Sponsored by:

Things I don't like about RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:05 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Someone else posted about the enduring love of NA GT cars among the brass at PAG.

It's no big deal for the cayenne line to go turbo, heck even the panamera/Macan lines, as they aren't sports cars.

I will shed a few tears if the Boxster/Cayman/regular 911 lines all go turbo, but I have no concerns about the low volume halo GT lines, (which minimal affect on co2 for the Porsche brand).

HOWEVER, PAG will always offer NA GT sports cars-
Originally Posted by rockitman
I hope your right. Seems like Ferrari is abandoning NA motors.
I hope we are all proven to be right one day. On a side note: Ferrari has mentioned that it wants to stay with the NA V12 (with hybrid assist of course) in it's Halo models. Although that will suck if the only way to get a screaming high-performance NA engine in the future will be if you can only afford the million dollar plus price tag.

Originally Posted by Petevb
So would I, but I can tell you the 918 engine is far, far more expensive. The suppliers used for production are extremely specialized and high quality, but they can't practically do high volumes. The 918 has nearly 2x the power to weight ratio of the 9A1 GT3, but it achieves this with zero modularity, parts sharing, room for future expansion, etc. Meanwhile the GT3 engine is effectively a hot-rodded boxster engine.

I'd hazard a WAG that the 918 engine costs ~3 times more to produce, something in that range.

Then ask yourself why you'd use it? The RSRs all run in "performance balanced" classes, so if the car is too fast they add ballast to slow it down. So what's the upside?
The voice of reason. Wow Pete, thanks again for your input! Didn't think clearly in my response about race classes needing to be "balanced" - as well as the costs involved to the racing teams & the sport in general.

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
You actually nailed it!
This car doesn't make a lot of sense! A true race car makes sense. So does a Camry.
But a Porsche RS is for those of us that didn't get the chance to become pro race drivers but still wants to feel like one every now and then.
Lexan, straps, stickers on the hood makes no sense but adds to the wanna be race car driver feel.
Personally I will never be able to extract the last tenth of these cars, but they put a big smile on my face every time I go for a drive.
I was kind of thinking... What if it is not always about the "racing" aspect of it; and maybe a little of it is about wanting the most tuned, razor sharp, atomic scalpel (as opposed to the blunt hammer) of a road legal performance car and carving up your favorite canyon road with it.

Makes me truly wonder how "precise" a GT3RS will feel in your hands on your favorite back road compared to say...a McLaren P1, 918, or LaF.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:05 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True, but I would look at it this way! You keep the RS as extreme/light as possible! I'm thinking center console delete, really thin carpets, no nav, radio, no sport crono, no pit lane/cruise control maybe even get a real track lap timer! Set up like the perfect DE car. You might loose a few customers that really wants all the comfy stuff! That might buy a gt3 or a turbo instead?
Trust me, Porsche has the numbers crunched so tight, that our opinions, wants and desires are just that. They will do what THEY feel will maximize profit.

But it's fun to wish for sure
Old 03-05-2015, 11:47 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Trust me, Porsche has the numbers crunched so tight, that our opinions, wants and desires are just that. They will do what THEY feel will maximize profit. But it's fun to wish for sure
Always fun to dream! How many here would prefer a street legal cup car interior vs Panamera interior?
Old 03-06-2015, 12:13 AM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Always fun to dream! How many here would prefer a street legal cup car interior vs Panamera interior?
Prefer my "street legal" DD Panamera GTS interior
Old 03-06-2015, 08:13 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Check out consolidated thread! Our dream might come true! Rumor of a street legal "gt3rs cup" towards end of production! 👊👊
Old 03-06-2015, 08:29 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How would a cup car interior ever be steet legal ? I mean it's an empty metal can. No thanks. You want a cup car interior you buy a cup car, trailer and all the track goodies for it.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:00 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

No carpet, carbon door cards, bare bone, etc., etc.

Nothing wrong with more street-focused GT3 interior, but RS should be raw, bare bones. RS customers keep asking but on this point Porsche is not listening.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Nizer; 03-06-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:20 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nizer
Now! That's an RS interior!!! Beautiful.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:36 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ easier to clean the grass and mud out too. DE Package should be a hose off interior w/drain holes like boat.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:51 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing wrong with more street-focused GT3 interior, but RS should be raw, bare bones. RS customers keep asking but on this point Porsche is not listening.
couldnt agree more
Old 03-06-2015, 01:11 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

True, but I would look at it this way! You keep the RS as extreme/light as possible! I'm thinking center console delete, really thin carpets, no nav, radio, no sport crono, no pit lane/cruise control maybe even get a real track lap timer! Set up like the perfect DE car. You might loose a few customers that really wants all the comfy stuff! That might buy a gt3 or a turbo instead?
They have cars like that available. They are called RACE cars. They require Trailers and Tow vehicles to haul them around. Even if they could be licensed for the street, they would be too uncomfortable and too noisy to drive hundreds of miles to race tracks unless you enjoy punishing yourself - and anyone else crazy enough to ride with you.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:27 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
They have cars like that available. They are called RACE cars. They require Trailers and Tow vehicles to haul them around. Even if they could be licensed for the street, they would be too uncomfortable and too noisy to drive hundreds of miles to race tracks unless you enjoy punishing yourself - and anyone else crazy enough to ride with you.
Ok, I see your point! But on the other hand you have the gt3 that already is a great car to drive hundreds of miles to the race track and flog around the track faster than most! I just want a bit more differentiation between gt3 and RS! To me a gt3 is a street car that you can take to the track and the RS is a track car that you can drive on the road! Barely!dde03dde03

Edit. Rumors going around that they will make an RS for us that want to be punished! Gt3rs cup edition!
Old 03-06-2015, 01:30 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Now about that Crawford wing....
Old 03-06-2015, 03:28 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

+1
Old 03-06-2015, 05:29 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Now about that Crawford wing....
TOUCHE!!!
We can all agree that to go faster, some cosmetic sacrifices are often necessary,
And, considering some comments on the GT3RS, Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder! LOL

Quick Reply: Things I don't like about RS