' or 'pay homage' in their particular
(& expensive) color schemes:

I read on another site that the owner paid $200K for that paint job so your estimates are fairly accurate. He owns 3 918's
Old 10-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Detlev gets promoted to a new job in Germany...

To inform the forum in case some of you missed the news yesterday, our friend Detlev von Platen (formerly CEO of PCNA) has been
promoted to head Global Sales & Marketing at PAG and will be based at headquarters in Germany. And Oliver Blume, formerly head
of Production & Logistics at Porsche, has been elevated to CEO of PAG, replacing Matthias Müller who was promoted to CEO of the
VW Group after Martin Winterkorn's resignation last week.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...laten-named-vw

Detlev was one happy camper at Rennsport this weekend. He was a dynamic CEO at PCNA and will be missed! But he is headed
for much bigger things at PAG. And it would not be surprising to me if he becomes CEO of PAG in a few years' time!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 10-19-2015, 01:38 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Personnel Changes at PCNA - Sascha Glaeser Departs

Sasha Glaeser, formerly Manager of 'Porsche Exclusive' at PCNA based in Beverly Hills and a 10 year veteran employee of PAG, is no longer with the company.

In 2014 Sascha was promoted to head the 'Los Angeles Experience Center' scheduled to open this year. However, that project has encountered many
delays and it is not expected to be completed for at least one more year.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...o-open-in-2014

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...erience-center

These delays in construction have built-up frustrations for all involved in that project and PCNA & Sascha parted ways in, or about, early September.

Sascha plans to remain in the Los Angeles area and is pursuing other employment possibilities. At Rennsport V, for example, he was in the booth of
his friends at RennWerkStatt trying to promote those products for the US market.

http://www.rennwerkstatt.com

Interestingly enough, the retro-look longhood Porsche 911 in the photo above is his own. It was built for him in Germany using a SC chassis similar
to what 'Singer Design' is doing...but at a much more competitive price. In association with Rennwerkstatt, Sascha is looking at the possibilities of
producing many more like this one for sale to US customers. As a coincidence Matthew Henry, who briefly worked at the Beverly Hills office with
'Porsche Exclusive' after Sascha took up his Experience Center job, is now sales manager at 'Singer Design'. There is apparently money to be made
in the retro-long hood 911s...and the idea seems to strike strongest for those associated with 'Porsche Exclusive' in the West Coast!

Sascha was instrumental in helping me custom order my MY2012 'Boxster Spyder' a few years ago. And like me, I am sure that many of you that
were assisted by Sascha in your custom Porsche builds want to see him succeed as he pursues this new phase of his career. He has a young wife
& two infants to support. So we all wish him the very best in this new venture!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 10-19-2015, 02:41 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Previously announced personnel changes at 'Porsche Exclusive'...

I thought I posted this here after I first talked about it on the 991 'custom ordering' thread...but maybe I overlooked it.
In any case, here is the earlier information on Matthew Henry and one of the at least two new faces at 'Porsche Exclusive'
that have been hired by Barbara Boeckenhoff to be based in LA! I will post the name of the other newest member of the
US 'Exclusive' team when Barbara informs me.

Coincidentally, I ran into Matthew Henry at 'Rennsport V' where he attended as a privateer and his new role at 'Singer
Vehicle Design'. He is pretty happy at his new post and we also wish him well!

Originally Posted by Werks 1
Hey Eduardo, Matt Henry no longer in Berverly Hills "Exclusive".....He left the company a few weeks ago. Any idea who will run the "exclusive"store for them?
Yes, I was informed by a fellow Rennlister of Matthew Henry's departure one week ago. I just spent an hour with him & Melissa Witek at
The Quail Zentrum in mid-August in Carmel. It's kind of unexpected news. I reported here on Rennlist when Matthew was assigned to
'Porsche Exclusive' back in the Spring of 2014, after a he had spent a short time as a 'product planner' at PCNA's headquarter in Atlanta:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...l#post11458533

I am hoping to get together with Barbara Boeckenhoff, Manager Porsche Exclusive - Personal Design, during Rennsport to get an explanation of
the changes & direction she wants to take 'Porsche Exclusive' in the US!

Originally Posted by reuben991
I believe Florian Truffner is taking over.
I'm in the process of setting up an appointment with him since
my appointment with Matt was scheduled for the week after he left
Curious development:

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/florian.../14/673/167/en

I was informed by another Rennlister via PM that Matthew Henry
had moved to 'Singer Vehicle Design'...and its true!

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/matthew-henry/33/510/49b

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Last edited by Z356; 10-19-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:52 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

We met with florian at RRV. Really nice guy and very helpful. I'm sure he'll do well in his new job.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:55 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default One of the '15 PTS 'Signal Green' gt3s is available....

