Sponsored by:

To lift or not to lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 03:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sweet Jesus. Another lift thread!

Those that have them will say cant live without them. Those that dont will say you dont need the lift save money and keep it simple.

I doubt you will find anyone who has lived with both on the 991 GT3 and can hold a valid POV.

I will say this then un subscribe to this thread LOL! After almost 12 months ownership and 4000+ miles I have only thought about having ordered the lift perhaps 2-3 times. Even then Im not sure it would have actually made the un-passable, passable! Each time the thought passes I feel again tranquil of keeping the $3500 in my pocket (thats $1200 per thought!). Seriously, I have never regretted saving myself that $3500.............but if I wasnt on such a strict self imposed budget when I ordered this car I would say order the lift. Heck order the PCCBs (even if you track the car) and the LEDS. If money were no object I would have ticked all of those.........and bought a 458 SP!

So. Final analysis. If you can afford it get it. If you cant you will live with it fine like myself and others. And final words of wisdom is that none of us here that I know of have lived with a variation both with and without the lift.....

As you were ;-)
Old 10-21-2014, 04:37 AM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AciDShOrT
How often are the non lift guys hitting their front spoiler? I am in the non lift camp, but a do worry... I guess the piece of mind would have been nice.
i have scraped about 3 times in 3000 kms.

the scrapes are always minor, and its always the bottom of the llip ONLY that hits.

and there is no visible damage on the front of the lip, so it doesnt matter.

even if i had a bad scrape and had to replace the lip its what 200 bucks? but after seeing the nature of the scrapes, i doubt i will ever have to do this.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:50 AM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by scycle2020
i know this has been discussed in part in other threads but since I may need to make a final decision in the next week or so i would like the final consenses on this. I an trying to keep the final price down so I am not going with extra leather- carbon fiber, the PCCB, etc. The car will be an occassional drive to work, weekend fun car and occassion track day car. Thanks for your insights.

man i can tell from your post youre in a similar dilemma i was in. i just didnt want to pay $4000 to save a $150 part.

in the end i didnt order the lift and im sooo glad i didnt.

trust me. FORGET everyone thats telling you to get the lift. you dont need it.

put the money to full leather and you will love your decision. every time i get in my car i think, wow, i almost gave up all this gorgeous leather just to save a $150 part that i now know i will never need to replace anyway, because its just not that bad.

there is about 4.2 inches of clearance without the lift. and its enough to clear all speed bumps. and leaving parkades you just go out on a 45 deg angle and thats it. you never scrape.

even with the lift, there are some parkades where you may need the lift (if you intend to go out perpendicular)
i honestly dont understand why people would tell you to GET THE LIFT!

or "its a MUST HAVE".

it aint no must have. period.

how the hell is it a must have to get a $4000 option, just to save a part that costs next to nothing to replace???

think about it.

i reiterate, when you do scrape, its always just the bottom of the lip, and no visible damage, so you cant tell you even scraped.

the front lip is VERY flexible. you can take it and pry it up and down with your fingers, so its pretty durable.

anyway i think ive blabbed enough, i just dont like to see people throw money away, if they're at all concerned about that sort of thing.

and this is from someone who ordered gt silver for $3500!! (dont regret that decision either, most special color of all. IMO!!)

Last edited by mainly; 10-21-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:57 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,739 Likes on 5,126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
With a normal Carrera as the baseline, the S is 10mm lower, a Carrera with SPASM is 20mm lower, and the GT3 is 30mm lower. But those are suspension measurements and don't tell the whole story since the nose and spoiler on the 991 GT3 are much lower and deeper than on the regular 991. Because of that the GT3 is more susceptible to clearance problems than the 10mm suspension difference between it and a SPASM Carrera would suggest.
Thanks Mike.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:59 AM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by AciDShOrT
How often are the non lift guys hitting their front spoiler? I am in the non lift camp, but a do worry... I guess the piece of mind would have been nice.
read my other posts. you may scrape a few times, (again, read my above posts, no resultant visible damage, even when you do scrape) but after you learn the ways of the car you wont scrape anymore.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:07 AM
aznkuja328
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't order the car with the front lift option. I'm too used to lowered vehicles. the front lip is replaceable on this car and is made out of plastic that can endure some scratches and impact.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:36 AM
Johns930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lift
Old 10-21-2014, 07:02 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

