Sponsored by:

The modegrau / Fashion grey thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 12:04 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by farfromcommonGT3
Excuse my last post as I'm still a noob here!

That is a teaser of my Fashion Grey GT3. I was fortunate enough to take delivery last Wednesday of the last PTS bonus car from Stevens Creek and have a bit more into the story behind how they got there's as well as he allocations themselves!

But that's for another time. In the interim I am addressing some short comings on the spec ( adding PCCB, clear taillight sand reflectors, and finally adding LWBs to replace the 4 Ways..)

I have some other unique touches being applied, and hopefully the car will be done by next weekend so I can share it with you all!

Hope that you enjoy this shot, and keep the beautiful shots of your amazing car coming Daniel! Thank you for educating and showing the world about what a unique, rich, and special color Fashion Grey / Greymode is. I for one enjoy your perspective and history of the color greatly!

C
Welcome C! And congratulations on the arrival of your wonderful new fashion grey GT3! I can't wait to see more photos, including of your mods, and I'm very interested to hear all about what it took to add PCCB and LWBs. We're a little short on back story for the additional 10 special fashion grey cars, so any details you can fill in on what the dealership and you went through would be awesome. Glad to have you among the few of us who have been lucky enough to find one of these!
Old 09-07-2015, 12:23 AM
farfromcommonGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The modegrau / Fashion grey thread

Originally Posted by Mech33
Nice custom colored GTS wheels! You don't mind that they are 1/2" narrower in the rear?

And do share how you are getting your hands on a set of LWBs!

Happy to share all of my story and the Herculean journey it's been for the car... And the LWB!

Mech33, actually these are off a turbo s, they are the same offset, diameter, and width as the GT3 wheels! The only mod needed was a tire change and a four wheel alignment. Thank you for noticing the color! Like everything else it seems on the car, there is a story...

The color is HRE Satin Bronze. I call it my 'stolen formula!' It's literally the HRE color down to the three types of powder they use! It's as close to Coca Cola's secret recipe as anything car related ever! It was actually the hardest thing to get my hands on. I don't want to share my secrets in public, you never know if I may have to employ the same kind of skullduggery again, and I would prefer my methods to be useful again! As a treat, I have included a Targa that I just custom built for a friend that includes the only known painting of the new targa roll hoop to match the stolen recipe bronze we did on the wheels! Look closely, we also painted all the trims on the car in body color, mahogany, including the calipers to match! I only show these to give you all hints as to what is coming for the Fashion Grey car!

As a final treat for anyone here, give me a pm and I'll happily give the goods on the color for any RL'er who asks.

Daniel:

I'm happy to share my story, but I think out of respect to Eduardo, I should do it on his sticky thread. He has been SO helpful in exposing this new addition to Porsche PTS lore. This particular car has a unique place as its the last one of the 30, and the lengths I had to go to to get my hands on it border on the ludicrous. And I have a PTS RS due in, and that car seemed EASY by comparison. However, the first time I drove it bone stock, and I have only driven it the once (!) the car elicited such a reaction from the jaded car people in LA, I scarcely believed it. When I got back to the car I found this note left this note on my car! Hysterical
Attached Images     
Old 09-07-2015, 12:33 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Wow, that targa is just beautiful!! Amazing job!!

Can't wait to hear more on your GT3 now!
And of course, Eduardo's thread is the most appropriate place for those details on the back story, but I hope you won't mind posting a link here to your info there.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:38 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by farfromcommonGT3
Happy to share all of my story and the Herculean journey it's been for the car... And the LWB!

Mech33, actually these are off a turbo s, they are the same offset, diameter, and width as the GT3 wheels! The only mod needed was a tire change and a four wheel alignment. Thank you for noticing the color! Like everything else it seems on the car, there is a story...

The color is HRE Satin Bronze. I call it my 'stolen formula!' It's literally the HRE color down to the three types of powder they use! It's as close to Coca Cola's secret recipe as anything car related ever! It was actually the hardest thing to get my hands on. I don't want to share my secrets in public, you never know if I may have to employ the same kind of skullduggery again, and I would prefer my methods to be useful again! As a treat, I have included a Targa that I just custom built for a friend that includes the only known painting of the new targa roll hoop to match the stolen recipe bronze we did on the wheels! Look closely, we also painted all the trims on the car in body color, mahogany, including the calipers to match! I only show these to give you all hints as to what is coming for the Fashion Grey car!

As a final treat for anyone here, give me a pm and I'll happily give the goods on the color for any RL'er who asks.

