Sponsored by:

Houston we have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:06 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Sorry, but the methods you talk about are dying with your generation, please take no offense.
Eh...sonny......What's that you say???.... Can't hear you...got my hearing aid on the fritz...

Point taken. Porsche has been amazing , however as you point out, time/change waits for no one. I guess all I was trying to say is that it's free to be nice and was surprised by the vitriolic tone so quickly on a matter so small. I expect Mr Adams would've recieved a personal solution that would've surprised him and the rest of us.
Guess I should be clear also that I don't see anything wrong with the OP at all, just surprised by the responses and wanted to share my experience.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:10 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

I guess I still think that a personal relationship matters. It has worked well for me as well. But I am an old guy too, 59. My dealer bends over backwards to provide excellent solutions to any problems and most of them are young.

I don't think blogs, forums or tweets will ever replace personal relationships and allowing people a chance to fix a problem.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:16 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Porsche is still a good company, and they've taken good care of me. But when a car this expensive, with this large a profit margin, has this kind of bizarre and obvious problem, it does raise questions about their quality control. My car is scheduled to arrive in a few weeks, and it's unfortunate that my confidence that the car will be 'perfect' has been reduced.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:17 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
I don't doubt you have been well "rewarded" for their "mistakes", but in this case posting about it to understand the issue better is what this forum is about. I agree there is always banter that suggests you should do this or that action to Porsche, but as far as I could see the OP took input from the forum to educate themselves to the issue and is working with the dealer to resolve the issue. This should not be threatening to Porsche or their Dealer, but of course is "embarrassing" to a degree. This is how things are done in the information age and yes sometimes it is messy, but no corporation can expect customers to behave differently. Sorry, but the methods you talk about are dying with your generation, please take no offense.

Successful people will always rely on the methods that Glen mentions whether they are 15,35, or 85. It has nothing to do with generational differences but rather the wisdom to know when to leverage external pressure.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:20 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Successful people will always rely on the methods that Glen mentions whether they are 15,35, or 85. It has nothing to do with generational differences but rather the wisdom to know when to leverage external pressure.
I respectfully disagree.....I would consider myself somewhat successful and would have done the same thing the OP did.....I am 42 years old.....
Old 12-21-2014, 10:51 AM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Chris,
Thank You.
Merry Christmas!
Love, prayers and blessings sent to You and those You love.
Hope to see you this year. Perhaps a codrive is in order??
Lyb,
G
Old 12-21-2014, 10:56 AM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
I respectfully disagree.....I would consider myself somewhat successful and would have done the same thing the OP did.....I am 42 years old.....
Understood and OP didn't do anything many wouldn't do, no harm, no foul.
Freedom of speech/choice are to be respected and defended...
Something even Sony may now agree with...
Old 12-21-2014, 10:59 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do believe Porsche is still a solid marquee player in the sports automotive world, but that does not mean that they are not human. Every individual will take on a certain situation, no matter what it is on how comfortable they feel at the time. What the OP did, was ask for other's feelings and opinions on what should/could be done to resolve his matter. At the end, not speaking for him, but I think he felt much more confident on doing what he did with PCNA and his dealer. I'm happy for him that this problem will be resolved some what painlessly. I guess what I'm trying to say is to each his/her own on how they tackle a unique problem. I too am in my mid 50's and have learned soooooo much from this forum and now have that much more knowledge prior to me getting my GT3. Carry on.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:08 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

"And the oldest members of the crowd were the first to drop their stones and walk away"
And that is how the new regime took over. They picked up the stones and nailed the old guys.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Interesting chatter on the information age, and dealer relationships. I do think the information age has worsened the dealer relationships. I disagree with the position that a car being expensive is immune to human errors. My buddy just returned his 339k MAC because of a host of flaws in the car, but the responce was key as they replace the car with an apology. No law suits, nor hate mail on the Internet.

The dealer is nothing more than the middle guy, and honestly most of us on the board actually know more then the dealer became we are compulsive with our car products.

Flaws in cars have always been around, but with social media it's all thrown on the net and we make comments. The more complicated cars become you will see issues, and it's all about recovery time how it's handled. At the end of the day it's a car produced in a factory, and people screw up on Mondays and Fridays for obvious reasons.

Not letting Porsche off the hook, but let them fix it as we all have flaws in our businesses. The squeaky wheel normally gets the worse service, and that's a fact. Because we have expensive toys in the end we are still people which makes us no worse or better than the next guy. Enjoy your cars.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:36 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I think it's hard to come on here and judge someone's approach. I have a very good relationship with my dealer and they're always my first point of call. They'll fix the situation first and then deal with their REP/PCNA.

No risk or cost to me, they even put clear LED side markers and offered me a choice of the MPSC2 or Dunlops with the car. They want to keep customers happy and they know I live 5 miles away from a competing dealer.

I know a number of people aren't that fortunate, so if they seek advice/support on the forum, so be it. It's their car, their money and I don't think its our place to judge and call wrong. If you don't like their approach, don't post or read their thread.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:43 AM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every situation is different. Some responses work better in some situations than in others. While being low key and friendly works a lot--it sometimes results in the other side perceiving that as weakness. At the point where someone at Porsche (primarily the dealer I guess) was contending that OP should only get the PDK Sport button with the Chrono option, my approach would have definitely ratcheted up.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:10 PM
dadams1598
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Glen I do understand your perspective and have owned two other Porsche's prior which is why I came back to Porsche. They make an awesome product and their quality is far above most manufactures. I did call PCNA immediately and was told to have Dealer resolve issue and went to the forum to validate that this option is standard on GT3.

Maybe this is a good learning experience for Porsche on how to improve their customer experience when mistakes like this happen.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:22 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Eh...sonny......What's that you say???.... Can't hear you...got my hearing aid on the fritz...

Point taken. Porsche has been amazing , however as you point out, time/change waits for no one. I guess all I was trying to say is that it's free to be nice and was surprised by the vitriolic tone so quickly on a matter so small. I expect Mr Adams would've recieved a personal solution that would've surprised him and the rest of us.
Guess I should be clear also that I don't see anything wrong with the OP at all, just surprised by the responses and wanted to share my experience.
Well, I'm no spring chicken myself! But, I am a manufacturer and our customers do the same thing as the OP. They post, blog, tweet and YouTube anything and everything. As a manufacturer we have to deal with it as best we can. The worst situation is when there is only the initial problem posted, not the resolution or the happy solution at the end. These unhappy postings sometimes haunt you and it is difficult to remove the stigma. This is why there is such an emphasis on delivered quality and satisfaction, the downsides are much larger than ever.

Now, as to personal rules and wisdom- I live by the golden rule but suffer no fools, so if I know the person is honest and trying on my behalf mistakes are forgiven. OTH, if obvious lies or deceit- no quarter is given. A story told by a business consultant about how to deal nicely with people has always stuck with me, "Be nice to people, unless you want your checked bags to go to Japan", in other words don't berate or belittle people that are trying to help you because they can just as easily make your lives miserable.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:24 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 159 Posts

edited and deleted

Quick Reply: Houston we have a problem