Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I will ask for Club Blau.
What original blue color did they base it on, I know they went 2 shades darker...
Looks a little darker and richer still than Voodoo, maybe a touch more purple in it?
Or even darker
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2015, 02:17 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Or even darker
That blue is GREAT! Very rich looking, not as sporty as LO or UV, but very attractive on the RS...
Old 05-18-2015, 02:39 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ma991
Thanks. I have the same dealer arrival date. Do you have an ARM as well? If I read the previous posts correctly I think there's four of us on here getting them, pretty cool.
Yes mine is also Arena Red. The latest update is build completion date of 5/22, and dealer delivery date of 7/6, still no VIN. I was told VIN will be generated after 5/22.

However, I don't quite trust these dates because not only they have been changed multiple times in the last month, but also 5/22 is the same date for V270 (exit production), V300 (Vehicle completion), and V331 (Entry port Emden). I don't think it's possible to do all these in just one day. Someone at the factory is just entering these dates as a placeholder and changes it when necessary, IMHO.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:55 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

I will ask for Club Blau.
What original blue color did they base it on, I know they went 2 shades darker...
Looks a little darker and richer still than Voodoo, maybe a touch more purple in it?
Reter:

Like I mentioned in my last post on this thread, 'Club Blau' is based on 'Acid Blue / Bahama Blue', which was historical color code 354.

Originally Posted by Z356
...'Acid Blue/Bahama' is pretty close (a few shades away) to the current 'Club Blau' of the PCA 60th Anniversary Coupe:

It would not surprise me if 'Club Blau' becomes available via PTS on other Porsche models in the near future...but that is only speculation on my part.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
I seriously doubt they will include 'Club Blau' on the restricted list of PTS colors for the '16 gt3 RS...but you can ask. If will most likely be allowed (if at all) on a regular 991/981 in MY2017 and beyond.

General Comments on PTS and the 991 gt3s going forward!

PAG is truly making PTS on the gt3 & gt3 RS cars extremely difficult. Even a new 'Special Color' like 'Lava Orange', which is available for just over $3K on any MY2016 991, is not allowed to be ordered on the just released MY2016 gt3 allocations received by some Rennlisters in the past few weeks.

The other thing that doesn't bode well for PTS on the gt3s is the apparent difficulties that they encountered on the 'Arena Red Metallics' and 'Fashion Grey/Modegrau' builds. Although we don't yet know 100% the exact cause for the delays, the speculation is that they were caused by quality control problems encountered with the PTS paint (e.g. matching of bumpers to body, etc). These delays on the 'Arena Red' and 'Fashion Grey' late '15 gt3s have been reported on this thread for a while now.

Remember that the gt3s have significant content (e.g. front & rear bumpers, etc) which might be built & painted by outside subcontractors or vendors, and which arrive at Zuffenhausen for assembly into the gt3s under the 'just in time' & 'just as needed' logistic system. However the rest of the body of a typical gt3 is painted at Zuffenhausen by PAG itself. The different applications of paint might be causing some quality control problems since the spray equipment, ambient temperatures and other factors in the painting of those panels (even assuming the paint is exactly the same & comes from the same 'can' of the requested PTS color) might cause a problem in achieving a perfect match to the rest of the painted chassis that arrives from the Zuffenhausen paint facility!

This is not a problem with the regular 991 since most of the significant panels on those cars are entirely painted at Zuffenhausen and probably on the same day and on the same paint booth! As a result, it is getting much easier to get PAG to approve PTS, and even special colors like 'Lava Orange', on the regular 991...but increasingly not available on the gt3 or gt4 models that are sourced with some very visible parts not produced or painted by Porsche themselves!

I have often wondered the reason why PAG decided to do these 30 (or so) late PTS gt3s in 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' and 'Fashion Grey / Modegrau' after telling us all that PTS was a no-go for the rest of MY2015. I am beginning to think that the principal reason was to test whether the new quality control methods for PTS on the cars, and specifically with the gt3s with their many outsourced contents, passed muster and was now 'perfected'. Given that only the 'Signal Green' gt3s were able to be done on scheduled, I am thinking that PAG still encountered quality control issues with many of these PTS gt3s (the subject of this thread). And that is the reason why you have no seen PAG announce their program for PTS on the gt3s or gt3 RS going forward! They have to perfect the system to avoid customer discontent & warranty claims on the PTS paint in the future for the gt3, gt3 RS and gt4. My dos centavos, for what ever that it is worth!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 05-18-2015, 03:18 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Reter:

Like I mentioned in my last post on this thread, 'Club Blau' is based on 'Acid Blue / Bahama Blue', which was historical color code 354.

