Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To lift or not to lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just measured (very scientifically) the distance from the ground to the front lip with my iPhone 5s on my C2S and it looks like the same distance with the lift up when elephant made that vid.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

For what it's worth. I've driven about 500 miles in my '14. It does not have a lift. I was really concerned but figured I'm only driving it till my '15 arrives and it does have the lift. I have not had a problem at all. My approach angle has changed greatly even for my modest incline on my driveway but that in it of itself seems to be suffient. You definitely need to be proactive. I figure it's cheap insurance and it's something you won't need until you need it. I see it helping resale and it being there to bail you out when eventually you turn into the wrong parking lot and get trapped with the Mt. McKinley of speed bumps in front of you. I say. Buy the insurance.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:17 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

All I can say on this much debated issue. Just get it!
Apart from it saving your goose just that one time, it's super cool and your kids (in my case my little nephews) LOVE IT! That's the best reason!
Old 11-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Magnetic K
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 26 Posts

Just picked up my '15 GT3 from the dealer. Pulled the car into my drive at an angle, and no problems with the front lip. So, being the cool dad that I am, I let my 17 yo drive my car. He pulls out of the drive, and the front end scrapes on a shallow dip at the edge of the drive. Urrrrr! Only 25 miles on the new GT3, and already scraped the front end. So, every time I pull out, I use the lift. Glad I purchased the lift.

Interesting poll to set up. If we asked, how many owners with a lift, regretted purchasing the lift, and would not purchase it again? How many did not purchase the lift, and regretted not having purchased it?

I have no regrets!
Old 11-09-2014, 12:19 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnetic K
Just picked up my '15 GT3 from the dealer. Pulled the car into my drive at an angle, and no problems with the front lip. So, being the cool dad that I am, I let my 17 yo drive my car. He pulls out of the drive, and the front end scrapes on a shallow dip at the edge of the drive. Urrrrr! Only 25 miles on the new GT3, and already scraped the front end. So, every time I pull out, I use the lift. Glad I purchased the lift.

Interesting poll to set up. If we asked, how many owners with a lift, regretted purchasing the lift, and would not purchase it again? How many did not purchase the lift, and regretted not having purchased it?

I have no regrets!
You'll scrape the lip in fast corners with undulating terrain. No biggie. It's made to scrape.

Last edited by 911dev; 11-09-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Pro racer who has the 991 GT3 told me not to get the lift if tracking the car. Something to do with possible adverse effects on PASM, but I didn't probe to get technical details. So I ordered the car without the lift, and will make due accordingly.

Also, FWIW, when I did a half-hour test drive of a GT3 (no lift) on local roads, including going in/out of the dealer's entrance which has a moderate slope, the car didn't scrape at all. And others have also reported driving many miles on various roads without scraping.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:31 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't order the lift. Just have to be careful.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:21 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Pro racer who has the 991 GT3 told me not to get the lift if tracking the car. Something to do with possible adverse effects on PASM, but I didn't probe to get technical details. So I ordered the car without the lift, and will make due accordingly.

That sounds like a crock. Whether you have a lift or not you still have PASM. Adverse effects on PASM ? Like what ? Inquiring minds want to know if this is a real claim or bunk.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
That sounds like a crock. Whether you have a lift or not you still have PASM. Adverse effects on PASM ? Like what ? Inquiring minds want to know if this is a real claim or bunk.
I'll ask for details next time I talk with him. Meanwhile, I'll just note that he's a credible source and knows the technicalities of these cars very well.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:15 PM
provoke
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doubleurx
The lift is quick. I use it everyday. Definitely improves the DD use. To me it was a no brainer. This car is low....very low!
Exactly.. Its piece of mind.. I don't have to drive scared over uneven surfaces... I use it almost every time I drive it.. And you're right it is SO fast compared the 997 MK2.. Maybe like 2-3 seconds to lift... Put a 250lb friend in the passenger seat and see what happens without the lift......
Old 11-09-2014, 07:24 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the record, i decided to get it and I am one of those people who money IS an object. But I even get an occassional scrape with 981Box S with PASM and sound is so horrible I would pay just not to hear it.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:30 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scycle2020
For the record, i decided to get it and I am one of those people who money IS an object. But I even get an occassional scrape with 981Box S with PASM and sound is so horrible I would pay just not to hear it.
You'll scrape with it too. It sounds far worse than it really is. If it gives you piece of mind, by all means get it. Just don't expect you'll never scrape.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:29 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'll ask for details next time I talk with him. Meanwhile, I'll just note that he's a credible source and knows the technicalities of these cars very well.

So just to get it out in the open, the new claim is 991's with lift are compromised on the track compared to non lift cars...really ?
Old 11-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

So just to get it out in the open, the new claim is 991's with lift are compromised on the track compared to non lift cars...really ?
I don't believe that either.....
Old 11-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

Claim = Hogwash!

My mate (SCCA instructor) has over a 1000 track miles (total road and track is 2k) in his '14 GT3. No issues whatsoever regarding suspension or handling or anything else that could be blamed on the lift. He encouraged me to spec it for my build.

Different note, but for those who are interested, his car is on its 3rd set of Michelins!

Quick Reply: To lift or not to lift