Sponsored by:

Finally got my 2014 GT3 Black

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 11:43 PM
mikemiaos
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got my 2014 GT3 Black

I finally got my GT3 yesterday, haven't got a chance to drive it extensively, but so far I am 99.9% happy with it and now I am even more sure that I made the right decision to trade my 991 Turbo S for the GT3. It's gonna be the perfect short distance DD for me.

First Impressions On Road:
- better looking than TTS, more aggressive, agile and sporty. Not like the TTS, which looks fat in some degrees. the GT3 looks good in any degrees.
- I love the engine sound, wow, it's addictive, especially when it's revving in the 1st gear. Interestedly, I think with sport exhaust off, it sounds better, it's more clear and not too noisy.
- Suspension is not stiff in normal mode, comfortable enough for short distance trip
- This PDK is not very comfortable in 1st and 2nd gears, I feel it jiggles a lot between gears. I guess it's something they have to scarify in order to achieve 9K rpm, so I am ok with it.

This GT3 is cancelled by someone others, and I took it, luckily I am ok with 95% of the options he got.

Here's the options of my car:
- solid black exterior
- full-leather interior with silver stitching, silver seat belts
- front axel lift
- 18 way seats (useless for me without memory functions)
- PDLS in black (I would get LED, but this is not bad, more aggressive)
- leather steering wheel (prefer the alcantara one)
- white instrument dials and sport chrono clock (very nice)
- interior trim and centre console painted to exterior color
- and other small ones.

Initially, I was worried about the painted trim, but when I saw the car in person, I was happy with it. It looks much better than the standard aluminium trim, and it's almost as nice as the carbon fibre one.

Some pics, will try to add more tomorrow:

Some pics of my sold TTS

Last edited by mikemiaos; 10-26-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:52 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the write up, 2 questions

1 - just so I understand on the axle lift. are you saying you would prefer that everytime it goes down below a certain speed it would automatically come on? you wouldn't prefer to be able to turn it on and off, only when you need it? just trying to understand.

2 - can you compare your PCCB on the TTS to the iron brakes on the GT3. Just curious from someone that had the PCCB and going the different direction. not sure if you deliberately specd without?

ps. any interior pics? I would love to see the painted trim and silver belts on your GT3.

thanks!
Old 10-26-2014, 12:00 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Well congratulations and good luck. I hope you like it. I too am wondering if I made the right choice with front axle kit at 3500 or 4000 or whatever it was. I can't help but wonder how cold it is there with your windows so fogged up ( or maybe you slept in it last night
Old 10-26-2014, 12:03 AM
mikemiaos
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Thanks for the write up, 2 questions

1 - just so I understand on the axle lift. are you saying you would prefer that everytime it goes down below a certain speed it would automatically come on? you wouldn't prefer to be able to turn it on and off, only when you need it? just trying to understand.

2 - can you compare your PCCB on the TTS to the iron brakes on the GT3. Just curious from someone that had the PCCB and going the different direction. not sure if you deliberately specd without?

ps. any interior pics? I would love to see the painted trim and silver belts on your GT3.

thanks!

1. It doesn't turn on and off multiple times when the speed changes. After you turn it on, when you are faster than 60km/h, the lift will be off and then it will never turn on back ever. You will have to turn it on manually next time.

2. The difference of the braking power is not that much to me, I can feel PCCB is more powerful, but not that much. I wanna track the car a lot, so PCCB is definitely not for me.

3. I will add more interior pictures tomorrow
Old 10-26-2014, 12:06 AM
mikemiaos
Instructor

Originally Posted by redlightrich
Well congratulations and good luck. I hope you like it. I too am wondering if I made the right choice with front axle kit at 3500 or 4000 or whatever it was. I can't help but wonder how cold it is there with your windows so fogged up ( or maybe you slept in it last night
Thanks. I haven't driven on bumpy roads or big slopes, so I am not completely sure about the lift.

