Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Noise - Does your GT3 sound like this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by UAEGT3
Well guys the LPS2 (which is a higher quality WD40........thanks A36pilot) did the trick. I didnt like the idea of disassembling the front suspension to grease up the areas needed to get rid of the WOOO sound. So I sprayed both areas (upper and lower contact points) with LPS2 and turned the wheel a few times max right to max left to allow the lubricant to sneak in. Left it to soak in for a few hrs then drove the car, no more WOOO sound.
You dont even need to take the wheel off nor you need a lift, just turned the wheel all the way out to see the areas needing attention, then turn the opposite way to access the passenger side.

I think this is the quickest fix for this issue.
Thanks, I will definitely try that!
Old 12-09-2014, 01:39 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your welcome

I actually used a lift.....the cars own lift system just to give me a tad bit more clearance.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:05 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by UAEGT3
Well guys the LPS2 (which is a higher quality WD40........thanks A36pilot) did the trick. I didnt like the idea of disassembling the front suspension to grease up the areas needed to get rid of the WOOO sound. So I sprayed both areas (upper and lower contact points) with LPS2 and turned the wheel a few times max right to max left to allow the lubricant to sneak in. Left it to soak in for a few hrs then drove the car, no more WOOO sound.
You dont even need to take the wheel off nor you need a lift, just turned the wheel all the way out to see the areas needing attention, then turn the opposite way to access the passenger side.

I think this is the quickest fix for this issue.
This seems like a MUCH better idea than removing the strut and compromising the alignment.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:08 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Mech33
This seems like a MUCH better idea than removing the strut and compromising the alignment.
Exactly, taking things apart, redoing the alignment not having the car for a day or two...........the less fiddling around the better
Old 12-10-2014, 11:43 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Message to a Moderator,

I think this thread should be a sticky since more are getting their cars and its starting to be a common seen that more are experiencing this WOOOO sound. The threads keeps on falling back in the thread page count, yet the issue is quite common.

As mentioned here there are 2 fixes, there is a dealership somewhat extensive fix then there is the easy lubricant home spray fix.

Cheers
Old 05-30-2015, 10:51 PM
nicolasr
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I have the same problem. I noticed the noise appears when the car takes contact with water. I'm not sure if it's a good idea lube it. There is any response from Porsche AG to this issue? Thanks. Best Regards
Old 06-14-2015, 05:52 PM
terrybGT3MR
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 9 Posts

I've just experienced this today too. Happened after I washed the car, which kind of makes sense if it's a lubrication issue. I'll mention it to my dealer and lube it myself
Old 06-14-2015, 05:54 PM
terrybGT3MR
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 9 Posts

I also agree that this should be made sticky - easy for others to find - although I found this thread on a good old Google search
Old 06-14-2015, 08:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Has anyone with a non lift car experienced this yet out of interest?
Old 07-17-2015, 09:50 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,981 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Dropped my car off at Walters this morning (my car doesn't have the lift). I only makes the noise when going slow and turning sharp right. Had the shop foreman hop in the car with me so I could have him hear the noise. Also emailed my SA a link to this thread to help them out. Should get the car back early next week.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

When my camber was adjusted I had the dealer lubricate the spring perches and top joints. The noise was better for a while but then came back. There's another thread that showed up recently where there was a recommendation from Porsche to change out a number of front suspension parts to cure the problem (see post #14). That thread is linked below and perhaps should be merged with this one if we're going to make a sticky.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...t=part+numbers

I'm inclined personally to leave well enough alone unless the noise becomes a lot worse and more persistent.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:41 PM
rc512002
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No noise since they replaced the parts so I think all is well now.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:50 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,981 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by rc512002
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
When my camber was adjusted I had the dealer lubricate the spring perches and top joints. The noise was better for a while but then came back. There's another thread that showed up recently where there was a recommendation from Porsche to change out a number of front suspension parts to cure the problem (see post #14). That thread is linked below and perhaps should be merged with this one if we're going to make a sticky.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...t=part+numbers

Sent my SA a link to that thread as well. Thanks for including that.

I'm inclined personally to leave well enough alone unless the noise becomes a lot worse and more persistent.
Good to konw.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:34 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I hope it's been fixed. My car didn't make the noise when new; it showed up after a few months. It will be interesting to see what happens with yours down the road as the new parts wear in. Please keep us updated if anything changes.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:54 AM
NMM991
Racer

8 weeks ago, my dealer replaced what they called "concave washers" at the top of the spring mount, a two day job with realignment, etc. Noise went away for about 3 weeks and now I hear it every now and then, but not as bad as the original sound. Easy to ignore because I now know what it is and it's very infrequently.

Quick Reply: Steering Noise - Does your GT3 sound like this?