Sponsored by:

RS or Speciale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:35 PM
uhn2000
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Apples to apples I think you need to reword the question to better represent the situation. Speciale or RS and an extra 180k in the pocket is a lot different than just an RS, and since you're married I say RS and cashish.

I'm in the same boat and must draw the line somewhere. For now
Funny I went through the situation.. wife wants a new house LOL!
Old 03-17-2015, 03:37 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

cars.com has over 200 458's listed vs 4 Speciale's. Cheapest Speciale is $399k.

don't know what your out-the-door price would be on the Speciale but with 488 on the horizon seems the sooner you get out of the Italia the better, while Speciale has a little more time before getting hit.

what are anticipated delivery dates for the RS and Speciale?
Old 03-17-2015, 03:38 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Nope. As an M version the 488 will have only four model years per ferrari. So announcement of 488 monte carlo is about two years away. 488 spider may be 6 months away. It's accelerated on the M version.
4 could esily turn into 6 or 7....the 430 was an M version of the 360....that had quite a run.....
Old 03-17-2015, 03:46 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 440 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Nope. As an M version the 488 will have only four model years per ferrari. So announcement of 488 monte carlo is about two years away. 488 spider may be 6 months away. It's accelerated on the M version.
Yes you are totally right about the cycle. That said, I see you are in Dubai, so your cycles are faster and more exact than in NA. In NA we are just now seeing the Cali T trickle in and my bet is we won't see many 488 until next winter (Nov/dec 2015) or even spring 2016. The First Local La Ferrari was just delivered to a MAJOR collector two months ago. As such, for the 488 Speciale while we may have announcement sooner, I doubt we will see cars locally for 4 years.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:50 PM
Vtach
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sell the turbo and buy both the RS and speciale
Old 03-17-2015, 03:52 PM
SHAG
Racer

Originally Posted by Vtach
Sell the turbo and buy both the RS and speciale
Old 03-17-2015, 03:56 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

the other factor arguing for Speciale is that it's the last naturally aspirated of its kind. as such, i suspect it might hold value better than the Scud's did.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had same "dilemma". Plenty of final speciale slots to be had. Personally after tracking both pedestrian versions (991 GT3 vs 458 ), the winner is exceptionally clear for me...RS
Old 03-17-2015, 04:28 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RCorsa
Yes you are totally right about the cycle. That said, I see you are in Dubai, so your cycles are faster and more exact than in NA. In NA we are just now seeing the Cali T trickle in and my bet is we won't see many 488 until next winter (Nov/dec 2015) or even spring 2016. The First Local La Ferrari was just delivered to a MAJOR collector two months ago. As such, for the 488 Speciale while we may have announcement sooner, I doubt we will see cars locally for 4 years.

Yes, will agree we get cars much quicker here. Cali T and La Ferrari already old news here as are 918s. Times from order to delivery are shorter for ferrari than porsche.

Also any one here can order a new 488 right now. No prior purchase history needed. Speciale was same story. The final ones are arriving now unspoken for at the authorized dealer available for MSRP or possibly even a discount.

If I were in your shoes. I'd sell turbo, keep Italia and get a RS. You still have time to enjoy the turbo before RS arrives.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:59 PM
Selvatico
Instructor

Originally Posted by RCorsa
Well damn, first world problems. I have a new 991 Turbo S for my daily and a Italia for my weekend/track car both purchased in the last 12 months.

This week I got two calls. One for an RS allocation which I accepted of course and now I get a call for a Speciale build that I was told this winter was "not available"

Obviously on the RS forum I'm guessing which one folks would chose but no one has driven the RS and maybe some of the GT3 owners have or have driven the Speciale..

and no I can't buy both..I'm happily married and want to keep it that way..
It all depends what you have in mind and what you have to do with the car..How many track days will you attend every year?I just sold my fantastic Speciale when I understood that it was too much for my "specific" needs. I visit track days quite often (more than 20/25 times a year ) and I realized that the Speciale was just exceeding what I really need. Nothing related to the daily costs on a track day.Coming by a 997 Gt3 MKII I can tell you , that tires consumption is the same if not better, and performances are much easier to get even at really higher levels. I would say it is a quite easy car to manage at limits compared to the 997. Brakes? not an issue..you can monitor the consumption of the disks and it is quite acceptable.No more than 2% consumption every track day if you run in Ct-OFF. Brake pads costs around 1500 euro for all 4 compared to about 800 euro I spent for the Gt3 (Pagid). Not a big big deal at the end.But, the pressure is coming by other areas. People, all people and I mean all all people will look at you as if they are waiting for something special or a crash. They just don't look at you, they "eat" you with their eyes.You have to be really calm and feel really confident in your possibilities to manage a similar pressure. And the same pressure is coming on the track by the other cars around you.Not easy to manage the reactions of the other drivers especially if too young, I would say.
So the risk of an accident could be one of the limits to think about before the purchase (for race track use I mean).To make several race tracks increase this risk and you have to be able to accept it without too much pain. So after 8 months and almost 8.000 km I simply decided to sell it and I am waiting for the RS. I will feel more at home even if still it is a very expensive car to track.. On a straight line, the Speciale really will destroy the RS, but I am pretty confident that on turns it will be another story. I am even sure that a well equipped RS will weight about 40 kg less than the Speciale (mine was 1430 kg with some accessories) but with larger brake disks and much more downforce and traction.Speciale rear tires are 305 compared to 325 of the RS. And Speciale has to manage about 100 extra hp (officially, according to Prauninger). This will translate in fantastic performances I am sure. I am really happy about the experience with Ferrari but when I realized that I need a car more comfortable for my several race track events and needs, I had no problem to decide. So in my personal opinion all depends by your real plans. Don't forget that an RS can easily make even much more km/year without to damage too much his value compared to the Speciale.At least in Europe. This is even another reason to consider. And personally I buy cars to use them and not to show them to my friends sitting in the garage..So good luck with your choice..
Old 03-17-2015, 05:02 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

One Speciale equals two loaded RS's. That is a consideration...
Old 03-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Selvatico
Instructor

Originally Posted by rockitman
One Speciale equals two loaded RS's. That is a consideration...
I am sad for this and you are right. Btw in most European Countries the basic Speciale costs about 240.000 euro and when loaded, about 275/280.000 ( I had even telemetry, very expensive)..A basic RS costs about 185.000 euro and about 205.000 when well optioned..(less in Germany for slightly reduced VAT).
Old 03-17-2015, 05:15 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by the-missile
If you can afford the Speciale, no brainer. it is a masterpiece.

I love and own Porsche but Ferrari still remains a dream.
personal feeling only.
+1
Old 03-17-2015, 05:25 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

If cashish is not an issue - you are nuts not to get, what could be, the last of the best from Ferrari with the Turbo 488 coming. Speciale no queston
Old 03-17-2015, 05:36 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
If cashish is not an issue - you are nuts not to get, what could be, the last of the best from Ferrari with the Turbo 488 coming. Speciale no queston
But he already has an Italia. Speciale is marginally better indeed, but the difference is marginal, no more.

Quick Reply: RS or Speciale?