CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Solely for track duty.:-)
Old 10-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Long time BMW M owner still driving the 2013 M5 torque monster, but wanted something lighter and sporty so I purchased a 991S 2013 to see if I like the brand. Of course I did so I ordered the GT3 last May as I love the NA motor. No more turbos for me too bla. May keep the 991S it's a manual, and a good DD. GT3 weekend car, and light track.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:53 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Yep, not going to the store for food!
Vegetable isle is best. Meat sticks isle scare's them away initially anyway
Old 10-09-2014, 06:57 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CALSE
Solely for track duty.:-)
If track only...God bless you..what do you prefer to drive on the street other than say a Cayenne GTS for practicality purposes ?
Old 10-09-2014, 07:09 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My favorite car that I've owned was my E60 M5. I LOVED the S85 n/a V10.

Since then, I've owned a full bolt-on DBA GT-R as my fun/track car and have my CLA45 AMG as my daily (my previous daily was just a regular C-Class Coupe).

I'm sick of turbo lag, sick of AWD and want something a bit more raw and pure, yet still refined and luxurious. I don't need the fastest thing on the block anymore and I don't need to set records at the track. I want something raw, fun, yet comfortable. The local GT-R crowd left a bit to be desired as well.

This car ticked off every box for me. 10k RPM was the selling point. It's fast, somewhat raw (I know you prior GT3 guys will take issue with it being raw), has cache, but still is a bit understated b/c most people will think it's just a ricey 911, and it has a great interior.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,490 Posts

Good thread, a needed ray of sunshine.

I wanted a car I could drive comfortably to the track, have fun while running with the big kids in top run groups without changing tires or screwing around much with setup, and then comfortably drive home. And do all that many times a year, for several years, with the car staying reliable and durable, preferably with backing of warranty. And not have the crazy operating cost of a cup car. And if I want to sell it at some point, not likely take a big hit. Oh, and I preferred that it be a NA RWD Porsche with the engine somewhere behind me. Preferred manual too, but a really good double-clutch wasn't a deal breaker.

Considering the limited options, I wound up going with the 991 GT3.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:28 PM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time Porsche car owner. The 997 generation GT3 and Turbo cars impressed very much. They were consistently fast on track days I attended. Porsche always seem to "punch above their weight" when it comes to their sports cars. When it comes to the 911 Carrera S, GTS and GT3, they always had superior laptimes relative to their engine power output and competitive with higher HP and more expensive cars. I knew I wanted a GT3 once I had the means.

Why the 991 GT3 for me? I wanted a high revving naturally aspirated motor, and I wanted the latest fast shifting dual clutch gearbox. I already have experience with driving an AMG car with a big V8 and automatic transmission (C55 AMG), and I already have experience driving a twin turbo I6 with a manual transmission (135i) both on the streets and on the track for many years. I wanted to experience a different driving (and faster) experience and the 991 GT3 has been everything I hoped for and more.

PDK-S gearbox is amazing. For track days, I think it is SAFER for a non-pro driver like me to drive a dual clutch or automatic transmission car, especially when laptimes plummet with such a fast car. With the pace the 991 GT3 is capable of, I would rather spend my effort and concentration with the racing line and braking points rather than executing a perfect heel and toe manual downshift. I can appreciate that with a slower car, tracking in a manual transmission car can be very fun and engaging.......but the 991 GT3 is not that type of car because of its sheer speed, grip, and pace.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

Track hack for me. Delivery from the dealer is next Friday and the first track day is halfway across the country the following Tuesday at Eastern Creek in Sydney. Will be driving from Adelaide to Sydney over the weekend to run it in so I've got some miles on it before the track day (870 miles). It will be coming home on the transporter though. Have entered it in a few hill climbs as well in Nov.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:33 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
As I made clear in the other thread I bought it to meet and have something in common with hot soccer moms who were drawn to the 991 GT3 because of it's auto box and DD capabilities.

More seriously, it was because I always wanted a GT3. I suspected the 991 version might be the last NA model and I wanted in on the fun before it was too late. I can reasonably drive it on the street and be competitive at autocross without mods and constant tire changing. As nice as other Porsche models are, this one has a presence that can't be denied if the reactions of everyone who sees it is any indication. It hasn't disappointed......
You can continue to make fun... But I know how you will really feel the first time a soccer mom pulls up next to you in her husbands gt3 in auto mode...

Old 10-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Gravity
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why a gt 3 This is my second one I would never buy an r series . load em up on leather and have never really tracked the car
Do a lot of street rallies and commute 600 k one way a weekend to go home. For me it's just an incredible highway machine . Fast ,capable , and because it's a Porsche. Flies mostly under the radar my panamera gets more attention than the gt3 . It's the halo vehicle. I guess that's why I was drawn to it , the last of the NA cars that's why I needed it . Have never ever sold a p car I keep and own them all. Looking forward to having both goats side by side. Will send pics as soon as it's delivered. . Left Halifax sept 26. Long long wait to get to Calgary but I have yet to have a p car delivered on the day they said it would be here. Thank goodness the weather is holding. Just might get it broken in before snow falls. Wish me luck
Old 10-09-2014, 08:14 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Slip
Track hack for me. Delivery from the dealer is next Friday and the first track day is halfway across the country the following Tuesday at Eastern Creek in Sydney. Will be driving from Adelaide to Sydney over the weekend to run it in so I've got some miles on it before the track day (870 miles). It will be coming home on the transporter though. Have entered it in a few hill climbs as well in Nov.
That sounds like a great and fun break in plan. Enjoy !
Old 10-09-2014, 08:20 PM
scb997
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Why a GT3?

My previous car was a 2009 C4S. It was my daily driver - I sold it in February with 107,000 miles on it. While I owned the C4S, I started autocrossing and decided that I really like it. I also like high revving engines - I'm just not a turbo guy. I'd been assuming that I'd replace my C4S with a 2014 C4S with the X51 kit and SPASM. As soon as the press came out that the GT3 had a 9,000 RPM red-line and had been made more suitable as a daily driver, I went to my dealer and put a 10% deposit down.

I got lucky, too. I was the third in line at my dealer. The first two customers passed when my dealer got an allocation. I picked it up on 8/22, have about 4,000 miles on it, and my second autocross is this Sunday.

I couldn't be happier

Scott
Old 10-09-2014, 08:56 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ortho Joe and Mike CA, are you reading this thread....?
Old 10-09-2014, 09:18 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Because I only buy GT3s.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:41 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Ortho Joe and Mike CA, are you reading this thread....?
LOL. Just got home and I'm reading it now. Mike in CA already responded.

Why did I order one?

1) I saw one in person about a year ago at a car show that Pixar was having and fell in love with the car. It just LOOKS awesome. The 997 was awesome, but when you see the 991 next to it, it just looks plain.

2) What I find to be the most exciting part of driving a car is the NOISE. The sound of a wailing flat 6 is awesome. The sound of a flat 6 at 9k rpm? Must be unreal. I want that experience

3) I needed to scratch the GT3 itch. You hear everyone rave about it. You see them on track all the time. I thought about a 997, but they are coming out of warranty, you don't know if the centerlocks were properly maintained, you worry about potential variocam failure, and the coolant hoses can blow any time. Not reassuring to me for track use.

4) I want to see if I have the cahones to actually drive one of these things quickly on track

5) someone needs to make cool track videos of this car.

Last edited by orthojoe; 10-09-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Why did you purchase a 991 GT3?