This is really a goofy thread again. It's a 50/50 split. It all depends on where you live ......I will not get in my driveway without scraping every time so for me it was a no brainer. My 991S barley makes it. It depends on your living conditions. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:43 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I too have driven lowered cars for several years and I live in Florida with a perfectly flat driveway. Twice I found myself in a situation where I could not escape severe front splitter damage. In one of those situations I entered a single car width tunnel with traffic behind me, at the bottom was a significant dip as the entrance and exit potions met at an iron grate. I could not reverse out due to cars already in the tunnel behind me. In my ZR1 it cost me an $1800 US splitter, in the GT3 I fear it may have damaged not just the lip but also the front bumper as it would have pushed the lip rearwards and twisted it down and under the car.

The second situation was similar, I navigated into a large venue avoiding any scraping. When I departed, traffic was being tightly controlled and I was forced to leave via a narrow exit with a bad dip into a rise. This scrape was visible on the front of the splitter, likely due to some loose asphalt. In the GT3 I could have replaced the lip for a few $$, I lived with it on the ZR1.

The ZR1 was also right at the limit of my enclosed trailer. My trailer has 12' of approach ramp and over 6' of dovetail. The ZR1 rubbed a bit on entry. With some forums supplied measurements the GT3 would have required some extra planks and a bit of careful manipulation to load.

Combined with a few other difficult entries and exits while owning that car, I decided to go with the lift.

Ryan
Old 10-21-2014, 08:31 AM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys..great comments as usual but I am more confused than ever!!!!
Old 10-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Dlff
Advanced

You pay $3.5K & you have an additional 6kg in the right place which is the front. I heard this 2nd gen lifter is more reliable than the earlier ones. Cheers mate!
Old 10-21-2014, 08:56 AM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Sweet Jesus. Another lift thread!

Those that have them will say cant live without them. Those that dont will say you dont need the lift save money and keep it simple.

I doubt you will find anyone who has lived with both on the 991 GT3 and can hold a valid POV.

I will say this then un subscribe to this thread LOL! After almost 12 months ownership and 4000+ miles I have only thought about having ordered the lift perhaps 2-3 times. Even then Im not sure it would have actually made the un-passable, passable! Each time the thought passes I feel again tranquil of keeping the $3500 in my pocket (thats $1200 per thought!). Seriously, I have never regretted saving myself that $3500.............but if I wasnt on such a strict self imposed budget when I ordered this car I would say order the lift. Heck order the PCCBs (even if you track the car) and the LEDS. If money were no object I would have ticked all of those.........and bought a 458 SP!

So. Final analysis. If you can afford it get it. If you cant you will live with it fine like myself and others. And final words of wisdom is that none of us here that I know of have lived with a variation both with and without the lift.....

As you were ;-)
OP: This^^^ Best post concerning this thread.
Macca: thanks for the laugh; I needed that... Carry on. ;-)

Cheers/BB
Old 10-21-2014, 09:20 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I had the Aerokit on my C4S which is lower than the regular C4S, I'm thinking its gotta be close to the GT3. I would scrape maybe once a day or so. Yes it was just on the _bottom_ and no visible scapes on the viewable area.

I'm still getting the lift. Main reason is I'm hoping to be able to jump the car like a lowrider:

Old 10-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Would you order it if it were a no cost option? There's your answer. Can't afford it, there's your answer.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:24 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, here is the thing. For those in this thread that have never HAD lift, Macca is right, there is not a POV for having the car with and without it. For those of us like me, who DID have the lift on the 997gt3, when the lift is disengaged, its like having a gt3 without lift :-). So for us, we HAVE experienced it both ways. Curbs, hills, etc., I have experienced them with and without. Because when I first got the car, I had to get used to remembering to use it.

Is the 991gt3 better or worse in terms of clearance? Sort of hard to imagine its better clearance. I used my lift almost every time I drove the car.

If I was somewhere really smooth, i.e. Dallas, TX, or Scottsdale, AZ, Miami, FL, etc., I wouldn't have gotten it. But I find that this is one of those things, only don't get if its about $. You don't HAVE to use it if you don't want to, but you have it.

Quick Reply: To lift or not to lift