991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Peak value for 991 gt3 is now

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 12:35 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,502 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwired
with the new gt3 now appealing to a larger pool of sport car owners, i would imagine many of them may want to eventually upgrade to something exotic. wonder what 458 and mp4 prices will be like in a couple years
That's a good point, and you may be right, but seems that many would prefer the GT3 over those cars, even if price isn't a consideration. Plus, for significant track use, GT3 seems much preferable over them.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:37 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Yeah, I hear you.

But for me a Cayman, even in GT4 guise, does nothing for me.
Hey Ipse, try it, you might just like it. IMHO the GT4 will be one helluva car...
Old 03-06-2015, 12:43 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,024 Likes on 5,240 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwired
with the new gt3 now appealing to a larger pool of sport car owners, i would imagine many of them may want to eventually upgrade to something exotic. wonder what 458 and mp4 prices will be like in a couple years
Well, then it just sort of trickles down.

With the GT3 now appealing to a larger pool of sports car owners (as you say), then I'd imagine there will be many 911 C2S owners wanting to upgrade to something a bit more exotic, like the GT3.

It's a damn never ending cycle. It's what happens when type-A personalities start buying and driving sports cars.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:25 AM
20C4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 85 Posts

in its price range nothing can touch it. not a fan of PDK so i walked away from my order. but it's def a more appealing car to the mass market. knowing the production is done it will only help the market. i don't see the car will ever have a sharp drop in resale. let's not forget the new RS is so much more expensive than the GT3 unlike the previous car, which makes the GT3 like a bargain if u ask me.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:44 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Fellas. If I read Montoya correctly, he's not saying the values are going to take a dump, which is what some people are getting all bothered about. He's saying that they've hit a peak, which I would agree with. These cars will depreciate. How steep of a depreciation is yet to be seen, but it's not steep right now.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:56 AM
991 GT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look at post #30
Old 03-06-2015, 07:00 AM
991 GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by ZachMartin
And what would Porsche switching to a turbo GT3 do to all the values? something to ponder as more and more regulations are put on automakers. Only so much power and performance can be created with a naturally aspirated motor. There is a limit and we are absolutely on the line. What happens when you cant buy an All motor porsche anymore?? Like the days gone of air cooled engines, less and less N/A cars will be available. Surprised with all the input, no one pointed that out.
Refer to comment #30
Old 03-06-2015, 07:03 AM
991 GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by montoya
Oh boy, so many emotional comments! Maybe my post has been misunderstood. It is a perfectly rational post by me and I make no judgement on:

- Investment- What new car is an investment?
- Whether you should dump it for an RS (only you can decide)
- Whether to keep your GT3 (only you can decide)

No, what I am trying to say very rationally is:

1. That the interest and excitment on the GT3 is peaking or actually has peaked.

2. The RS moving forward will be in the press and the GT3 will be more and more in the rearview mirror.

3. 1600 units have been delivered, this is more GT3 cars of any model sold in such a short period.

4. The usual suspects will be selling the car soon for the next big thing- that might be the RS that might be something else, doesn't matter- many people make emotional purchases and dump the cars quickly when reality or payments hit home.

5. IF you think you want an RS- and you have a GT3 to sell,get ahead of this curve. - This is my main point.

What am I doing? I don't know, I never follow my own advice and usually regret it!!!

Response to #1 CGT and 997.2 4.0

the rest? free world approach
Old 03-06-2015, 07:11 AM
991 GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Just came back from the garage. Did I miss anything? :-)

lol

I think Im going to start my car and rev for a min to get my serenity now.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:12 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

This thread has been very informative - it's exactly this emotional exuberance that I want to sell into. I hope when someone shows up asking if they should buy my car they get the same response
Old 03-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Fellas. If I read Montoya correctly, he's not saying the values are going to take a dump, which is what some people are getting all bothered about. He's saying that they've hit a peak, which I would agree with. These cars will depreciate. How steep of a depreciation is yet to be seen, but it's not steep right now.
From the first post:

"... in 6 months as RS allocations are released the 991 gt3 will drop in value quickly as everyone sells for the next big thing or because the gt3 isn't."
Old 03-06-2015, 10:59 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
From the first post: "... in 6 months as RS allocations are released the 991 gt3 will drop in value quickly as everyone sells for the next big thing or because the gt3 isn't."
I still agree with this. There's no good reason why these cars will be valued at msrp or higher when used. There should be a decent drop in value from msrp. I'm not saying (and I don't think Montoya is either) that the floor with drop out, but a drop from where the car is right now is to be expected. People trying to sell the car at msrp or for only a few grand below msrp might be in for a surprise in a few months.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:10 AM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with op that 991 gt3 peak values are right now , but at the same time i am not expecting any drastic drops in the next few years. This will be one of the lowest depreciating cars you can buy in this category of performance.

People who have been on rennlist long enough will know this. I had a 2011 gt3 , when rs came out it was the same talk etc. There was minimal impact then , i see less of impact on 991 gt3 now primarily for these reasons:

1. In 2011 997.2 gt3 was very very hard to resale , at that time gt3 buyers were very limited. Hardcore track guys , manual only drivers. Very limited market has now opened up significantly with PDK and improvement in relative comfort level of the car. Larger market participants but about the same or less supply of cars ( minus 2014 lemon law cars). This creates a strong demand.

2. What else are you going to buy in the next 2 years with a warranty that offers same performance level for 120 to 140 k ? As someone mentioned i expect the demand to be strong from 991s buyers wanting to upgrade from below 100 k price point as well.

3. Upgrade to rs is not the same as last time when i could have had a rs of my choice all day for 25 k more. Its 50 k delta and big premiums long wait and breaking the 200 k used italian exotics barrier.

4. I feel this is the biggest jump between generations of gt3. The 997.1 to 997.2 gt3 was noticeable with few improvements etc , but this is the largest step change in the design and dynamics of the car. This car provides clear differentiation and pushes the envelope of performance much farther than its predecesors. That alone will be appealing for 997.1 and 997.2 owners interest in this car. Offcourse the hardcore manual guys will always be there , but many will slowly make to shift in the coming years.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:14 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I still agree with this. There's no good reason why these cars will be valued at msrp or higher when used. There should be a decent drop in value from msrp. I'm not saying (and I don't think Montoya is either) that the floor with drop out, but a drop from where the car is right now is to be expected. People trying to sell the car at msrp or for only a few grand below msrp might be in for a surprise in a few months.
Thanks Joe, you get my point entirely. I don't think the bottom will fall out on values, but I do think we are at the point here on out where prices will be lower every month- how much lower we don't know, but certainly you won't be able to sell at MSRP come the end of the year, like you could have done last month.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:11 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I never expected the 1.1 GT3 to go signifcantly up in value, but I don't expect much of a depreciation curve either. So use of the term 'peak' in this context seems inaccurate, there's no bubble for this car (in the US). But I do think some variants of the prior gens of 911s may be in a bubble.

Quick Reply: Peak value for 991 gt3 is now