991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The modegrau / Fashion grey thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015 | 01:02 AM
tekniik
Advanced

Fantastic! Great find, and thanks for posting! Very nice photos. I'm assuming this is a fashion grey GTS, although clearly not one of the Rennsport Reunion Edition cars (although my eyes may be deceiving me lately).
Correct, it was just a standard GTS in Fashion Grey

https://san-diego.porschedealer.com/...38210/info.php
Old 12-31-2015 | 10:40 PM
Sebaflex
Advanced

Originally Posted by Puf n Stuf
Daniel, Here's a picture of my new Grigio Campovolo Y99 - less than a week old. Hopefully it will be of use to anyone researching all things grey on your very informative thread. More Y99 snaps on the 991 thread at: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9111...e-at-last.html

Best regards.
Puf
At least in this picture, it looks very similar to Audi's Suzuka Grey. Looks great.
Old 12-31-2015 | 11:23 PM
<3mph
Drifting

It's PDK and in San Diego.
https://san-diego.porschedealer.com/...38210/info.php
One of the last (2016) NA 911s, and in a fairly nice colour to boot! Get it while you can, AC!
Old 12-31-2015 | 11:31 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sebaflex
At least in this picture, it looks very similar to Audi's Suzuka Grey. Looks great.
Here's Suzuka grey (metallic) and Fashion grey side by side. Yes, grigio campovolo definitely looks to be in the same range as Suzuka (just not metallic).

And while we're on the topic of greys, here is Eduardo's superb review of various grey colours: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...gt3-rs-94.html.
Old 12-31-2015 | 11:49 PM
fowhdr
Track Day

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
Here's Suzuka grey (metallic) and Fashion grey side by side. Yes, grigio campovolo definitely looks to be in the same range as Suzuka (just not metallic).

And while we're on the topic of greys, here is Eduardo's superb review of various grey colours: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...gt3-rs-94.html.
That's the best comparison I've seen. Really shows the "color" in the FG vs the neutral Suzuka and likely GC!! Now I see the color of the FG Macan that I hadn't seen in other FG pics. I think the GC is what I'm looking for.

I know you switched to FG so wondering what made you change given you hadn't seen GC? (Sorry if you already posted why...have read so many posts)
Old 01-01-2016 | 12:55 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by fowhdr
That's the best comparison I've seen. Really shows the "color" in the FG vs the neutral Suzuka and likely GC!! Now I see the color of the FG Macan that I hadn't seen in other FG pics. I think the GC is what I'm looking for.

I know you switched to FG so wondering what made you change given you hadn't seen GC? (Sorry if you already posted why...have read so many posts)
Great. I'm glad that helped.

Here's the long answer to your question.

To be honest, I had no in person experience with either colour prior to ordering and prior to switching. I only really learned about PTS from RL and posts from guys like Eduardo. My criterion was I wanted a non-metallic light to medium grey, somewhere in the same range as GT silver, etc. Solid, since I liked that look for a GT3 over a metallic. Grey, since I wanted a fairly reserved, under-the-radar look. It looked really technical and almost plastic (if that makes sense), which I thought was a great look for a modern car. Think AT-AT Walker or any number of mecha anime.

I LOVE the look of the 997 Sport Classic. It is perfect to me and what I really hoped to emulate.

Unfortunately, I soon found out this colour was not available. So I took as inspiration a few of the grey cars that I saw on the streets.
I liked the colour of the Hyundai Veloster, for example.

Here's my car with a Veloster in this particular shade of light grey pearl (as I believe it's called), and you can see modegrau is slightly more colourful than the Hyundai (sorry for the lousy photo).

(Well, of course, at the time I didn't have my GT3, so that photo came much later.)

At the time I was deciding, I also really loved Grigio campovolo, especially on the Fiat Abarth.

That's how I picked initially. Grigio campovolo was on the approved PTS list and fit the bill. In photos of the colour (mostly Boxsters), it looked like a nice solid grey.

My only reservation initially was that it might turn out too light, and essentially indistinguishable from white. And if I was going to go with PTS, I didn't want a variation of white. Since a few photos I found looked very light, this nagging worry remained in the back of my mind. But I still went with campovolo grey anyway.

Then the stop sale happened, and I had to reorder my car and had the opportunity (curse) of reviewing all my choices. I lucked out by being able to ultimately add LWB and then the yellow CXX steering wheel marker stripe. But it also meant I needed to confirm my paint selection (even though my grigio campovolo paint had actually been ordered and probably delivered to the factory at this point--my car was supposed to be built within a couple of weeks of the stop in production of GT3s happening). So I succumbed to classic overthinking and looked at a bunch of photos all over again.