Vin # WP0AC2A96FS189240

More information at this link:

http://roadscholars.com/inventory/20...-signal-green/

I believe I know the owner of this vehicle. He was the catalyst that started
this whole thread & search that led me eventually to find & purchase my
personal 'Signal Green' gt3, vin # WP0AC2A96FS189243. Here is what I
wrote about him back on post #1:

"As I was almost finishing telling Bob my 'sad' story, the guy sitting next
to him interrupts my conversation & blurts out that he is getting a 'Signal
Green' gt3 shortly! This fellow is not a regular member of our group, but
he is an acquaintance that comes to the LA meet each year as a vendor.
He is a partner in a Porsche sales & restoration shop in North Carolina.
He then proceeds to tell me that he recently had learned that Porsche AG
(PAG) had agreed to build a batch of 30 PTS gt3s and allocate them to
US dealers. They were to be done only in three colors - 'Signal Green',
'Arena Red Metallic' & 'FashionGrey/Modegrau'. This fellow, like many
of you here at Rennlist, had requested PTS on his MY2015 gt3 allocation
last Fall & was turned down by Porsche. He settled for a 'Guards Red' gt3
which was delivered to him at the beginning of this year. But when he
heard of these last minute 30 available PTS gt3s, he called Detlev von
Platen and members of his staff at Porsche Cars North America (PCNA)
to complain. He made enough of a fuss that, at the end, PCNA decided
to allocate him a PTS car - and he chose 'Signal Green'. He said he didn't
even know the specs and that even if he knew, they couldn't be changed.
The car would be air-freighted to his dealer sometime in April or so. He
had no idea why Porsche had build these 30 gt3s in these three 'odd'
colors. And that when his other business partner tried to get the allocation
for a 'Fashion Grey/Modegrau' gt3 from this group of gt3s, but was turned
down!
"

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...grey-gt3s.html

Because of a variety of factors:

a) PAG didn't allow any '16 gt3s to be done PTS & very few '14 & '15 were built PTS (worldwide),

b) the color is the very desirable & striking 'Signal Green',

c) the vehicle has only 200 miles from new on the odo (mine also has only 300 miles from new!),

d) 'Roads Scholars' is selling it & they have expertise in marketing high-priced 'rare' Porsches,

I believe this '15 gt3 will set a record price for resale of any
'14, '15 or '16 gt3 in the world market. It's not clear from
the ad what is the asking price...but I anticipate it will be
a healthy figure. And we will try to find out what the final
selling price turns out to be.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 11-12-2015, 04:28 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Selling after 200 miles ? Such a beautiful color/car, I just do not understand people. Mine is a keeper and just hit 1,000 miles. Changing the oil for the first time next week. Also I still smile every time I drive the car
Old 11-12-2015, 04:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 0to60
Selling after 200 miles ? Such a beautiful color/car, I just do not
understand people. Mine is a keeper and just hit 1,000 miles.
Changing the oil for the first time next week. Also I still smile
every time I drive the car
The owner never intended to drive it much...he told me as much
back in March we he first disclosed to me the news of the 30 PTS
gt3s. And he was trying to get a .1 991 gt3 RS allocation, which
he probably just got in the latest wave just released by PAG/PCNA.
But I don't expect him to drive that RS much either...and sadly, it
will not be PTS, so he is giving up something valuable by selling
his 'Signal Green' gt3!

'Different strokes for different folks' is a rather popular saying
here in America & I am surprised that it's not one (apparently)
that your are familiar with. Indeed, since you started posting
here on this thread on Rennlist, you do not seem to understand
the diversity of reasons why people buy these cars. They are
obviously not the same as yours...or perhaps even mine. But
they are NOT any less valid regardless! Whether they paid
over MSRP for it or drove it for 200 miles or less before they
decided to sell it, it's strictly their business. And I respect that.
You don't. Why not?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 11-12-2015, 05:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Selling after 200 miles ? Such a beautiful color/car, I just do not understand people. Mine is a keeper and just hit 1,000 miles. Changing the oil for the first time next week. Also I still smile every time I drive the car
**** happens and sometimes it's just the thrill of the hunt.

his 'Signal Green' gt3!

You don't. Why not?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Or that
Old 11-12-2015, 07:36 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To each their own. Life is too short to worry about.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:49 AM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

his 'Signal Green' gt3!

You don't. Why not?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Eduardo
In a fair world that PTS GT3 would have gone to an owner that would appreciate and enjoy it for more than 200 miles. It is a shame a potential and grateful owner was shut out from this amazing car due to the “fickleness” of the original buyer. It seems that “FU” money cannot buy happiness after all. In the world where I am from, these cars represent a life savings to me and the majority of the population. I took this purchase as a serious decision with lots of research before pulling the trigger. Maybe me being a "poor fool” that raided his 401K to acquire the funds to purchase allows me to truly appreciate this awesome machine. This is all just my opionon and I hope to bring to this forum another perspective. BTW I am still smiling every time I am inside this machine. FWIW part of the reason I received an allocation for the PTS GT3 was my dealer knew the car was for me and I had no plans to flip her. I hope this explains where I am coming from, as I respect your input on this forum,
Old 11-13-2015, 12:51 AM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
**** happens and sometimes it's just the thrill of the hunt.

Or that
Yes, I agree with you. It just seems I am changing my socks less than others changing cars.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:35 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

I believe this '15 gt3 will set a record price for resale of any
'14, '15 or '16 gt3 in the world market. It's not clear from
the ad what is the asking price...but I anticipate it will be
a healthy figure. And we will try to find out what the final
selling price turns out to be.
We have been told the asking price by 'Road Scholars'. It's US$205,000.
I think it's an extremely reasonable figure. I would not sell my 'Signal
Green' '15 gt3 for that amount.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 11-13-2015, 11:59 AM
njcycleguy
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

We have been told the asking price by 'Road Scholars'. It's US$205,000.
I think it's an extremely reasonable figure. I would not sell my 'Signal
Green' '15 gt3 for that amount.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
It's a beautiful car and rare, no doubt. But $50k+ over? Just because you wouldn't sell yours for that doesn't make it "reasonable".

I agree however it will indeed be interesting what it does bring if the actual selling price is disclosed.

Quick Reply: The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!