Daniel:

I'm happy to share my story, but I think out of respect to Eduardo, I should do it on his sticky thread. He has been SO helpful in exposing this new addition to Porsche PTS lore. This particular car has a unique place as its the last one of the 30, and the lengths I had to go to to get my hands on it border on the ludicrous. And I have a PTS RS due in, and that car seemed EASY by comparison. However, the first time I drove it bone stock, and I have only driven it the once (!) the car elicited such a reaction from the jaded car people in LA, I scarcely believed it. When I got back to the car I found this note left this note on my car! Hysterical
Excellent color sourcing! But note that the Turbo S wheels are 9" front & 11.5" rear, while the GT3's are 9" front & 12" rear. The 1/2" might not be that noticeable, though, depending on the offset...
Old 09-07-2015, 01:53 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Here is the link to farfromcommongt3's back story on acquiring that spectacular GT3!!! https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post12570622

A very cool story! I love your enthusiasm for your car and the amazing deal you struck to get it!
Old 09-07-2015, 02:03 PM
farfromcommonGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The modegrau / Fashion grey thread

Thank you for your kind words Daniel! It has been a long road, but in a couple days it will be over, and then the real journeys can commence in earnest. I plan on using it every day, so I hope there will be many more posts to come on this thread, and amazing stories to share!
Old 09-07-2015, 02:07 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Cool, and I'm happy to hear you're using yours as a DD too!

Unfortunately, the quote function on RL does not seem to work with certain symbols (including the "less than" symbol). It happens all the time with my username, for example. The only work around that I'm aware of at the moment is to manually remove the "less than" in the header which appears in the "Reply to Thread" box when quoting me. A nuisance. Sorry. (Moderators, if you are able to fix this glitch, please help!)
Old 09-26-2015, 02:58 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Well it's been an eventful day for fashion grey at Rennsport Reunion V today!

For the first time ever a special edition car has been released just for Rennsport. With only 25 examples available (and all spoken for within a few hours of the unveiling around 10 this morning!) this is likely going to be a very rare and desirable car for enthusiasts and collectors alike. And fashion grey has been selected for this spectacular car! Apparently the "VKS" (Special Customer cars) unit developed and headed since 2012 by Boris Apenbrink within Exclusive, was responsible for putting together this and other recent commemorative and special cars (just like the PCA club coupe). Job well done! From my pov this car got more attention than the 991.2 and many other display cars at the Porsche tent! Price was $148,335 in case you were interested. And it includes a special plaque on the glove compartment, factory decals in black and red, black wheels, special illuminated sills with the name, other black deviated bits, etc.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:17 AM
<3mph
Drifting

In other news, I ran into Eduardo and the very gracious Mr. Ingo Frenkel (VP Customer Care, which includes Exclusive and other units) who spent quite a long time chatting with my wife and me, and enjoyed a very interesting discussion on the workings of PAG and PTS. I'm sure Eduardo will be breaking the news on what we learned about PTS run rates, windows, etc. So I won't steal his thunder.

But I did learn that even sacred colours like Sport Classic grey were intended to be safeguarded for 3-4 years and not necessarily indefinitely. Also Mr. Frenkel related his personal involvement in the design philosophy for cars such as the Sport Classic. For that car, he wished to let the design elements like the double bubble roof, special Fuchs inspired wheels and ducktail speak for themselves without distraction from a bright colour. So he worked with the board to approve a colour that some have likened to primer. And look how iconic that colour has now become! I think it was a brilliant move and has resulted in a very memorable car from Porsche.

Like the Rennsport Reunion Edition GTS now, we may very well see more cars like this. Perhaps even another one in the not too distant future from the very successful VKS unit. Let's hope! And hopefully with amazing colours like Club Blau, which is absolutely striking and rich in person!! It has toppled Voodoo from atop my fav blue list. Although it (like UV for now it seems) will be off limits for other models.

Last edited by <3mph; 09-26-2015 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:33 AM
<3mph
Drifting

And finally I was thrilled to have Mr. Frenkel and Mr. Andreas Preuninger kindly sign my (fashion grey gt3) owner's manual. I met AP at RRV and he was a true gentleman. Cool to chat with him for a bit. Plus 26 past and current drivers, legends including the likes of Hurley Haywood, Tandy, Long, Hartley, Sullivan, Elford, Aase, Piper, and many others, also signed my manual (and a flag for my wife)!! Super stoked!

Old 09-26-2015, 03:52 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Oh and one more thing! While of course there were a lot of cool cars there in colours similar to fashion grey (eg. probably dolphin grey on this 356, slightly less saturated grey)

I also spotted a couple fashion grey GT3s!! One with really sharpblack accents. Rollsroy is that yours?

And while we were at dinner (Luca in Carmel, a perfect spot thanks to Eduardo's suggestion) we saw this stunningly reinterpreted version of a fashion grey GT3 with ducktail and colour matched skirts etc. Farfromcommongt3 I have to believe this is your spectacular car!

A great day for fashion grey spotting and news all around!! And there's still 2 more days of RRV to go!!
Old 09-26-2015, 08:58 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some cool pics and pretty awesome regarding all the autographs.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:53 AM
TheDapperDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 33 Posts

wow amazing spots
Old 09-27-2015, 11:51 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

I was there yesterday and missed the autograph session! What a cool idea to bring your manual- I think I will do that!
Old 11-19-2015, 08:18 PM
<3mph
Drifting

A few more fashion grey links:

Here's the link to T Bone's GT3, from this forum: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...hion-grey.html Enjoy your new ride!

Also the first fashion grey GT4 I've heard of, just arrived in Toronto, to happy RL owner, Provie. Congrats! Apparently more photos coming...
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9046...hion-grey.html

Quick Reply: The modegrau / Fashion grey thread