Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The modegrau / Fashion grey thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 01:18 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Slightly OT, but I have never before seen the official colour code for Sport Classic grey posted. It's 63A.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:41 PM
fowhdr
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Variations in same "era" Fashion Grey?

Since I am new to the forum, I wanted to give some quick background. A year ago, two months after taking delivery of a 991 C2S my dealer had two unsold GT3s available (not PTS). I decided that I didn’t want to have the conversation with my wife that I would be out at least $15k plus the $30+ MSRP difference, so I passed.

This November, after having regretted that decision for a year, I asked my SA to confirm that GT3s production had ended and no more unsold deliveries expected. No more, but they did have a used Fashion Grey coming in on a trade. I had been aware of PTS, but had not yet read all of the posts here or Eduardo’s great threads on how hard it can be to get one and what the market for them has become. When I found out it would go for $20k over I had to pass again. It was sold quickly (the purchaser identified him/her self in the special PTS 30 forum but it was not one of those cars). Unfortunately, I was out of town and did not get a chance to see the car (color) in person. The good news was they were getting a Macan S Fashion Grey in December, so I would at least get to see the color in person in anticipation of a future FG GT3 (yes, I am rolling the dice on what/when/PTS potential).

I have seen all of the pictures on this thread and many other FG photos and although there is a wide variety, the vast majority show a fairly neutral color. Last week, the Macan arrived and I went right away to look at it. The color seems to have almost a green hue which nothing I read had described it this way. Btw, it was an overcast day. The SA and SM both said they thought the color was a lot darker than the GT3. Are there usually any variations in the PTS colors on the same model car, same vintage, different model cars? Have any of the posters seen cars next to each other and noticed any difference in tone, brightness, etc.? It seems surprising that there would be much difference in almost same year PTS colors. I love the color in most of the more neutral pictures but question this color on the Macan. Here are the pictures of the Macan and a couple of the GT3.

D
Attached Images      
Old 12-28-2015, 04:02 PM
rollsroy
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

@lessthan3mph

Haha that's not me. Mine's still stock exterior wise with OEM clear markers and tint.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:26 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by fowhdr
Since I am new to the forum, I wanted to give some quick background. A year ago, two months after taking delivery of a 991 C2S my dealer had two unsold GT3s available (not PTS). I decided that I didn’t want to have the conversation with my wife that I would be out at least $15k plus the $30+ MSRP difference, so I passed.

This November, after having regretted that decision for a year, I asked my SA to confirm that GT3s production had ended and no more unsold deliveries expected. No more, but they did have a used Fashion Grey coming in on a trade. I had been aware of PTS, but had not yet read all of the posts here or Eduardo’s great threads on how hard it can be to get one and what the market for them has become. When I found out it would go for $20k over I had to pass again. It was sold quickly (the purchaser identified him/her self in the special PTS 30 forum but it was not one of those cars). Unfortunately, I was out of town and did not get a chance to see the car (color) in person. The good news was they were getting a Macan S Fashion Grey in December, so I would at least get to see the color in person in anticipation of a future FG GT3 (yes, I am rolling the dice on what/when/PTS potential).

I have seen all of the pictures on this thread and many other FG photos and although there is a wide variety, the vast majority show a fairly neutral color. Last week, the Macan arrived and I went right away to look at it. The color seems to have almost a green hue which nothing I read had described it this way. Btw, it was an overcast day. The SA and SM both said they thought the color was a lot darker than the GT3. Are there usually any variations in the PTS colors on the same model car, same vintage, different model cars? Have any of the posters seen cars next to each other and noticed any difference in tone, brightness, etc.? It seems surprising that there would be much difference in almost same year PTS colors. I love the color in most of the more neutral pictures but question this color on the Macan. Here are the pictures of the Macan and a couple of the GT3.

D
Hi fowhdr, and welcome to RL! I'm impressed by your persistence and hope you land your dream car one day, whatever colour that ends up being.

First off, as has been repeated a lot around here, photos are not always representative of what a car looks like in person. Fashion grey in particular is hard to photograph, probably in part because it picks up a lot of the ambient colour and light and reflects it subtly to change its appearance. It may come off as a little yellow / brown at times--it may even have a little green in it, and rarely has a little red! It is definitely not pure, desaturated grey. For example, see some of the photos of the modegrau GT4 in the post above (click the link to see more photos, some of which look more grey and some more brown).

It's too bad you didn't get a chance to see the GT3 before it sold. To date, all the fashion grey cars (about a half dozen) that I've seen in person look the same to me. They have all been recent cars: mine, a few of the extra 10 (three or four), and a Rennsport reunion edition GTS. So I doubt that the factory would paint visibly different hues of the same colour.

As for the Macan, there are a few possibilities. First, it is quite possible that this is not actually fashion grey. It may be that the dealership stated the wrong colour by accident, and that this is more likely Stone grey instead--but this guess is based largely on your photos. That would be consistent with their comments that it looks darker than the GT3 did, and aligns with your comments about the green tint. The second possibility relates to the conditions when you saw the car, and that the ambient light and some surrounding objects / buildings / sky made the Macan look different than how the SA remembers it.

I'm very curious what the answer is. Would you please try to verify the paint colour code with the dealership? It is located on a small black sticker that is usually placed in the manual (either service or owner's), or occasionally is placed on the car. It should have the colour code "61H" if it is fashion grey. If it is Stone grey, it should read "Z67," or some other code if it is neither of these. See also post #4 in this thread for pictures of Stone grey.

If the Macan is indeed fashion grey, and it does not appeal to you, then an alternative colour you may want to consider is Grigio campovolo which is even more neutral grey than 61H and is also already approved on the current PTS list.

