991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Peak value for 991 gt3 is now

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 03:55 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

in compare to current GT3
considering only 0.5 seconds (half second) the 0 124 mph time difference with RS
10 Kg less the weight

i think GT3 will hold strongly if not northbound (9kRPM) and to balance the 50k premium
to get an NA ( only RS not anymore GT3 available sorry)

So RS no devaluation? Or even over MSRP price ??? Good the RS price will attract north the GT3 price
they are very similar in specs and performance !
Old 03-06-2015, 04:02 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My criteria for weekend/track sports car has always been the following:
NA
Lightweight (lower consumable costs?)
High Rev
RWD
Racing Heritage and proven track reliability
Great engine sound and response

Its quite a rarefied zone to find cars that suit the above criteria and sub 150k. 458S fits well but its 2 991 gt3 price, Lotus non existent, Z06 too heavy and SC issues for track...what else? used Ferrari is only car that suits my criteria. Done that but GT3 is better for track/street. Cayman and base 911 is perfect too. Had the 981 CS , very impressive car but needed a bit more hp which the GT4 will solve. If above criteria is still important to people...all GT3 must do well from depreciation standpoint.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:10 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Lots of people keep bringing up the $40k to $50k premium.

The 997.2 GT3 to RS was 14.8% higher, would mean $149,700 for the 991 RS
The 997.2 GT3 to RS 4.0 was 64.34% higher, would mean $214,300 for the 991 RS
Porsche went with 34.49% (closer to the RS than the RS 4.0 delta average of the 2 was 46.96%).

The significant price increase from the prior GT3 to the current GT3 was 17.36%.
Prior RS to current RS increase is 32.45%.

I think they got the pricing pretty much bang on for the market we're in.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Good point and makes it all relative! I think the same topic occured when the 997 GT3 was being compared to the 991 GT3 at the release date?? Each RS or non will have decent resale relative to that model ....can't go wrong with either purchase. As I said in previous post if you can nab the RS get it. Not sure how many RS owners will really track a 200k car and beat the crap out of it. Look at the used GT3 RS 4.0 market those vehicles are spotless, and some are fetching over 350k with a MSRP in the
185k range.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

The 991RS value will hold up very well. In turn that will hold up 991GT3 values. Can't go wrong with either car. They are special Porsche's.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,372 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Lots of people keep bringing up the $40k to $50k premium.

The 997.2 GT3 to RS was 14.8% higher, would mean $149,700 for the 991 RS
The 997.2 GT3 to RS 4.0 was 64.34% higher, would mean $214,300 for the 991 RS
Porsche went with 34.49% (closer to the RS than the RS 4.0 delta average of the 2 was 46.96%).

The significant price increase from the prior GT3 to the current GT3 was 17.36%.
Prior RS to current RS increase is 32.45%.

I think they got the pricing pretty much bang on for the market we're in.
I'd leave the RS 4.0 out of the comparison, since it was more a limited-edition collector's car. Then I think the price increase from the 991 GT3 to RS does seem too large.

My guess is that, given what they spent on the engine replacements, the formula for the RS was to keep the added development and manufacturing cost down compared to the GT3, but raise the price as high as the market will accept while still being able to sell all the cars they plan to produce, thus netting a decent profit margin for the overall GT3/RS project. If I'm right (maybe not!), that means RS buyers are the ones paying the price for the engine replacements by paying more for the car and/or getting less car than they otherwise would have gotten.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:20 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'd leave the RS 4.0 out of the comparison, since it was more a limited-edition collector's car. Then I think the price increase from the 991 GT3 to RS does seem too large.

My guess is that, given what they spent on the engine replacements, the formula for the RS was to keep the added development and manufacturing cost down compared to the GT3, but raise the price as high as the market will accept while still being able to sell all the cars they plan to produce, thus netting a decent profit margin for the overall GT3/RS project. If I'm right (maybe not!), that means RS buyers are the ones paying the price for the engine replacements by paying more for the car and/or getting less car than they otherwise would have gotten.
+1
make sense
Old 03-06-2015, 05:38 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Agree with all points.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
+1
make sense
Also agree

I hate this forum. I talked myself out of the RS but now I am thinking - screw it- I am going to get one. Who cares even if I am just going to street drive it. I also love a car that just perks all my emotions.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Also agree

I hate this forum. I talked myself out of the RS but now I am thinking - screw it- I am going to get one. Who cares even if I am just going to street drive it. I also love a car that just perks all my emotions.
Jimmy, you are getting sucked in......come back to the light my friend!

The RS is exciting, but overpriced for its modest improvements over the GT3, particularly for someone like yourself who won't be tracking either car. And the RS appearance is crazy over the top boy racer, fine for the track, but I wouldn't be seen taking a regular weekend trip in the RS, or drive the RS to my office, like I do with my GT3.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:51 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Also agree

do what makes you happy, if you can afford it

you can't take the money with you...
Old 03-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Jimmy, you are getting sucked in......come back to the light my friend!

The RS is exciting, but overpriced for its modest improvements over the GT3, particularly for someone like yourself who won't be tracking either car. And the RS appearance is crazy over the top boy racer, fine for the track, but I wouldn't be seen taking a regular weekend trip in the RS, or drive the RS to my office, like I do with my GT3.
Well written. Your points check all boxes.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:55 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Right, not limited edition, but still a 4.0 911 of which there has only been one. They saved us the massive price increase and went somewhere in the middle.

I think the backed off the RPM, but it doesn't really change performsnce just emotion of the car. I think PAG is meeting the market well, why let dealers or resellers make premiums?
Old 03-06-2015, 06:59 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,372 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Right, not limited edition, but still a 4.0 911 of which there has only been one. They saved us the massive price increase and went somewhere in the middle.

I think the backed off the RPM, but it doesn't really change performsnce just emotion of the car. I think PAG is meeting the market well, why let dealers or resellers make premiums?
I don't think of it in terms of comparing 4.0 vs 4.0, since the 1.1 GT3 is about as fast as the RS 4.0, despite being a measly 3.8. And of course the 1.1 GT3 also costs much less than the RS 4.0 (not even accounting for inflation).
Old 03-06-2015, 08:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

And here I thought driving my 3 was already an "event"! You mean it could be MORE of an event if I had a really humungous wing on the back and fender vents spewing road debris all over the car? How about if I just took the extra $50K in cash I could spend on an RS, glued it to my 3, and drove down the road trailing twenties like the biker guy in the GEICO commercial? Now THAT would be an event!

I'm not trying to be a jerk; just kidding. Really. It's pretty hard to make sense, to a normal person at least, of spending as much money as any of us have spent on our cars so it's clearly not a rational exercise in the first place. It's emotional. If it takes a $200K RS to light your fire, good for you. Apparently I'm a cheap date as a mere $150K GT3 fits my style and does it for me.

Quick Reply: Peak value for 991 gt3 is now