Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Houston we have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 06:08 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Need chrono? Total BS! . I picked up my car today. On same ship as OP's car. No chrono. PDK Sport button IS there!!
Old 12-17-2014, 06:08 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I'm guessing they will come around and admit their mistake.
Of course they will, how can they avoid it. But it really brings up a huge problem Porsche has. Their configuration models offer a wide variety for differentiation when building a car to order. HOWEVER, NOBODY seems to really understand what each of the configuration options means. Trying to ask "corporate experts" only contributes to muddying the understanding. On top of that the configuration pictures and information on line are also NOT CORRECT. So the customer is really left-out to figure it out on their own and to eventually be disappointed in a process and product that should delight instead of frustrate!!! Change in LWB seats and extended leather dash are very recent examples. If a customer is picky enough to spend hours pouring through the options and ordering their own "personal" car exactly the way they want, they will have specific expectations as to what they will receive. There are OCD "idiots" like myself that agonize for hours about what finish to make the dash trim, what will the seats look like, what color to make the wheels, do I want a luggage net, etc., etc., etc. Frankly part of the fun/experience for me is the Porsche configurator, it is a GREAT tool. But Porsche needs to be more exact about the representation of the options and standard equipment they offer and they need to have their personnel trained to know exactly what their product is.

Last edited by GregJGT3; 12-17-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:14 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

No affiliation but the OP did indicate Nancy believes him that it's suppose to be there. It sounds like she is trying to find a way to prove it to PCNA by getting vin's.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:25 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I'm guessing they will come around and admit their mistake.
They will, as there is no other answer but that. In the meantime, the OP may always wonder what else did/did not get put on his car. Did it have the correct assembly process? I know one would assume......but I think I would be comparing it to another's GT3.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:31 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

GREGJGT3 you said it. Thanks
Old 12-17-2014, 09:31 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
Of course they will, how can they avoid it. But it really brings up a huge problem Porsche has. Their configuration models offer a wide variety for differentiation when building a car to order. HOWEVER, NOBODY seems to really understand what each of the configuration options means. Trying to ask "corporate experts" only contributes to muddying the understanding. On top of that the configuration pictures and information on line are also NOT CORRECT. So the customer is really left-out to figure it out on their own and to eventually be disappointed in a process and product that should delight instead of frustrate!!! Change in LWB seats and extended leather dash are very recent examples. If a customer is picky enough to spend hours pouring through the options and ordering their own "personal" car exactly the way they want, they will have specific expectations as to what they will receive. There are OCD "idiots" like myself that agonize for hours about what finish to make the dash trim, what will the seats look like, what color to make the wheels, do I want a luggage net, etc., etc., etc. Frankly part of the fun/experience for me is the Porsche configurator, it is a GREAT tool. But Porsche needs to be more exact about the representation of the options and standard equipment they offer and they need to have their personnel trained to know exactly what their product is.

Ditto 1000%, especially the poor configurator on the LWB's.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:43 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Maybe time for someone at PCNA to spend a bit more time at Rennlist???? They might learn something!!!!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:45 PM
dadams1598
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyone on this forum knows way more about these cars than the Dealer which is sad. I do get that we are all super detailed and excited more than the SA's about Porsche cars but they do need better product training. My dealer did acknowledge later today that the PDK Sport button should be there and they have escalated up the chain with PCNA and will give me an update daily. This has somewhat spoiled my excitement of taking delivery which is supposed to be special. After taking 6 months to decide on spending the money, then getting an allocation, waiting 90 days for the car to arrive and know this. I do hope Porsche does something to one get it installed and two to compensate me for the grief.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:57 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

They won't compensate you.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:01 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately sales staff are hired and have little training. The salesman that sold me my car had worked at Porsche for all of 2 months, but was somewhat knowledgeable of the car at delivery.

I always find that sales staff knows less about their cars that I do, but I am interested. They should be too but sadly aren't. Will say that I bought mine not from my favored dealer because they had a car I wanted coming in, but will have it serviced at my dealer.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:11 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Any resolution to the problem?

they should just replace the whole switch panel with a new one!
Old 12-19-2014, 12:32 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dadams1598
Everyone on this forum knows way more about these cars than the Dealer which is sad. I do get that we are all super detailed and excited more than the SA's about Porsche cars but they do need better product training. My dealer did acknowledge later today that the PDK Sport button should be there and they have escalated up the chain with PCNA and will give me an update daily. This has somewhat spoiled my excitement of taking delivery which is supposed to be special. After taking 6 months to decide on spending the money, then getting an allocation, waiting 90 days for the car to arrive and know this. I do hope Porsche does something to one get it installed and two to compensate me for the grief.
Originally Posted by MJones
Any resolution to the problem?

they should just replace the whole switch panel with a new one!
Reading this thread with interest ... and empathy for dadams.

Things sometimes get messed up, unfortunate but it does happen. But not admitting the error and perhaps even worse, not knowing the product are inexcusable.

I agree with MJones too, I'd think the best way is to replace the center console switch panel. But it probably has to come from Germany so potential for even further delay is just more pain and suffering. Really too bad it happened. Optimistically I believe it will get sorted out and corrected. Hang in there dadams.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:42 PM
dadams1598
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Taking car to Dealer on Saturday and they are going to pull the console to see if wire there and if so will order switch and install. If not they have to consult with Porsche on solution. My Dealer talked to their PCNA Rep and said lets just order him a new car if switch can't be added and was told all allocations are sold and production winding down real fast so no car to give me. I will keep you Guy's posted after Saturday.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dadams1598
Taking car to Dealer on Saturday and they are going to pull the console to see if wire there and if so will order switch and install. If not they have to consult with Porsche on solution. My Dealer talked to their PCNA Rep and said lets just order him a new car if switch can't be added and was told all allocations are sold and production winding down real fast so no car to give me. I will keep you Guy's posted after Saturday.
I received info from a very knowledgeable source that it's no big deal to change the center console and that no changes in the wiring harness are required, just a PIWIS to set the coding properly. PM sent yesterday.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:02 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I received info from a very knowledgeable source that it's no big deal to change the center console and that no changes in the wiring harness are required, just a PIWIS to set the coding properly. PM sent yesterday.
Thank god for that. Good detective work Mike. It would be a nightmare to change a harness and that is not a car you want that's for sure. Looks like the resolution should be straightforward.

Quick Reply: Houston we have a problem