Sponsored by:

Things I don't like about RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Vtach
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
-the color choices -all the black plastic, especially the rear deck -the higher stance that people are reporting
The 21 inch wheels. Add extra weight and will be very expensive for tires
Old 03-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 28 Posts

Color choices
Price (hoping for around 165)
Wing (would have liked something more like the cup design)

That's about all
Old 03-07-2015, 06:16 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

I don t like
1) The Gearstick
2) Magnesium roof , too expensive for the benefits
3) the rear Turbo fenders
4) the Wing

in general that the car is mainly made for Ring like circuits

i do like

1) It s still a 911
1) Lava orange
2) front Fenders

Last edited by fxz; 03-07-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:20 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't the wheel 918 style ? That said, I can't come up with anything I dislike about this car. It is my 911 dream ....
Old 03-07-2015, 06:49 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Yeah the Wheel at the end is not too bad despite i would have liked the 4 o clock button

overall i don t like the gearstick it looks like ehm a ***** ?

i can t imagine Rocco how many movie will make on this RS....

The ***** ops the gearstick and the biiig wing uhm i guess he won t miss the Academy Awards

a lot of scripts there
Old 03-08-2015, 12:07 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Wish the the rear wing plane was left naked Carbon Fiber...versus paint, Like the 997.1RS...a thing of beauty.
Would like full PFC brake system.
PTS!
Old 03-08-2015, 01:15 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
It is about the same 60 inch length as the new GT3RS wing but 1 inch wider in Chord so it should produce the same 475 Lbs of Downforce as the GT3RS but at a lower speed than the 186 MPH quoted for the RS.
A) You can't accurately estimate peak downforce based on the wing's size. Airfoils vary too much for that.
B) You might well be able to achieve as much or more rear downforce as the RS, but unless you do something serious with the front you're not going to be faster that way.

Adding a little bit of rear downforce will help plant the rear. Adding a lot of rear downforce, close to the RS, will be counter productive especially at high speed, resulting in terminal understeer.

You generally want the aerodynamic center of pressure slightly behind the center of gravity for stability. If you've got 62% of the weight in the rear (like the GT3) you might want ~67% of the downforce back there- ~5% more rear downforce than weight bias is a race car rule of thumb.

At 186 mph, the GT3 has:
89 lbs F, 144 R (62% rear)

You'd assume adding an RS wing to the rear would result in:
89 F, 475 R (84% rear)

This would already be near undrivable in a max speed sweeper due to understeer- at high speed it would be as though you cranked in front swaybar and removed the rear, while at low speed it would be fine- handling balance would constantly be changing with speed, and start to change rapidly over ~130 mph.

However the reality would be even worse:

1) The rear wing acts a couple feet behind the rear wheels. Thus for every 10 lbs of downforce you add, you remove around 2 from the front- think of the rear wheels as the fulcrum of a seesaw. This alone would get you to roughly:
56 F, 490 R (90% rear)

2) The rear downforce will compress the rear suspension while the front relaxes. The rake on the car will change, and the downforce made by the splitter and underbody (which is significant) will start to go away. We're just guessing at this point, but ballpark you can expect:
+10 F, 510+ R (102% rear)

The faster you go, the further rearward the center of pressure will move and the worse the car will handle.

At low speeds downforce doesn't make a large contribution, thus even a bad aero imbalance won't be noticeable or might even feel good depending on the setup and driver. As speeds climb, however, it will get to be a very serious issue.

The RS gets around this by adding lots of front downforce to balance the rear, resulting in:
227 F, 475 R (67% rear)

This also means the center of pressure won't move around much, and handling won't change significantly as speeds climb (you'll get mild understeer).

I'm quite certain you don't have the wing angle adjusted to make anything like this type of downforce on your car currently. If you'd like to take full advantage of the downforce the wing can make you need to look at adding significantly more downforce to the front (splitter, etc). Otherwise you're limited to making a little more downforce than stock, but not a lot, before you start running into problems as above.

