Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you purchase a 991 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 02:42 AM
JP Schnegg
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all for your great comments which are so important to me. Why?
I ordered a 991 GT3 Riviera Blue which may probably not be a surprise for you. However, and I think these are the surprising points, I have never driven or owned a Porsche before ordering it. My decision was based on pure imagination, readings, hearing, listening, viewing and watching on TV/You Tube. Sounds crazy to me as I promised myself that I would never ever do it in my life, and, especially if under pressure to order because of short timing and minimal slot availability. So, here I am waiting and reading all your posts. My deliverance will come early 2015(Jan-Feb.?). God knows in that part of the world. Anyway, I will soon write why I ordered it and you won't be astonished about it. I feel good that my reasoning is going along with yours and convinced I did not make a mistake.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:43 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
No worries Strimdog......google red cars and tickets.....urban myth.
Well duh, you have to go fast to get a ticket. I like big paper weights......no really I have always loved P cars, and currently own 4. The GT3 to me, has always been a dream to own. I use to track quite a bit, and use to always love the sound and clear stability of the car (granted, as it was passing me). When the 991 came out, I was amazed by not only the performance, but the beautiful presence of the car, from the wide hips to those remarkable wheels. To me it is the best 911 yet, considering performance, practicality and appearance. After driving it now for a few weeks, it has only exceeded my expectations. So far, she's a keeper!
Old 10-10-2014, 02:51 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
LOL. Just got home and I'm reading it now. Mike in CA already responded.

Why did I order one?

1) I saw one in person about a year ago at a car show that Pixar was having and fell in love with the car. It just LOOKS awesome. The 997 was awesome, but when you see the 991 next to it, it just looks plain.

2) What I find to be the most exciting part of driving a car is the NOISE. The sound of a wailing flat 6 is awesome. The sound of a flat 6 at 9k rpm? Must be unreal. I want that experience

3) I needed to scratch the GT3 itch. You hear everyone rave about it. You see them on track all the time. I thought about a 997, but they are coming out of warranty, you don't know if the centerlocks were properly maintained, you worry about potential variocam failure, and the coolant hoses can blow any time. Not reassuring to me for track use.

4) I want to see if I have the cahones to actually drive one of these things quickly on track
First, I think you will find it easier to drive fast than you Boxster- my experience with the .2, and I imagine the 991 is just the same only betterer.

I loved my .2, but its too new to be a classic and right now is just an older GT3, I think you saved yourself a lot of track envy by stepping up to the latest and greatest. You're using the right model to scratch that itch!

Finally, the maintenance issues you talk about are overblown. The GT3 is made of tough stuff, I ran mine hard and almost exclusively on the track, about half in time trials where I pushed it. The car is designed to take it. So far that seems to be the case with the 991 now that the recall is sorted.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:18 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No Mistake...well done ! The color is exciting.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:25 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 310 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
No worries Strimdog......google red cars and tickets.....urban myth.
Maybe. Maybe not.

http://www.accurateautoadvice.com/in...eding-tickets/

Old 10-10-2014, 03:26 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

I've owned several 911s starting with a couple of 964 series coupes, followed by a 993 and a 997S. Loved them all, but always lusted for a GT3.

After a few years of divorce (from hell), bereavement (of many), and finally a cancer diagnosis, I thought: "f@*k it, life's too short". So last April I bought a beautiful 997.2 RS; in January I'll take delivery of a 991GT3; and with a bit of luck by next summer I'll have a 991RS, too. But don't worry, I've no intention of stopping there...

Drive 'em while you can.

Vivian.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:18 AM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Long time BMW M owner still driving the 2013 M5 torque monster, but wanted something lighter and sporty so I purchased a 991S 2013 to see if I like the brand.
interesting. i was wondering since you still have your m5, ( i sold mine) which do you think would win in a roll-on race, the gt3 or m5?

i know the gt3 has better 1/4 mile times, but to me it doesnt seem to pull as hard as my m5 did.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:52 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted a vicious and yet precisely balanced vehicle that I could have an emotional drive with every day and also track when I want to.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:09 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

^^ I am surprised how fast this GT3 is in a straight line. But I was not expecting how smooth and linear it gets you there. I bet it will take the new 991 Turbo to 100 but it does it in a whole different package. It is not a horse kick like the Turbo or some other cars. I know it is tough to explain to associate refined to a GT3 and sounds absurd; but in terms to its acceleration, for some reason it is not as brutal as some other cars. Definitely has surprised me
Old 10-10-2014, 11:50 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 230 Posts

Only Porsche I have driven is the 918 (and that was recent and after I ordered the GT3). This will be my first Porsche and I want to be able to enjoy it while I can. I have been hearing and seeing too much stuff lately that if it happened I most likely wouldn't be able to enjoy having a car like this. Why wait until you can't enjoy it to have it?
Old 10-10-2014, 12:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
First, I think you will find it easier to drive fast than you Boxster- my experience with the .2, and I imagine the 991 is just the same only betterer.

