Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone dislike the GT3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 02:07 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I dislike the fact I'm still in the "break in" period....or I should say mid break in....we'll maybe cheating me than I should.....
Old 12-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Didn't like PDK on the 997S at all...hated it!
Liked the PDK on the 991S a lot.
Love the PDK-S on the GT3!
I do not miss MT AT ALL! Never thought I'd state that!
Old 12-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
that's a different statement. one that I agree with...you can never exploit the full potential of any Porsche (especially GT3) on public roads... but you CAN experience noticeable difference vs the mainstream 911s, even on public roads (especially rural). See Andreas P. video

I have driven my Porsches on the track before, and may do that with this one. But for some, there isn't interest in having it be a dedicated or significantly dedicated track car. Physical ailments, time, risk tolerance, whatever. My only point, is that I don't agree its stupid and pointless to drive this car on the street vs. track. Some of us would say its stupid and pointless to buy a C2/C4S or GTS that approximates the cost of a GT3 for a lot less special experience
I don't want to get it misconstrued. If my post sounded like you have to make it a track car or track it frequently, thats not what I'm saying. All I am saying is ya gotta do it at least once. To me, I just can't see how someone can buy a $150,000 car that was built for tracks and a high level of performance and the whole time you own it, you drive it at 50% of it's potential. In that case, I think its pointless and you should buy other Porsches.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:32 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,024 Likes on 5,240 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
There are many comments out there regarding the lack of a MT in the new GT3..... do you miss it? My question is [not sure too many owners will admit this tho], does anyone actually dislike the PDK S enough to say they will eventually get rid of it and buy another version of a stick GT3? Many out there seem to have previously experienced a stick GT3 and comparing would be fairly easy. As for me, never driven a GT3, I can't do a fair comparison. Would love to hear some honest feedback.
You're in the wrong forum.

All those who dislike the GT3 are over in the Z06 forum.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:35 PM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are many things I like about the 991 GT3 in terms of the driving experience and performance capability of the car, especially at the track. The only things I don't like about it are:

1) no option to add rear seats. I know it adds weight, but I would gladly take a likely tiny hit in performance/laptime (given that it's so damn fast already) to have the ability to take my kids as well to enjoy the car together. Right now, it's either driving by myself, or at most with one passenger. I can't take my wife and 2 kids with me. If I could, I would enjoy the car even more given more opportunity to drive it.

2) crappy environment to enjoy fine audio. The interior noise from the engine/exhaust drowns out the stereo. I'm just glad I didn't upgrade the stock stereo, because it would have been a waste of money. If you are an audiophile, just accept the fact that you will not be able to enjoy high quality music in the car, and just enjoy the engine/exhaust instead. Having said that, you really should not be surprised about this given the nature of this car. I gladly accept this compromise given the tremendous driving experience.

3) the very low front spoiler. Again this should not be a surprise for anybody. Although the front lift helps, it does not take away from some added stress when driving over speed bumps and steep inclines that would not exist if the car was not so low. Again, a compromise I am willing to take for the sake of downforce and aerodynamic efficiency at speed.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:44 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My only concern is driving at night on the freeways. The rear wing blocks the headlights of cars behind me and at night I can't see the silhouette of cars once the rear wing blocks the cars headlights. I have to be extra careful changing lanes.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:47 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
I don't want to get it misconstrued. If my post sounded like you have to make it a track car or track it frequently, thats not what I'm saying. All I am saying is ya gotta do it at least once. To me, I just can't see how someone can buy a $150,000 car that was built for tracks and a high level of performance and the whole time you own it, you drive it at 50% of it's potential. In that case, I think its pointless and you should buy other Porsches.
Again, agree to disagree. A special car that was designed for the track is also special on the street, and a much better experience than the other mainstream Porsches, even if not used to its full potential. Someone that can afford a $150k car that will be on track often, could also afford a $150k car for weekend joy rides only (arguably more so because it would depreciate less). But we are a bit off topic, sorry about the diversion. I understand the point you are making.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:15 PM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Skuplist, check out the Crawford Composites Wing:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...g-for-gt3.html
Old 12-27-2014, 04:01 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I dislike the fact that I'm still waiting for mine.
I'm still playing the waiting game myself.

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I have 10,000+ miles so far and still smile every time I get in it
I have zero miles so far and still have a smile when I'm on RL.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You're in the wrong forum.
All those who dislike the GT3 are over in the Z06 forum.
You won't ever find me there....lol

Originally Posted by skuplist
My only concern is driving at night on the freeways. The rear wing blocks the headlights of cars behind me and at night I can't see the silhouette of cars once the rear wing blocks the cars headlights. I have to be extra careful changing lanes.
Makes a lot of sense.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:36 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Again, agree to disagree. A special car that was designed for the track is also special on the street, and a much better experience than the other mainstream Porsches, even if not used to its full potential. Someone that can afford a $150k car that will be on track often, could also afford a $150k car for weekend joy rides only (arguably more so because it would depreciate less). But we are a bit off topic, sorry about the diversion. I understand the point you are making.
Well either way, enjoy in good health my friend.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:43 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mentioned this earlier in another thread. I hate the fact u cant throw it in N without giong through D ... they dropped the ball on switching to N on paddles and "stick". My R8 has one push on stick to get into N and back to gear.. and when u pressed both paddles it will go to N without you having to hold them down like the gt3 ... in the R8 can click both paddles for N then coast and click one to get back to original gear...
Old 12-27-2014, 06:27 PM
LitRbl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can drive it to 100% of it's potential if you know the right roads and the right time. There are restrictions on race tracks that don't exist on those roads. The saying "The world is my race track" is perfect.

Also by 100% I do not mean high speeds but rather the car's ability. The GT3 and RS were built for the road. The Cup car is built for the track.

Season's greetings anyway
Old 12-27-2014, 06:41 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nonsense.

It's a given that a GT3 or any (true) GT Porsche (GT3,2,RS) will be more at home on the track. However, that does not mean these cars must be tracked to appreciate them.

You're on a slippery slope as a base 911 cannot be truely appreciated on the street either.

One time on a track will not be enough to appreciate any tracked car as seat time makes for more enjoyment.

To say that enthusiasts are "stupid" if they don't track a GT3 is pot calling the kettle black.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:44 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LitRbl
You can drive it to 100% of it's potential if you know the right roads and the right time. There are restrictions on race tracks that don't exist on those roads. The saying "The world is my race track" is perfect.

Also by 100% I do not mean high speeds but rather the car's ability. The GT3 and RS were built for the road. The Cup car is built for the track.

Season's greetings anyway
+ a million...
Old 12-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm just shy of 2K miles on mine and it remains the "Giggle Machine" I thought it was. My first track day with this car is 1/31 and I have a feeling I may actually like it more than I do now. In regards to a MT, At first I absolutely missed it, then I drove about 50 miles, and this car is made for the PDK. With that said, I still enjoy driving a MT and will absolutely still have MT track cars. But this one, I honestly could not imagine with a MT. Just MHO.

Quick Reply: Anyone dislike the GT3 ?