Sponsored by:

Anyone dislike the GT3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Just make sure your insured when going to the track. From what I've heard, your normal car insurance will not cover track use. I know others have noted that they buy a separate policies for track days. What are some of you guys doing that have made it to the track?

Crunching up a car and having no coverage would not be fun. Talk about out of pocket $$$$

You have to keep in mind, is that some guys have no interest or just aren't cut out for track driving.
I haven't got much track experience nor have I tracked my car. A fellow GT3 owner and a friend of mine tracks extensively. He always buys track insurance which covers him for the entire event and costs approx $800 for the GT3. He insists on getting adequate supplemental coverage... this from a guy who owns 5 bodyshops!
Old 12-28-2014, 11:59 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We basically have two opinions here, one.... take it on the track and enjoy the limits of it's potential because this car can, as many other's out there are not really designed for track use, or two.... don't track it but enjoy the pleasure of it's technology on the street. Another part of the satisfaction is just knowing what the car can do. Neither of the two sides of opinions are wrong. We can all at least agree 100% that this is one helluva a car.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:16 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Testosterone ? Absolutely not. I understand your reluctance to track. I felt the same way...if you participate in a quality DE event, you will have an instructor guiding you on the turnin and exit points of corners and you are not wheel to wheel racing. They are very specific rules regarding passing slower cars (point by's) and the risk of injury to you or your car is very remote as long as you listen to your instructor. After my first day on a track I said to myself...what took so long ? Nothing like hitting the straights going a buck 40 or 50 w/o any reprisals from cops. Going fast on the streets or highways is far more dangerous. Tracks are smooth as butter at high speeds...public highways, not so much. You can thank me for this advice later...
I have done many PCA DE events riding with instructor with everything from my under powered but wonderful 1966 912, to modern turbos at Birmingham and many in between. I don't consider DE the same as "tracking". And the TX hill country roads in my backyard are just as smooth as most tracks I've experienced with the exception of COTA. Again, different strokes for different folks. I'm comfortable exploiting less than 100% of my gt3 :-)
I also totally understand those that choose to track the car. This all started because I reject the notion that it's "stupid" to own a gt3 and not track it.

Last edited by mrsullivan; 12-28-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
A lot of assumptions in your post. I have done many PCA DE events riding with instructor with everything from my under powered but wonderful 1966 912, to modern turbos at Birmingham and many in between. I don't consider DE the same as "tracking". And the TX hill country roads in my backyard are just as smooth as most tracks I've experienced with the exception of COTA. Again, different strokes for different strokes. I'm comfortable exploiting less than 100% of my gt3 :-)
I also totally understand those that choose to track the car. This all started because I reject the notion that it's "stupid" to own a gt3 and not track it.
Sullivan, don't feel bad I just wash and wax mine then drive to star bucks really fast! Then I come home and wipe her down, and part it until the next weekend.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:30 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree , if some of you guys are not tracking this car you are missing out on the best of what the car offers. That last 25 percent is where a gt3 shines. If you are not going to track , for strictly street use there are many cars that are just as much fun or more viceral. I like the fact that gt3 can be flogged on the track all day DE ( with just pagids and Srf) and can still be driven home doing normal things plus weekend canyon runs. Its spectrum of capabilities is very broad. I think guys who havent tracked must try it once. I am pretty sure you will be blown away and find it a very safe enviornment if you follow rules and join good club like pca.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vf430
I think guys who havent tracked must try it once. I am pretty sure you will be blown away and find it a very safe enviornment if you follow rules and join good club like pca.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:33 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by vf430
I agree , if some of you guys are not tracking this car you are missing out on the best of what the car offers. If you are not going to track , for strictly street use there are many cars that are just as much fun or more viceral. I like the fact that gt3 can be flogged on the track all day DE ( with just pagids and Srf) and can still be driven home doing normal things plus weekend canyon runs. Its spectrum of capabilities is very broad. I think guys who havent tracked must try it once. I am pretty sure you will be blown away and find it a very safe enviornment if you follow rules and join good club like pca.
Name a more fun and visceral street car for $100-150k, new, with warranty, please... Most of us are not new to this...

But I understand and agree that this car is fully exploited only for track. It is clearly overkill for street. Me likes overkill

Last edited by mrsullivan; 12-28-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:42 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Please track the car. Even if you are a beginner, even if you are a pro driver.
Porsche went all out to build you a track weapon. If not get the 50th edition. Personally I'd skip Porsche all together.
If only track, a few options these days. Z28 Corvette if you fit and racecars. CUP, MONO and basically any racecar.

If only street big long list of cars i'd buy over the GT3; AMG, Aston, etc. etc.

Do 30+ track days a year and use it as a daily driver that is cool, sexy and prestigious with warranty there's only one option under 200k; the RS if slanted to advanced DE or GT3 slanted to occasional (beginner / intermediate DE.

The GT3RS might get some competition of the AMG GT S BS and the GT3 from the AMG GT S respectively. In theory used McLaren, Fiats, Vipers but who keeps them running on track?

Scrap out the prestigious part and the Mustang 350 and Camaro Z28, M3 are the alternatives....
+1
Old 12-28-2014, 12:43 PM
brass4321
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are people in Range Rover forums being shamed for never fording a river or going on a hill climb?
Old 12-28-2014, 12:53 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brass4321
Are people in Range Rover forums being shamed for never fording a river or going on a hill climb?
Yes.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Originally Posted by brass4321
C'mon dude..Lol. I see your point but Land Rover is a bit ridiculous with their marketing regarding the capabilities. 99% of people I see driving rovers are housewives and men in suits. 99.9% of them will feel adventurous driving them in 4 inches of snow. However, 98% of GT3 drivers bought one because they love sports cars and want to drive them accordingly. Whether it's track or spirited. We just have a debate if you're gonna use them to potential or not.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:00 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Name a more fun and visceral street car for $100-150k, new, with warranty, please...D
A loaded C2S 7-speed manual?
Old 12-28-2014, 01:08 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
A loaded C2S 7-speed manual?
That's a sissy car, no offense
No but seriously, you think it's more visceral than a gt3? Have you driven a gt3? I drove my 2011 gt3 for the last two years solely on the street. And I have driven many modern c2s and c4s. Great daily drivers. I assume yours was a daily driver. But no comparison as a fun weekend visceral sportscar.
This feels like it's really becoming quite the pissing contest so I'm out. Sorry to OP for the diversion.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:10 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 310 Likes on 163 Posts

There's a big difference between a 911S and a GT3 on the street. It's silly to say otherwise or that tracking a 991 GT3 at least once will somehow legitimize the other 99% of the driving you'll do in it - and possibly make you more intelligent for having done so. What hubris.

I've tracked numerous Porsches. I don't wear a patch for having done so either.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
C'mon dude..Lol. I see your point but Land Rover is a bit ridiculous with their marketing regarding the capabilities. 99% of people I see driving rovers are housewives and men in suits. 99.9% of them will feel adventurous driving them in 4 inches of snow. However, 98% of GT3 drivers bought one because they love sports cars and want to drive them accordingly. Whether it's track or spirited. We just have a debate if you're gonna use them to potential or not.
Ok, now we're getting personal. My wife & I also drive a RR, live in the hills, take it on picnics in the out back, and drive it in the snow. Use maybe 5/10 of its capabilities, but it's quieter & rides better than a S500. My gt3 will be enjoyed mostly on these same roads.

If there's anything to prove let's pull it out; the water is deep too!!!

Quick Reply: Anyone dislike the GT3 ?