Good luck and thanks for your post!
Old 12-29-2015, 02:15 PM
fowhdr
Track Day

Thanks. That is very helpful. I am checking now to see if the Macan is still there and will try to verify if it is indeed a 61H color. It looks a lot more like the Stone Grey but as you said, cannot tell in photos.

I will check on the other Grigio campovolo color as well.

Also, I think that the GT3 was one of the 30. I was under the impression when it came in it had been ordered by that customer previously, but the VIN is only 10 off from the Signal Greens from Eduardo's thread so I just wanted to correct that before getting comments. I am also asking the dealer if they know.

I'll keep you posted.

Devin
Old 12-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

That Macan looks like exactly the same color as a Fashion Grey GT3 I saw that was one of the original 30. Very eggnog-looking.

Thanks. That is very helpful. I am checking now to see if the Macan is still there and will try to verify if it is indeed a 61H color. It looks a lot more like the Stone Grey but as you said, cannot tell in photos.

I will check on the other Grigio campovolo color as well.

Also, I think that the GT3 was one of the 30. I was under the impression when it came in it had been ordered by that customer previously, but the VIN is only 10 off from the Signal Greens from Eduardo's thread so I just wanted to correct that before getting comments. I am also asking the dealer if they know.

I'll keep you posted.

Devin
Old 12-29-2015, 02:55 PM
fowhdr
Track Day

Thanks. That is a pretty informative description I have not heard. I would agree with that although in person I thought this Macan had a slight green hue which is what I questioned about it and whether I loved it as much as the neutral pictures that I was expecting. I will have to seek out one of the more neutral greys as
Old 12-29-2015, 02:57 PM
fowhdr
Track Day

(not sure what happened to the rest of my post I think I used a less than sign for lessthan3mph and it cut the rest off):

lessthan3mph suggested.

It has been raining here for the last week so hoping to get some sunshine and look at it again in better light.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:58 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Also, I think that the GT3 was one of the 30. I was under the impression
when it came in it had been ordered by that customer previously, but the
VIN is only 10 off from the Signal Greens from Eduardo's thread so I just
wanted to correct that before getting comments. I am also asking the
dealer if they know. I'll keep you posted.

Devin
Devin:

If you give us the Vin # of the 'Fashion Grey' gt3 that was traded in,
perhaps that might help us identify it. Was it sold new by them? If
not, ask your dealer if the know the dealer in the US where that 'FG'
gt3 was originally allocated to by PCNA & delivered to...that will tell
us too!

What state are you located & what is the dealership you are talking
to us about?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS I take them at their word. If they told you their PTS Macan S is
'Fashion Grey', they should know...since they custom ordered it!

Old 12-29-2015, 03:15 PM
fowhdr
Track Day

Eduardo,

It was the one on ebay that SIC 58 (?) posted on the PTS30 thread was in his garage. Purchased through Euroclassic Porsche in Midlothian, VA (my location). That VIN was 9228 so I believe it has to be one of the 30, correct? I went back through your thread and the lowest VIN on the SGs was 9238 I think. I am trying to confirm through dealer as well. I was just under the impression that particular car was older and ordered by the original owner. That was my mistake though as I didn't know to ask the question until I found your thread a couple weeks ago!
Old 12-29-2015, 06:07 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
If the Macan is indeed fashion grey, and it does not appeal to you, then an alternative colour you may want to consider is Grigio campovolo which is even more neutral grey than 61H and is also already approved on the current PTS list.
Daniel, Here's a picture of my new Grigio Campovolo Y99 - less than a week old. Hopefully it will be of use to anyone researching all things grey on your very informative thread. More Y99 snaps on the 991 thread at: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9111...e-at-last.html

Best regards.
Puf
The following users liked this post:
unclejosh (11-20-2021)
Old 12-29-2015, 06:20 PM
fowhdr
Track Day

Originally Posted by Puf n Stuf
Daniel, Here's a picture of my new Grigio Campovolo Y99 - less than a week old. Hopefully it will be of use to anyone researching all things grey on your very informative thread. More Y99 snaps on the 991 thread at: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9111...e-at-last.html

Best regards.
Puf
Looks great! Definitely a strong contender. Look forward to seeing more pictures on your thread.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:47 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice. First time I believe I've seen Grigio Campovolo.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:38 PM
tekniik
Advanced

This was in the showroom when I dropped my car off for service last week:

Old 12-30-2015, 12:55 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Puf n Stuf
Here's a picture of my new Grigio Campovolo Y99
Wow, that is so utterly gorgeous!! I can't imagine anyone being any happier than you right now!! Thank you for posting the photo and link. I haven't seen GC in person, and your photos are the best I've seen of the colour. Now I know I couldn't have gone wrong with it had I kept it as I originally had intended. Your post couldn't have come at a better time too! Perhaps fowhdr will be following your lead. And what a great choice it would be on a 991.2 GT3!

Originally Posted by Z356
If they told you their PTS Macan S is
'Fashion Grey', they should know
Originally Posted by Mech33
That Macan looks like exactly the same color as a Fashion Grey GT3 I saw that was one of the original 30. Very eggnog-looking.
You are both probably right that this is fashion grey. It's just the photos looked so much more saturated with yellow / green / brown than most of my own photos, which made me question if it might actually be something other than fashion grey. Hopefully we'll get a definitive answer!

Originally Posted by tekniik
This was in the showroom when I dropped my car off for service last week
Fantastic! Great find, and thanks for posting! Very nice photos. I'm assuming this is a fashion grey GTS, although clearly not one of the Rennsport Reunion Edition cars (although my eyes may be deceiving me lately).

Quick Reply: The modegrau / Fashion grey thread