Sponsored by:

Anyone dislike the GT3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 09:48 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone dislike the GT3 ?

There are many comments out there regarding the lack of a MT in the new GT3..... do you miss it? My question is [not sure too many owners will admit this tho], does anyone actually dislike the PDK S enough to say they will eventually get rid of it and buy another version of a stick GT3? Many out there seem to have previously experienced a stick GT3 and comparing would be fairly easy. As for me, never driven a GT3, I can't do a fair comparison. Would love to hear some honest feedback.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:51 AM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Honestly, I'm still astonished by the car. I only have 825 miles on it. It's a must to put an exhaust. I recommend the Sharkwerks. It's not overwhelming or obnoxious but when you get the RPMS over 5k, holy lord it's harmonious.

To the basis of your question...I think this car is simply sublime. I owned a 991C2S prior (first Porsche) and I was amazed. Prior to that, I had many ///M cars. Here is my basis opinion. To own a GT3 and never track it at all is just stupid and pointless. Get a C2S or Turbo. This car is designed for track and it will show you that when it is at its home. To not ever experience that is a sad waste. You will never experience the capabilities on public roads. However, all I can say is if the GT3 will be your only car I can see how the luster could wear off of always driving such a raw sports car. (for me at least) I have a M4 also so it's nice to get into a car that is a little quieter and have some more luxury amenities.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:58 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

I dislike the fact that I'm still waiting for mine.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

I'm in the middle of negotiating a trade for a new Vette. At the moment I want the Vette and 3 gold chains in trade. The dealer is only offering 2 gold chains and one can of Rogaine. So it looks like I'm going to be stuck driving this car for some time.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:30 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 10,000+ miles so far and still smile every time I get in it
Old 12-27-2014, 12:39 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
Honestly, I'm still astonished by the car. I only have 825 miles on it. It's a must to put an exhaust. I recommend the Sharkwerks. It's not overwhelming or obnoxious but when you get the RPMS over 5k, holy lord it's harmonious.

To the basis of your question...I think this car is simply sublime. I owned a 991C2S prior (first Porsche) and I was amazed. Prior to that, I had many ///M cars. Here is my basis opinion. To own a GT3 and never track it at all is just stupid and pointless. Get a C2S or Turbo. This car is designed for track and it will show you that when it is at its home. To not ever experience that is a sad waste. You will never experience the capabilities on public roads. However, all I can say is if the GT3 will be your only car I can see how the luster could wear off of always driving such a raw sports car. (for me at least) I have a M4 also so it's nice to get into a car that is a little quieter and have some more luxury amenities.
Respectfully, I disagree.

If I understand correctly, this is your 2nd Porsche. Having also owned M cars, Audi RS cars, Mercedes AMG cars, etc., my POV is that Porsche is a very different animal. I am sure that you would now agree. You probably learned this when you moved from M to Porsche. The 991 C2S is a great car. But the GT3 is special/different in small ways.

This will be my 6th 911, and with Porsche its the "small" nuanced differences that make for the experience and the love of the brand. I encourage you to go spend the day in a early air cooled Porsche, or go drive previous generation GT3s. They are definitely very at home on the track, but I reject the notion that they cannot be enjoyed carving canyons and hill roads on the weekends with a DIFFERENT/BETTER experience than a C2S. You absolutely can enjoy this type of car off the track if you have the right types of roads and I would hardly say its a waste or stupid to do so. For some (many, actually) of us, the car wont see much track duty, but we absolutely can tell and appreciate the subtle differences in driving this car vs. a more mainstream Porsche like a C2S, C4S, turbo, etc.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:20 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I'm in the middle of negotiating a trade for a new Vette. At the moment I want the Vette and 3 gold chains in trade. The dealer is only offering 2 gold chains and one can of Rogaine. So it looks like I'm going to be stuck driving this car for some time.
Alan, my dealer will throw in a complete, re-masted set of 'Miami Vice' episodes. Let me know if you want his number....
Old 12-27-2014, 01:24 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bronson7
There are many comments out there regarding the lack of a MT in the new GT3..... do you miss it? My question is [not sure too many owners will admit this tho], does anyone actually dislike the PDK S enough to say they will eventually get rid of it and buy another version of a stick GT3? Many out there seem to have previously experienced a stick GT3 and comparing would be fairly easy. As for me, never driven a GT3, I can't do a fair comparison. Would love to hear some honest feedback.
I've owned many, many Porsches, vintage, modern and in-between. Road are, race cars, and everything in between. Lightweight, heavy (a couple of Cayenne GTS's), earlier iterations of the GT3. I LOVE the PDK-S. I love the paddle shifters. I love the RWS. The ONLY thing I don't like about the car? As mentioned earlier in the thread, on the ROAD...it's IMPOSSIBLE to stretch it's legs. You can't even get CLOSE.