I seriously doubt they will include 'Club Blau' on the restricted list of PTS colors for the '16 gt3 RS...but you can ask. If will most likely be allowed (if at all) on a regular 991/981 in MY2017 and beyond.

General Comments on PTS and the 991 gt3s going forward!

PAG is truly making PTS on the gt3 & gt3 RS cars extremely difficult. Even a new 'Special Color' like 'Lava Orange', which is available for just over $3K on any MY2016 991, is not allowed to be ordered on the just released MY2016 gt3 allocations received by some Rennlisters in the past few weeks.

The other thing that doesn't bode well for PTS on the gt3s is the apparent difficulties that they encountered on the 'Arena Red Metallics' and 'Fashion Grey/Modegrau' builds. Although we don't yet know 100% the exact cause for the delays, the speculation is that they were caused by quality control problems encountered with the PTS paint (e.g. matching of bumpers to body, etc). These delays on the 'Arena Red' and 'Fashion Grey' late '15 gt3s have been reported on this thread for a while now.

Remember that the gt3s have significant content (e.g. front & rear bumpers, etc) which might be built & painted by outside subcontractors or vendors, and which arrive at Zuffenhausen for assembly into the gt3s under the 'just in time' & 'just as needed' logistic system. However the rest of the body of a typical gt3 is painted at Zuffenhausen by PAG itself. The different applications of paint might be causing some quality control problems since the spray equipment, ambient temperatures and other factors in the painting of those panels (even assuming the paint is exactly the same & comes from the same 'can' of the requested PTS color) might cause a problem in achieving a perfect match to the rest of the painted chassis that arrives from the Zuffenhausen paint facility!

This is not a problem with the regular 991 since most of the significant panels on those cars are entirely painted at Zuffenhausen and probably on the same day and on the same paint booth! As a result, it is getting much easier to get PAG to approve PTS, and even special colors like 'Lava Orange', on the regular 991...but increasingly not available on the gt3 or gt4 models that are sourced with some very visible parts not produced or painted by Porsche themselves!

I have often wondered the reason why PAG decided to do these 30 (or so) late PTS gt3s in 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' and 'Fashion Grey / Modegrau' after telling us all that PTS was a no-go for the rest of MY2015. I am beginning to think that the principal reason was to test whether the new quality control methods for PTS on the cars, and specifically with the gt3s with their many outsourced contents, passed muster and was now 'perfected'. Given that only the 'Signal Green' gt3s were able to be done on scheduled, I am thinking that PAG still encountered quality control issues with many of these PTS gt3s (the subject of this thread). And that is the reason why you have no seen PAG announce their program for PTS on the gt3s or gt3 RS going forward! They have to perfect the system to avoid customer discontent & warranty claims on the PTS paint in the future for the gt3, gt3 RS and gt4. My dos centavos, for what ever that it is worth!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Interesting thoughts but I am hoping you are wrong. I really do not want to be a “Guinea Pig” for the PAG PTS program. BTW I am still in production.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 59 Posts

Eduardo,

When do you receive your car? Need your first hand quality report on your PTS!
Old 05-18-2015, 04:58 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Msmatt
Eduardo, When do you receive your car? Need your first hand quality report on your PTS!
My car was picked up today by InterCityLines at the dealership back East and will arrive in the West Coast in about 7 days or less.

I will report back. But the dealership already inspected the car during their normal procedure after it's arrival from port (Davisville, Rhode Island). And their report to me (verbal) was that there were no issues with the exterior paint. This is not always the case, neither with regular colors or PTS. This same dealer received a PTS gt3 a few months ago in 'Pastel Orange' that had issues with the paint. It was related to the 'white' plastic vinyl wrap that was applied to the exterior for the shipping process to port & ocean voyage & then truck to US dealer. Upon removal of that temporary protective vinyl after it arrived at the US dealer, they discovered slight damage to top clear coat on the roof of the vehicle. This is something that has been reported before by various owners of gt3s in the past on this forum...and has been attributed to insufficient curing time of the clear coat at the factory before applying the protective shipping vinyl:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...roof-also.html

Luckily, that was not the case with my particular 'Signal Green' gt3 upon arrival. Regardless, I will report to the forum on the condition of the paint upon its arrival out West.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Last edited by Z356; 05-19-2015 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Add photo of car being picked up by InterCity!
Old 05-18-2015, 08:31 PM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Yes mine is also Arena Red. The latest update is build completion date of 5/22, and dealer delivery date of 7/6, still no VIN. I was told VIN will be generated after 5/22.