I took that pictures in the morning, that's why the windows' fogged up
Old 10-26-2014, 12:15 AM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Congratulations on your new GT3.

With regards to the front axle lift, I don't think it makes sense to have the system automatically raise the car once you get below 60km/h, even though you turned it on initially. The default is that the car is driven in the lowered position so it should never lift by itself.

If you need to lift it, you manually push the button. This is especially relevant if the car is driven in a sporty manner or on a track. You wouldn't want the car to suddenly lift when slowing down for a tight corner on the streets or track.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:33 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Congratulations on your new GT3.

With regards to the front axle lift, I don't think it makes sense to have the system automatically raise the car once you get below 60km/h, even though you turned it on initially. The default is that the car is driven in the lowered position so it should never lift by itself.

If you need to lift it, you manually push the button. This is especially relevant if the car is driven in a sporty manner or on a track. You wouldn't want the car to suddenly lift when slowing down for a tight corner on the streets or track.
+1 agree with this, still wasn't really tracking with the comments, you would never want to do anything but manual, except you would want an override at higher speeds in case you forget to push it back off...
Old 10-26-2014, 12:45 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I think you may have misunderstood the purpose of the lift option. It's not a driving mode for comfort at low speeds. It's only meant to give you temporary extra clearance when trying to clear a ramp, curb, or driveway. It's not meant to be driven while up.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:55 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car looks great. Badass black.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:05 AM
mikemiaos
Instructor

For the lift, I am not talking about the comfortability. My initial goal of having the lift is to drive a bit faster on bumpy road.
For example, in the place I live, there're streets with speed bumpers every hundreds of metres. It's easy to reach 60km/h between the bumpers, so I cannot keep the lift on, and I will have to reduce the speed to very low before every bumpers. On my TTS, it's not a problem to pass bumpers fast with the lip closed.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:12 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemiaos
For the lift, I am not talking about the comfortability. My initial goal of having the lift is to drive a bit faster on bumpy road.
For example, in the place I live, there're streets with speed bumpers every hundreds of metres. It's easy to reach 60km/h between the bumpers, so I cannot keep the lift on, and I will have to reduce the speed to very low before every bumpers. On my TTS, it's not a problem to pass bumpers fast with the lip closed.
Got it, but that's still not what the lift option was designed for. It's only to get you over curbs, driveways, ramps, etc. It's not meant to be driven while raised.

BTW, congrats on the car!
Old 10-26-2014, 01:15 AM
mikemiaos
Instructor

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Got it, but that's still not what the lift option was designed for. It's only to get you over curbs, driveways, ramps, etc. It's not meant to be driven while raised.

BTW, congrats on the car!
Thanks! Yea, you guy are correct, that's what it's designed for, should be the same for other supercar makers. This means with GT3 we all have to be careful and slow when driving on bumpy roads.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:18 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by redlightrich
I can't help but wonder how cold it is there with your windows so fogged up ( or maybe you slept in it last night
Originally Posted by mikemiaos
I took that pictures in the morning, that's why the windows' fogged up
Apparently, Mr. Miaos left his brand new gt3 outside all night! Oh, the horror!
But he probably needs the garage for his cats! Some owners seem to have different priorities in the 'Great White North'...as hard as we might find that to fathom!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images    
Old 10-26-2014, 01:37 AM
Lebo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mike , Congratulations on your GT3 . I have also ordered black coming in January and also have a Turbo S ( not a 991 , a 997 ) . Would appreciate your feedback on differences the car makes for you in comparison to the TTS .
Good Luck with your new toy
Old 10-26-2014, 01:40 AM
mikemiaos
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z356
Apparently, Mr. Miaos left his brand new gt3 outside all night! Oh, the horror!
But he probably needs the garage for his cats! Some owners seem to have different priorities in the 'Great White North'...as hard as we might find that to fathom!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Haha, that's funny! thanks for the picture, I love it
My baby daughter was asleep when I got home yesterday, so I had to leave it outside

Quick Reply: Finally got my 2014 GT3 Black