Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To lift or not to lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 03:25 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The lift is quick. I use it everyday. Definitely improves the DD use. To me it was a no brainer. This car is low....very low!
Old 10-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zucc
I think is more the case of cost vs benefit. Many do not want to buy something if they don't think that benefit justifies the cost. Nothing to do with if they can afford it. I would take the painted key if was free, but I'm not willing to pay $395 for it.
Cost vs benefit. Exactly my point.

If you can't afford it, to lift or not is moot.

The lift has utility. The paint on your key doesn't.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:46 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 310 Likes on 163 Posts

Positioning the lift as an insurance policy is apt. Plus, the lift is going to have resale value.

For those minding the budget, you can fund half the cost of the lift by deleting the dash wart (aka sport chrono), which is an expensive clock, albeit a nice looking one.

Peace of mind can be had for approx. 2% of the total cost of the car with options.

Last edited by WernerE; 10-22-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:02 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is what we should do. Put in a camera on a car with no lift and another with lift and aim the camera at the drivers face to see their expressions as they come to a steep driveway. Then multiply this expression x number of yrs you own this car and then decide if the $3500 was worth it.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:48 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've read this thread only and plucked out some facts.
Please allow me to be lazy; I have this "just bloody Google it" questions:

1. video of the lift going up and down in real time, preferably with a ruler or something to the actual mm of rise and fall.
?

2. actual mm of rise and fall (does it clear parking space concrete tire stop ... what's the actual raised/lowered clearance)?
rise amount: 30 mm?

3. actual time (factory claim) time of rise and fall
5 seconds?

4. max speed while raised?
30 mph?

I have two places I park every day with concrete tire stops. The car would need to rise far more than 30mm to clear them. I think a camera is the solution (park as close to whatever as possible.)
I find the scraping to be superficial. If anything, the 991S with PASM Sport is really annoying -- I've lost two (!) chin lip splitters.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:59 AM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lift for resale. the bottom of your car will thank you. so will your wallet when you replace your Nth front lip and bumper.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:18 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I've read this thread only and plucked out some facts.
Please allow me to be lazy; I have this "just bloody Google it" questions:

1. video of the lift going up and down in real time, preferably with a ruler or something to the actual mm of rise and fall.
?

2. actual mm of rise and fall (does it clear parking space concrete tire stop ... what's the actual raised/lowered clearance)?
rise amount: 30 mm?

3. actual time (factory claim) time of rise and fall
5 seconds?

4. max speed while raised?
30 mph?
1. There is a vid posted showing the rise and fall. Maybe someone can recall the location and post a link.

2. At the center of the front spoiler the rise is 34mm as measured in my garage. That's based on a clearance at 101mm (4") down and 135mm (5 5/16") raised. Not enough to clear some concrete tire stops, in my experience.

3. I've not seen a factory claim. I timed mine at just a hair under two seconds to rise fully and just under 3 seconds to drop again.

4. Manual says 30 mph. In real life my lift doesn't come down automatically until 39 mph.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:42 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
1. There is a vid posted showing the rise and fall. Maybe someone can recall the location and post a link.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ion-video.html
Old 10-22-2014, 12:28 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Seriously? We all know the lift is mandatory, just like we all know that White is the only color a GT3 comes in...........need more white ;-P
Old 10-22-2014, 12:33 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 95 Posts

I cant believe we have a "lift or no lift" thread about a Porsche 911... and it's not even talking about throttle application around a corner!

Times have changed!

(I was always told.... "DONT LIFT")
Old 10-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Napoli
Cost vs benefit. Exactly my point.

If you can't afford it, to lift or not is moot.

The lift has utility. The paint on your key doesn't.
Affordability has nothing to do with cost vs perceived benefit. If someone can't afford the lift, then they have no business buying a $150,000 car.

Those that think the lift is worth $3500 will buy it. Those that don't see the value will not. Again, it has nothing to do with affordability.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
I cant believe we have a "lift or no lift" thread about a Porsche 911... and it's not even talking about throttle application around a corner!

Times have changed!

(I was always told.... "DONT LIFT")
Classic: don't lift.

I agree on both counts.

I wanted to at least assemble some information before deciding to spend or hold $3000+. While it clearly is an impressive advance over the earlier systems, it's still a lump of weight and complexity. Of course, it's already an overly weighty and complex car, so an extra percent here or there is neither here nor there.

I don't need to park over a balanced iPhone 5, and this lift won't help with parking spot concrete stops or curbs, so I'll save the cash and put a camera there full time for front and back maneuvers.

After 2000+ miles and numerous days driving in San Francisco, while I have a mental map to avoid the really atrocious roads, it's mostly the parking and drive ramps that need the diagonal straddle (and it's kind of fun to feel the opposite front wheel lift off the ground and smoothly regain its contact.)
Old 10-23-2014, 03:34 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey Dan thanks for re- posting this vid

I added lift before build lock because:

1. make it easier to load on trailer , open door and clear fender once on(plan)

2. local Rhode Island roads in summer are really ruff

3. occasional driveway dip/need

4. on dealers recommendation for resale/trade value will pay off to have it
Old 10-23-2014, 04:21 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Classic: don't lift.

I agree on both counts.

I wanted to at least assemble some information before deciding to spend or hold $3000+. While it clearly is an impressive advance over the earlier systems, it's still a lump of weight and complexity. Of course, it's already an overly weighty and complex car, so an extra percent here or there is neither here nor there.

I don't need to park over a balanced iPhone 5, and this lift won't help with parking spot concrete stops or curbs, so I'll save the cash and put a camera there full time for front and back maneuvers.

After 2000+ miles and numerous days driving in San Francisco, while I have a mental map to avoid the really atrocious roads, it's mostly the parking and drive ramps that need the diagonal straddle (and it's kind of fun to feel the opposite front wheel lift off the ground and smoothly regain its contact.)
I wouldn't want to park over the concrete stop even if it cleared it. If the car decided to settle itself down for some reason and lower the car you would be rest on the concrete stop then. Not something I would want to have happen.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:19 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No lift here.

That said, Mike in Cali and CAlexio had pointed out in a previous thread, although the approach angle is reduced in the 991, the ramp angle is something to consider as evidenced by the chart. That doesn't change my outlook, but may for others.

Quick Reply: To lift or not to lift