Sponsored by:

Why did you purchase a 991 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 06:57 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
As with anything else these days, I suppose it depends on the source, and what your bias is: (not saying you have one on this issue)

From Edmunds.com:

The "Red Car Bias" Myth #1: A commonly held misperception is that red cars tend to receive more speeding tickets than do cars of other colors because of their flashiness. There's also the supposed optical illusion created by their color that makes the cars appear to be going faster than they really are. These are both fascinating theories, but the fact is, according to Carolyn Gorman, vice president of the Insurance Information Institute and Insurance Trade Association, "there is no data to support the assertion that red cars receive more traffic tickets than cars of any other color." Still, the urban legend has been so widely accepted in American society that it has spawned the driving myth discussed below.

The "Red Car Bias" Myth #2: One can't help wonder how many car buyers have shied away from red cars because they believed owning one would cause higher insurance rates than those commanded by cars of other colors. However, even though some studies have suggested red cars are involved in a disproportionate number of accidents, according to Gorman, "there are no major insurance companies that consider car color when determining your rates." Basically, says Gorman, what it comes down to is "people with good driving records and who also drive safe vehicles typically have the lowest car insurance premiums."

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/tr...n-legends.html

And this rather complete analysis debunking the red car myth from Snopes.com (Rumor Has It)

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/redcars.asp
No bias at all. I love GR and am successfully (so far) resisting a switch from White to GR on a 2015 GT3 order that can lock any day now. The GT3 will get attention in either color but probably less so in white.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Powerbeast
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came from the BMW world and I initilay thought about getting the Turbo S, but after seeing the GT3 I just fell in love with the pure rawness of a street/race car.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:45 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 680 Posts

I'm a car guy who appreciates all makes. I got into racing (HPDE), 3 years ago, driving my 987.2 Boxster S. As my skills improved, I grew tired of beating cars in the corners, only to be destroyed on the straights due to lack of power. I decided to buy a serious sports car for HPDE and time trials, but wanted the car to have DD capability for weekend trips, dates, etc.
My criteria was for it to be a NA car with >400 hp, and a double clutch transmission. I love manuals, but I have serious nerve damage in my left leg from a major trauma 10 years ago, and repetitive shifting is painful for me.

So with those 3 criteria, I drove every potential racecar that's out, including exotics.

Corvette stingray: great power, better looking than c6, build quality is now better but still inadequate, and their automatic is inferior to a double clutch
Z-28: amazing track performance, but ugly inside and out, no double clutch
BOSS mustang- decent on the track, cheap to run on track, but no double clutch
GT-R: great track performance, but felt the car did too much of the work for me, ugly inside and out, sounds like a vacuum cleaner, it's not a NA car
M3: good double clutch but inferior to PDK-S, good on track, but not as good as GT3, M3s are only turbo now.
Mercedes AMG: looked at several models, great power, handling inferior to GT3, big and heavy, high cost and high depreciation, going mainly turbo
McLaren MP4: OMG amazing on the track, the best of the group, but still a turbo, my girlfriend hated getting in and out of it over the huge carbon tub, high depreciation
458: I drove this 3 times including the track. I loved the engine note, the beauty of the car, and she handled well on the track. The double clutch was great, but only equal to the PDK-S, not superior. Ultimately I couldn't see myself tracking a 458 due to the cost of the consumables, the maintenance, and the risk of tracking a quarter million dollar car. The GT3 would be just as good on the track as a 458, and the 458 was only superior to the GT3 in appearance, which wasn't enough to spend twice as much on a new car and 3 times as much on maintenance and insurance. I also worried I would rarely drive the 458, due to all the attention they bring wherever you go.

So the 991 GT3 was the clear choice for me, and a great combination with my Boxster, as I will still use the Boxster for commuting, errands, and warm sunny days.
I have driven a 991 GT3, and it was amazing on the track, the turn in is much better than a regular 911, lots of power, so stable in transitions. The 991 is by far the best looking GT3 ever, particularly in Guards. I feel I can take it anywhere(with the lift). The interior is elegant, yet still looks like a racecar. It is comfortable for long weekend trips, unlike previous GT3s, and elegant enough for dates and special evening events.

I do still feel a twinge on the rare occasion that I spot a 458, but I'm very happy with the 991 GT3.