However, I don't quite trust these dates because not only they have been changed multiple times in the last month, but also 5/22 is the same date for V270 (exit production), V300 (Vehicle completion), and V331 (Entry port Emden). I don't think it's possible to do all these in just one day. Someone at the factory is just entering these dates as a placeholder and changes it when necessary, IMHO.
Congrats.

My new dealer delivery date is 6/26. My v270 and v300 were the same date (5/8) my v331 was 5/13.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:06 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Congrats.

My new dealer delivery date is 6/26. My v270 and v300 were the same date (5/8) my v331 was 5/13.
So is your car on a boat now? Are you tracking the location of the boat?

I am only 3 numbers behind you but my v270 is two weeks behind, did they run out of the Arena Red paint or something?
Old 05-18-2015, 11:40 PM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee1169
So is your car on a boat now? Are you tracking the location of the boat?

I am only 3 numbers behind you but my v270 is two weeks behind, did they run out of the Arena Red paint or something?
It's not scheduled to leave Emden until 5/29. How recent are your dates? After the delay mine was scheduled for delivery on 7/6, now that it's moving they changed it to 6/26. Perhaps yours will get updated as well.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:49 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not scheduled to leave Emden until 5/29. How recent are your dates? After the delay mine was scheduled for delivery on 7/6, now that it's moving they changed it to 6/26. Perhaps yours will get updated as well.
I'm still in Production but I'm wondering if mine will be on same ship as yours.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:27 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

My car was picked up today by InterCityLines at the dealership back East and will arrive in the West Coast in about 7 days or less. I will report back. But the dealership already inspected the car during their normal procedure after it's arrival from port (Davisville, Rhode Island). And their report to me (verbal) was that there were no issues with the exterior paint. This is not always the case, neither with regular colors or PTS. This same dealer received a PTS gt3 a few months ago in 'Pastel Orange' that had issues with the paint. It was related to the 'white' plastic vinyl wrap that was applied to the exterior for the shipping process to port & ocean voyage & then truck to US dealer. Upon removal of that temporary protective vinyl after it arrived at the US dealer, they discovered slight damage to top clear coat on the roof of the vehicle. This is something that has been reported before by various owners of gt3s in the past on this forum...and has been attributed to insufficient curing time of the clear coat at the factory before applying the protective shipping vinyl: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...roof-also.html Luckily, that was not the case with my particular 'Signal Green' gt3 upon arrival. Regardless, I will report to the forum on the condition of the paint upon its arrival out West. Saludos, Eduardo Carmel
Thats great news Eduardo, we are in the same boat as my SG was about 2 weeks behind you in production, and arrived at the port of SD on Sat. I'm hoping to see it in the next week or so. Can't wait!
Old 05-19-2015, 01:41 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Msmatt
Thats great news Eduardo, we are in the same boat as my SG was about 2 weeks behind you in production, and arrived at the port of SD on Sat. I'm hoping to see it in the next week or so. Can't wait!
Great news indeed for you too! Was your transport ship from Emden the 'Green Bay' too? We will have to arrange a reunion of the late PTS gt3s that are scheduled for customers in the West Coast soon. As you know, we have Porsche dealers from San Diego to Seattle, and a few points in between (including Vegas), that were awarded these special gt3 allocations. So they'll be getting into the hands of customers pretty soon!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 05-19-2015, 02:18 AM
hlee1169
Pro

The dealer checked last Friday, and I was told to wait until 5/22 to see if there is a new update.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:52 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Great news indeed for you too! Was your transport ship from Emden the 'Green Bay' too? We will have to arrange a reunion of the late PTS gt3s that are scheduled for customers in the West Coast soon. As you know, we have Porsche dealers from San Diego to Seattle, and a few points in between (including Vegas), that were awarded these special gt3 allocations. So they'll be getting into the hands of customers pretty soon! Saludos, Eduardo Carmel .
Wasn't on the "Green" Bay, Auto Atlas instead, it went straight from Emden through the canal......

Quick Reply: The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!