Last edited by Petevb; 03-08-2015 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:33 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some very interesting information, thanks Pete
Old 03-08-2015, 01:38 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm....

Probably my probability of getting one.:-(
Old 03-08-2015, 01:58 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
A) You can't accurately estimate peak downforce based on the wing's size. Airfoils vary too much for that.
B) You might well be able to achieve as much or more rear downforce as the RS, but unless you do something serious with the front you're not going to be faster that way.

Adding a little bit of rear downforce will help plant the rear. Adding a lot of rear downforce, close to the RS, will be counter productive especially at high speed, resulting in terminal understeer.

You generally want the aerodynamic center of pressure slightly behind the center of gravity for stability. If you've got 62% of the weight in the rear (like the GT3) you might want ~67% of the downforce back there- ~5% more rear downforce than weight bias is a race car rule of thumb.

At 186 mph, the GT3 has:
89 lbs F, 144 R (62% rear)

You'd assume adding an RS wing to the rear would result in:
89 F, 475 R (84% rear)

This would already be near undrivable in a max speed sweeper due to understeer- at high speed it would be as though you cranked in front swaybar and removed the rear, while at low speed it would be fine- handling balance would constantly be changing with speed, and start to change rapidly over ~130 mph.

However the reality would be even worse:

1) The rear wing acts a couple feet behind the rear wheels. Thus for every 10 lbs of downforce you add, you remove around 2 from the front- think of the rear wheels as the fulcrum of a seesaw. This alone would get you to roughly:
56 F, 490 R (90% rear)

2) The rear downforce will compress the rear suspension while the front relaxes. The rake on the car will change, and the downforce made by the splitter and underbody (which is significant) will start to go away. We're just guessing at this point, but ballpark you can expect:
+10 F, 510+ R (102% rear)

The faster you go, the further rearward the center of pressure will move and the worse the car will handle.

At low speeds downforce doesn't make a large contribution, thus even a bad aero imbalance won't be noticeable or might even feel good depending on the driver. As speeds climb, however, it will get to be a very serious issue.

The RS gets around this by adding lots of front downforce to balance the rear, resulting in:
227 F, 475 R (67% rear)

This also means the center of pressure won't move around much, and handling won't change significantly as speeds climb (you'll get mild understeer).

I'm quite certain you don't have the wing angle adjusted to make anything like this type of downforce on your car currently. If you'd like to take full advantage of the downforce the wing can make you need to look at adding significantly more downforce to the front (splitter, etc). Otherwise you're limited to making a little more downforce than stock, but not a lot, before you start running into problems as above.

Pete,
FLT's Crawford wing was designed and built by Max Crawford, specifically for his car. It isn't a "guess". It isn't a CF "bodykit" to make it look cool. Crawford took the time to design it, and FLT took the time to take his car to them to create it. Crawford has a lot of race credibility when it comes to designing rear wings (check out the Tudor car series). I am by no means challenging the physics of what you have put forward, but I have yet to see a 186 mph sweeper at a typical track, unless it is a banked oval turning left. What many of us early 991 GT3 track enthusiasts have noticed, is an unsettling of the rear when speeds reach 140 mph or so, under braking and in high speed sweepers. FLT reports snap over steer as well (I haven't experienced that). FLT's track happens to be Sebring, and he is well versed in how HIS car handled there with the OEM wing, as well as the Crawford wing. He reports faster times, significantly so, and has not reported any added understeer (as everyone fears). Of all the track mods I have seen so far, I think this "motorsports derived" wing is great. It is a true airfoil wing, not the attempt at an airfoil the OEM has put on the GT3. Before bashing the Crawford wing, I would think one would actually contact Max Crawford, and ask him about how he choose the design, what CAD/CAM design did he consider, what knowledge from motorsports did he utilize when creating it, etc, etc, etc. With his reputation and motorsports background, he wasn't likely just looking to make a buck by selling a "poser" Cf wing or bodykit. Just saying.....
Old 03-08-2015, 03:10 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Pete,
FLT's Crawford wing was designed and built by Max Crawford, specifically for his car. It isn't a "guess". It isn't a CF "bodykit" to make it look cool. Crawford took the time to design it, and FLT took the time to take his car to them to create it. Crawford has a lot of race credibility when it comes to designing rear wings (check out the Tudor car series). I am by no means challenging the physics of what you have put forward, but I have yet to see a 186 mph sweeper at a typical track, unless it is a banked oval turning left. What many of us early 991 GT3 track enthusiasts have noticed, is an unsettling of the rear when speeds reach 140 mph or so, under braking and in high speed sweepers. FLT reports snap over steer as well (I haven't experienced that). FLT's track happens to be Sebring, and he is well versed in how HIS car handled there with the OEM wing, as well as the Crawford wing. He reports faster times, significantly so, and has not reported any added understeer (as everyone fears). Of all the track mods I have seen so far, I think this "motorsports derived" wing is great. It is a true airfoil wing, not the attempt at an airfoil the OEM has put on the GT3. Before bashing the Crawford wing, I would think one would actually contact Max Crawford, and ask him about how he choose the design, what CAD/CAM design did he consider, what knowledge from motorsports did he utilize when creating it, etc, etc, etc. With his reputation and motorsports background, he wasn't likely just looking to make a buck by selling a "poser" Cf wing or bodykit. Just saying.....
I am not "bashing Crawford" or his wing. I am well aware of him and his reputation, and he makes some of few aerodynamic components I'd consider putting on my car.

