Anyone dislike the GT3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 06:59 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Nonsense.

It's a given that a GT3 or any (true) GT Porsche (GT3,2,RS) will be more at home on the track. However, that does not mean these cars must be tracked to appreciate them.

You're on a slippery slope as a base 911 cannot be truely appreciated on the street either.

One time on a track will not be enough to appreciate any tracked car as seat time makes for more enjoyment.

To say that enthusiasts are "stupid" if they don't track a GT3 is pot calling the kettle black.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I wonder if everyone who disagrees with me has not and will not track their GT3 once so they are trying to justify it. I had a 991S and took that on the track. It was awesome. I can see some buyers using other Porsche models for touring style driving. The GT3 is a different car and it's designed for the track, there is no getting around it. So therefore I stick to my opinion to those who buy a GT3 and NEVER track not even once is stupid or foolish(not that they are, just the concept). Thats just me. Can you still enjoy the fruits of a GT3 on public roads, yes. You can have fun on some on and exit ramps, you can open it up on the highway, you can weave in and out traffic if you so choose...But you CANNOT, heat your tires up to temp and pull considerable G in turns, apex properly, and push the car to potentials it was primarily designed for. Sorry that is a fact. I don't mean to bash those who want to buy them and enjoy them to what they consider nirvana. I'm just saying, they should expand their horizons and track it once. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, I hope everyone enjoys them safely. I'm just giving an opinion, after all it's a forum.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Porsche997s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dislike not bring able to drive it more !!!
Old 12-27-2014, 07:15 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 206 Posts

The thing about GT3's is that they really come together incredibly on the track. If you don't experience it, you're short changing yourself and really missing out on the best part of these cars.

Having said that, I don't think this works for track novices. The experience on track for a novice is probably roughly the same between a brand new GT3 and a rental mustang. There's just too much new stuff going on to appreciate the differences between one car and the next.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^^
+100
Old 12-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May not be the correct forum but thought I would ask in this one.

Are you driving your GT3 mostly with the Paddles? or mostly putting it in automatic and letting the PDK determine shift intervals?

Thanks.

Personally, I always use the Paddles.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:26 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fadi1
^^^^^^
+100
+200... Not experiencing the GT3 on the track means you have short changed your fun factor with the car.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:57 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Clocked
May not be the correct forum but thought I would ask in this one.

Are you driving your GT3 mostly with the Paddles? or mostly putting it in automatic and letting the PDK determine shift intervals?

Thanks.

Personally, I always use the Paddles.
100% Paddles street
100% Paddles 2 track days at Sebring
Once I am more familiar with the car and its traction threshold on track will explore PKDS sport mode on track
Old 12-27-2014, 08:18 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I think the GT3 is a very good overall package, I like it, but a few things I don't like:
1) RWS - never liked it on the TTS and would rather not have it
2) PDKS - sure it's better than the regular PDK setup, but I prefer the custom config on my Cayman. I suspect it's a software change the marketing department pushed heavily.
3) LWBs being only a 50% solution was disappointing
Old 12-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
2) PDKS - sure it's better than the regular PDK setup, but I prefer the custom config on my Cayman. I suspect it's a software change the marketing department pushed heavily.
You have custom PDK on your cayman? Details please.

Last edited by Drifting; 12-27-2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: .
Old 12-27-2014, 08:52 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 310 Likes on 163 Posts

RE: Free advice on enjoying and/or justifying the ownership of a GT3: Most, and I mean probably 98%, of all GT3 miles will be driven on the street. Whether you track it or not, it's extravagant if you're not enjoying it on the street.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

I bought the GT3 mainly for track use, and wouldn't consider buying one for street-only use - for that, 997 or prior gen 911 is the way to go.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:35 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
You have custom PDK on your cayman? Details please.
It's the software side that is custom and the paddles of course. In Sports mode the Cayman is setup pretty similar to the way Sports mode works in the GT3. In Sports Plus it's really setup for manual shifting, but throttle response feels faster than the GT3, the gears won't shift unless it bounces off the rev limiter 3 (or maybe it's 4) times. I couldn't comment on what it does under braking as I'm always shifting myself. I don't notice any difference in shifting speed between the 2 either, maybe the GT3 is faster, but I think both are so fast it's hard to tell.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Please track the car. Even if you are a beginner, even if you are a pro driver.
Porsche went all out to build you a track weapon. If not get the 50th edition. Personally I'd skip Porsche all together.
If only track, a few options these days. Z28 Corvette if you fit and racecars. CUP, MONO and basically any racecar.

If only street big long list of cars i'd buy over the GT3; AMG, Aston, etc. etc.

Do 30+ track days a year and use it as a daily driver that is cool, sexy and prestigious with warranty there's only one option under 200k; the RS if slanted to advanced DE or GT3 slanted to occasional (beginner / intermediate DE.

The GT3RS might get some competition of the AMG GT S BS and the GT3 from the AMG GT S respectively. In theory used McLaren, Fiats, Vipers but who keeps them running on track?

Scrap out the prestigious part and the Mustang 350 and Camaro Z28, M3 are the alternatives....

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 12-27-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:30 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
It's the software side that is custom and the paddles of course. In Sports mode the Cayman is setup pretty similar to the way Sports mode works in the GT3. In Sports Plus it's really setup for manual shifting, but throttle response feels faster than the GT3, the gears won't shift unless it bounces off the rev limiter 3 (or maybe it's 4) times. I couldn't comment on what it does under braking as I'm always shifting myself. I don't notice any difference in shifting speed between the 2 either, maybe the GT3 is faster, but I think both are so fast it's hard to tell.
Who did this work for you? I'd love to have software changes done to my PDK Boxster if this would essentially give me PDK-S for my 987.2 Boxster.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
The thing about GT3's is that they really come together incredibly on the track. If you don't experience it, you're short changing yourself and really missing out on the best part of these cars.
Thats all I'm trying to say. Good for whoever is able to own one of these amazing cars, but if you do own one, you really gotta take it on a track. Not to compete, just to drive...really drive.

Quick Reply: Anyone dislike the GT3 ?