My first GT3, (a 996), on the 3'rd day of ownership, I spun it out in Malibu CYN., and ALMOST went right off the cliff. Seriously. Did a 180. I've had the 991 on the same roads, going faster, and never got anywhere NEAR losing traction....
It's just the very, very best car I've ever driven...
Old 12-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Is that deal still on the table? I'm checking flight schedules.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:30 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
Here is my basis opinion. To own a GT3 and never track it at all is just stupid and pointless.
I wouldn't call it stupid and pointless. However, I would say that you are missing out on part of the experience of a GT3 and what it has to offer if you never drive it on track at a decent, non novice pace.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:37 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Is that deal still on the table? I'm checking flight schedules.
Yes, as a matter of fact, if you move quickly, I'll even throw in a quick ride in this: (The 930, NOT the Lear which is NOT mine...)
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2014, 01:38 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

I've had the 991 on the same roads, going faster, and never got anywhere NEAR losing traction....
It's just the very, very best car I've ever driven...
I had mine out on some 180 switch backs and the car just digs in and does what you ask. It is an amazing package.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

I almost traded my 94 3.6 turbo for one of those once. The slope is an icon.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:50 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Respectfully, I disagree.

If I understand correctly, this is your 2nd Porsche. Having also owned M cars, Audi RS cars, Mercedes AMG cars, etc., my POV is that Porsche is a very different animal. I am sure that you would now agree. You probably learned this when you moved from M to Porsche. The 991 C2S is a great car. But the GT3 is special/different in small ways. I agree with this

This will be my 6th 911, and with Porsche its the "small" nuanced differences that make for the experience and the love of the brand. I encourage you to go spend the day in a early air cooled Porsche, or go drive previous generation GT3s. They are definitely very at home on the track, but I reject the notion that they cannot be enjoyed carving canyons and hill roads on the weekends with a DIFFERENT/BETTER experience than a C2S. You absolutely can enjoy this type of car off the track if you have the right types of roads and I would hardly say its a waste or stupid to do so. For some (many, actually) of us, the car wont see much track duty, but we absolutely can tell and appreciate the subtle differences in driving this car vs. a more mainstream Porsche like a C2S, C4S, turbo, etc.
I don't doubt your perspective and perhaps you have more experience than I owning more cars than I. However, to each is own and I respect your position but I'm sticking to my statement. Yes you can enjoy a GT3 on various backroads, but you will NEVER know the capability and full potential till you are on a track and apexing turns and so on. You cannot safely apex a turn on public roads without going into an oncoming lane.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:58 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

that's a different statement. one that I agree with...you can never exploit the full potential of any Porsche (especially GT3) on public roads... but you CAN experience noticeable difference vs the mainstream 911s, even on public roads (especially rural). See Andreas P. video

I have driven my Porsches on the track before, and may do that with this one. But for some, there isn't interest in having it be a dedicated or significantly dedicated track car. Physical ailments, time, risk tolerance, whatever. My only point, is that I don't agree its stupid and pointless to drive this car on the street vs. track. Some of us would say its stupid and pointless to buy a C2/C4S or GTS that approximates the cost of a GT3 for a lot less special experience

Quick Reply: Anyone dislike the GT3 ?