Instead I'm attempting to correct your misconception of what it does and can do. The most basic misconception is that more downforce is better. It is not. You need properly balanced downforce to be useful. You're not going to get properly balance downforce by putting 500+ lbs at the rear of your GT3 as you suggested above, and if you try at some speed physics is going to rear its ugly head.

I have no doubt you're feeling a real benifit by increasing rear downforce slightly. However if you're not getting understeer when you don't change the front the increase in rear downforce is relatively slight, by definition. You're getting a small fraction of the GT3 RS aerodynamic benefits with a rear wind only, and suggesting, as you did above, that you're getting GT3 RS type downforce at the back at the angle you've set is not correct.

I'd suggest you discuss with Max, point him at these posts if it's useful, and see if he agrees. Then perhaps talk with him about a front splitter and what benefit it might bring.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:07 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
B) You might well be able to achieve as much or more rear downforce as the RS, but unless you do something serious with the front you're not going to be faster that way...
Truly interesting

Thanks for posting
Old 03-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

FWIW, guys running the GT America in IMSA GTD are not fans of the Crawford wing.

Last edited by Nizer; 03-10-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 28 Posts

Anyone know the comparable wing widths of the GT3 and RS? I think from a prior post the Crawford wing is 10 inches wider than the GT3 wing.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

Any one read the degrees of adjustability on the RS wing?

The 997 RS has 2 positions only and I added the CUP splitter, canards (on 3.8RS) and gurney flap. On all tracks I always ran max wing. This added about .5 seconds per mile of track with high speed corners. Tested it back to back.

Although the same wing the 3.8RS wing was something like 3 to 6 degrees but on the 4.0 it was up to 9 degrees or something and that's why the car also had helper springs.

I also added the Baron taller uprights, felt the same to me but I could see out the rear window..
I think Baron matched the adjustability of the 4.0 uprights.

Not sure how the helper or progressive? Springs affect the car but I never liked the rear on the 4.0 the 3.8 rear grip always felt better at Sebring. Another 4.0 changed his springs to 3.8 springs as well.

I don't have a full understanding of setup but for ME the car was always better for me with big wing and stiffer sway bar, I guess that's only to the point you need to stiffen the rear springs and add ride height to compensate for it and that may be counter productive on a bumpy track like Sebring.

The 4.0 was more sensitive to rake lowering the car overall, it needed more height in the rear and that was also how the factory specked it in the manual.

So more of the same in the new RS?l

Anyway for us weekend drovers it's easy to screw up the car weekend after weekend screwing around with all the adjustability. Downforce increases the problem exponentially.

Quick Reply: Things I don't like about RS