By this point (being a first time Porsche customer), I had started to learn more about Porsche and its history, and had become a fair bit more educated by people I'd gotten to know in the interim like Eduardo and Stuart Drummond (at Pfaff Toronto)). At this point, the idea of going with an original "Porsche" colour, unlike one from Fiat, on an iconic Porsche like the GT3 began to appeal more to me. (Even Voodoo blue, which I loved on the GT3, began to lose its lustre to me, since I realized it was a Toyota colour.) So I again reconsidered modegrau.

My concern initially about fashion grey was that in a few photos it looked very very brown.

(I learned later that one of these photos (a CGT) was probably Stone grey, so I was thrown off by that misinformation.)

(As an aside, another one of a 997 RS that I loved was in fact Dolphin grey.)

Ultimately, I took a leap of faith, realizing that fashion grey was much more neutral than I initially thought from the mislabeled photos, and went with it. New photos I had acquired in the interim, like this one, also helped change my perception of it.

When I got the car, I loved it! It is definitely more "colourful" than a more neutral grey like campovolo. But in many ways, that helped transform it away from "primer grey" to a more rich and varied colour that almost chameleon-like had more personalities and more depth to my eye.

Occasionally, it comes off as quite yellow, especially in iPhone photos. That is definitely a draw back in some ways (on the plus side, I think it goes well with yellow accents like PCCB, etc). In real life, I think it looks pretty decent. And now more than ever, I particularly love the historic connection this colour has to the earliest of Porsches (the pre-A 356s).

Honestly, you won't go wrong with any of these grey colours. It is thus mostly a matter of what speaks to you and what you want. Fashion grey maybe has become a little too popular recently. With 10 more GT3s and 25 more Rennsport Reunion GTSs, there are relatively many of them now floating around. If you want exclusivity, you'll definitely have that in bucket loads with Grigio campovolo. It is also perfect if you prefer a lighter grey, and if you are set on a completely desaturated grey.

Hopefully that wasn't too long-winded.
Old 01-01-2016 | 09:59 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Daniel, how did you get to know Stuart Drummond?
Old 01-01-2016 | 11:25 AM
fowhdr
Track Day

Thanks for sharing all the detail and thoughts. That's what makes every one of these cars so special!
Old 01-01-2016 | 01:37 PM
<3mph
Drifting

bronson7, I was introduced to Stuart by my brother, who bought a 997.1 RS from him. He is very well-informed and involved in all things Exclusive and with some very special cars, and he was happy to call or meet in person to discuss. He apparently really likes fashion grey and had had the chance to see at least a few cars in this colour, so his opinion was very valuable to me when making this decision. Are you one of his customers too?

fowhdr, you're welcome, and I hope you enjoyed grappling with your decision as much as I did! BTW, the iPhone photos of fashion grey I've posted (underground garage with dim light) show more yellow than my eye generally perceives.
Old 01-01-2016 | 03:02 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
bronson7, I was introduced to Stuart by my brother, who bought a 997.1 RS from him. He is very well-informed and involved in all things Exclusive and with some very special cars, and he was happy to call or meet in person to discuss. He apparently really likes fashion grey and had had the chance to see at least a few cars in this colour, so his opinion was very valuable to me when making this decision. Are you one of his customers too?
I'm not one of his customers but I've spoken to him a few times together with my SA regarding PTS. He is very well respected in the knowledge he brings to his customers.
Old 01-18-2016 | 11:25 PM
<3mph
Drifting

I just had to post photos of this beautiful Targa in fashion grey, recently delivered to a fellow RLer! Congratulations to the owner!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9139...targa-gts.html

Old 01-18-2016 | 11:31 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Those Fashion grey cars are simply gorgeous.
Old 01-19-2016 | 02:26 PM
RSGT
Advanced

Default Fashion Grey GTS Cab in Germany

Old 01-19-2016 | 05:56 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Interesting choice of top. With Fashion Grey, I think I would probably go with black or dark grey. Needless to say, nice car.
Old 01-19-2016 | 06:10 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by RSGT
Thanks for posting that photo! Fashion grey can go really well with red (for instance the Rennsport reunion edition GTS has red and black accents). The soft top red here looks a little washed out so it might look sharper in person. Besides I would think it will be driven with the top down a fair bit too!!

Quick Reply: The modegrau / Fashion grey thread