Last edited by Drifting; 10-11-2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: .
Old 10-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I got into racing (HPDE), 3 years ago, driving my 987.2 Boxster S. As my skills improved, I grew tired of beating cars in the corners, only to be destroyed on the straights due to lack of power.
Which one? DE is certainly not racing - as any racer will tell you!
Old 10-11-2014, 11:11 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Which one? DE is certainly not racing - as any racer will tell you!
well of course not, that does not mean HPDE's participants are not competitive within their respective run groups w/people trying to be the fastest (beat each other), for the most part following strict safety rule guidelines for passing, ect. The main difference with racing as I see it is that there are no rules for passing and you can fully expect to damage your car (at some point) and consume many more consumables with regard to maintenance. The DE is for one to learn and enjoy their car close to or at the limit, keep it nice and shiny and drive it home at the end of the day.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:18 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm still trying to find a keeper car - maybe it'll be the 991 GT3 maybe not. Owning a car for 12 months is a long time for me, so I'll see how long I keep it.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
well of course not, that does not mean HPDE's participants are not competitive within their respective run groups w/people trying to be the fastest (beat each other), for the most part following strict safety rule guidelines for passing, ect. The main difference with racing as I see it is that there are no rules for passing and you can fully expect to damage your car (at some point) and consume many more consumables with regard to maintenance. The DE is for one to learn and enjoy their car close to or at the limit, keep it nice and shiny and drive it home at the end of the day.
Competitive aspects exist in DE, but that mindset is generally discouraged, since it contributes to incidents. How many times have you heard in driver's meetings that "this is not racing." As far as the rules for passing, they vary based on the run group and club, and they're not always that strict. I've done DEs where it's passing anywhere, no point-by required, passing car is responsible to get the pass done safely.

No rules for passing in racing? Seriously? Of course there are!
Old 10-11-2014, 11:29 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Competitive aspects exist in DE, but that mindset is generally discouraged, since it contributes to incidents. How many times have you heard in driver's meetings that "this is not racing." As far as the rules for passing, they vary based on the run group and club, and they're not always that strict. I've done DEs where it's passing anywhere, no point-by required, passing car is responsible to get the pass done safely.

No rules for passing in racing? Seriously? Of course there are!
I agree. Yes, with regard to passing and racing, clearly you don't need to wait for point-by's or have limited passing zones like DE's that I have experienced. That is what I meant.

"passing car is responsible to get the pass done safely" that is the golden rule for all classes of racing, including F1....again, I agree.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 680 Posts

Thank you rockitman. HPDE and time trials can still be very competitive. I've run with some very talented people.
I'm not sure why manifold is beating his chest regarding "real racing". Just because you are willing to hit other cars, doesn't make you a better driver. There are many drivers in HPDE and time trials that are better drivers than people in the "race" events, but they're not willing to sacrifice their cars.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:23 PM
green
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It embodies the true 911 spirit. Fast, raw, ideal suspension, precise steering.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:35 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

While I agree HPDE is not "racing" there is always the natural mindset to catch up to the car in front of you a stay ahead of the car behind.....I would say the difference is in the rules of passing, not one or the other having rules.....there are certainly rules for competitive racing on all levels...my goal is always to have fun, be safe, and most importantly be able to drive the car home at the end of the day....
Old 10-11-2014, 07:07 PM
AWW100
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm. Fast gear shift, addictive notes second only to Ferrari, high technology, unique and limited production qty lead to better residual values I hope.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

always had GT3
too old to use clutch
all the cool kids are getting 991 hahha
mike and lar twisted my arm.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:24 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
always had GT3
too old to use clutch
all the cool kids are getting 991 hahha
mike and lar twisted my arm.
Mooty, if you DIDN'T buy a new GT3... well, then the earth might stop spinning on its axis.

And on another note, I'd just like to thank Mooty for personally being responsible for 1/10 of 1 percent of the US GDP. Without him, we might be in a depression. I mean, just think about it. How many of you engaged Mooty on a search for a new car? How many of you bought a bigger trailer (and truck!) after consulting with him? How many of you have bought wheels, tires, suspension parts, interior bits, etc. from him?

Old 10-12-2014, 12:58 PM
milban
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
"I wanted a vicious and yet precisely balanced vehicle that I could have an emotional drive with every day" and also track when I want to.
Very well put. Life is busy. Being able to include the sensation of fine machinery into the middle of daily responsibilities, is huge for me.

Quick Reply: Why did you purchase a 991 GT3?