I loved my .2, but its too new to be a classic and right now is just an older GT3, I think you saved yourself a lot of track envy by stepping up to the latest and greatest. You're using the right model to scratch that itch!

Finally, the maintenance issues you talk about are overblown. The GT3 is made of tough stuff, I ran mine hard and almost exclusively on the track, about half in time trials where I pushed it. The car is designed to take it. So far that seems to be the case with the 991 now that the recall is sorted.
That is interesting to know. Thanks for that! The party line is that mid-engine is easier to drive fast. We'll find out in January!
Old 10-10-2014, 04:06 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife got the first P car, a 2005 manual Boxster which she loves. 5 years later I got a 997.2 C4S with pdk and we joined the local Porsche club. Started doing DEs and met some nice people there. Went to PSDS in Alabama and got hooked for sure. Got a used 997.1 GT3 and started to learn H/T the next season. Coolant pipe welding, GT2 seats , 6 pt and necksgen made it a great track car, not so much a DD in hilly Seattle and in stop/go traffic. Have put 10K miles on her.
Sold the C4S last year, only 3K miles yearly and bought a white 2014 C7 Z51 7speed MT, with magnetic ride. Tracked it twice and went to level 2 Spring Mountain corvette school out side of Las Vegas. Good value but just missed having a P car for DD. Too much prep for the track ( for me). Sold it to make from for a sapphire blue 991 GT3 due Jan.
PDK-S seems ideal for this car given its Jekyll/Hyde personalities and DD comfort yet visceral all the same.
Keeping the manual GT3 for now to track but will track the 991 GT3 a bit after a while. Good to have options.
Enjoy life while you can.

Last edited by seapar; 10-10-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:13 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by JP Schnegg
Thank you all for your great comments which are so important to me. Why?
I ordered a 991 GT3 Riviera Blue which may probably not be a surprise for you. However, and I think these are the surprising points, I have never driven or owned a Porsche before ordering it. My decision was based on pure imagination, readings, hearing, listening, viewing and watching on TV/You Tube. Sounds crazy to me as I promised myself that I would never ever do it in my life, and, especially if under pressure to order because of short timing and minimal slot availability. So, here I am waiting and reading all your posts. My deliverance will come early 2015(Jan-Feb.?). God knows in that part of the world. Anyway, I will soon write why I ordered it and you won't be astonished about it. I feel good that my reasoning is going along with yours and convinced I did not make a mistake.
I have never owned or driven a Porsche before either.....My decision was based on a screen saver that has been on my laptop since the beginning of the year....White GT3 parked on a track somewhere....One day I was looking at it and said to myself I'm going to buy one.....sold my GTR and awaiting delivery....the fact that when I started looking (end of Aug) they were tough to get made me want one even more....only after I ordered did I look at the reviews.....can't wait!
Old 10-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Maybe. Maybe not.
As with anything else these days, I suppose it depends on the source, and what your bias is: (not saying you have one on this issue)

From Edmunds.com:

The "Red Car Bias" Myth #1: A commonly held misperception is that red cars tend to receive more speeding tickets than do cars of other colors because of their flashiness. There's also the supposed optical illusion created by their color that makes the cars appear to be going faster than they really are. These are both fascinating theories, but the fact is, according to Carolyn Gorman, vice president of the Insurance Information Institute and Insurance Trade Association, "there is no data to support the assertion that red cars receive more traffic tickets than cars of any other color." Still, the urban legend has been so widely accepted in American society that it has spawned the driving myth discussed below.

The "Red Car Bias" Myth #2: One can't help wonder how many car buyers have shied away from red cars because they believed owning one would cause higher insurance rates than those commanded by cars of other colors. However, even though some studies have suggested red cars are involved in a disproportionate number of accidents, according to Gorman, "there are no major insurance companies that consider car color when determining your rates." Basically, says Gorman, what it comes down to is "people with good driving records and who also drive safe vehicles typically have the lowest car insurance premiums."

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/tr...n-legends.html

And this rather complete analysis debunking the red car myth from Snopes.com (Rumor Has It)

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/redcars.asp
Old 10-10-2014, 05:29 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Here's another reason...fastest street legal GT3.. RS or not ever made. Can a 996 cup beat it with slicks ?
Well I am about to find out. Selling my 2004 Cup which has a hot 3.8L motor. Will take delivery sometime late December. I am not super fast but have a lot of confidence in the Cup. If I can get close to my best Cup time at Road Atlanta with this car then I will be very happy!

Quick Reply: Why did you purchase a 991 GT3?