Sponsored by:

Mezger vs. 991 motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 01:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
If I were a bettin' man, my money would be on a GT3 hybrid model in about 5 - 7 years. They've already done it with the GT3 R Hybrid and of course the 918. That is most definitly in the future of road going Porsche's.

I'm excited, I think the future is bright (pun intended): electric boost + NA seems to be the way of the future for sports cars. Electric cars + turbos for super cars.

Plain old electric for normal cars will be quite normal IMHO, especially when next gen Tesla's start making an appearance in a couple of years.
You forgot H2 fuel cell cars, where the future really is. The battery heavy cars will soon be relics of a passing time.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:39 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Dump the heavy complicated water pumper and get a real deal also 3.6L 964. Similar lap times...
Nah, I don't mind the water. I like my Mezgers chilled. They probably prefer it too.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Default My dos centavos...

Originally Posted by rockitman
I am not fond of battery cars. The 918 being the only exception especially since the batteries are warrantied for life from what I understand.
Nope. Seven years only (see bottom of page for link).

Originally Posted by Polesitter
I specifically asked about a 9A1 derivative and got a somewhat vague "we are looking really hard at a few options right now". I know there has been some work on 9A1 derivatives for Motorsport. However, I actually got the vague impression that maybe there is another development motor lurking around Weissach somewhere. Whether this is 9A1 based or otherwise, I'm not sure. But, I wouldn't be shocked to see something that we don't expect down the road.
Yes!

Originally Posted by Nizer
Hearing similar from my contacts.
Yes!

Originally Posted by brake dust
PAG is waiting on new FIA/ACO technical regulations before investing into the development of a new motorsport GT engine. There was a push to merge the GT3 and ACO GT technical regulations - but no agreement was achieved. So decisions are on hold.
Yes! And don't forget tougher Euro Cycle 6 emissions and perhaps stricter US CAFE standards for the next few years & beyond!

Summary: This new 'motor' is Weissach's final attempt to make the gt3 911 platform 'competitive' in motorsports before the arrival of the all new 960/988 'Fe-Fi'! I believe the development of this new 'motor' accounts for some of the delay in debuting the MY2015 991 gt3 RS, which is already over 6 months past due! Can PAG use this improved engine in series production (even with a detuned modified version for the gt3 & RS) or dedicated only for motorsports due to warranty or excessive maintenance demands (race vs street protocols)? That is part of equation being debated presently at PAG and perhaps explains some of the mystery surrounding not only the delay in the introduction of the 991 gt3 RS...but whether we will see post-face lift .2 991 gt3 in MY2017*! PAG is pondering what to do as we speak and everything (new motor, FIA/ACO new 'GT' regs, what model to use it in) is being studied, considered...and soon decided!

One thing is for sure, the days of the older 911 platform as PAG's gt competition vehicle of choice in motorsports will soon be coming to an end...and Weissach wants let it go out with a 'bang' as a winner!

Originally Posted by rockitman
I would love a 918 electric delete option for $300k less.
It will be a lot less than the $545K! I am hoping to see the new mid-engined 960/988 come in at around $300K (complete) in a few year's time...and kick ***!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*The further development of the .2 991 gt3 engine (whatever forms it comes in) will probably be enough to separate the gt3 version from the standard .2 991S. That is another reason I am betting that PDK-Sport and Rear Axle Steering will be incorporated in the lesser versions of the 991 post the MY2016 facelift next year (late Spring of 2015) without jeopardizing the higher status & performance edge of the gt3!

918 Traction Battery Warranty
"The electric energy for the electric motors is stored by a liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery comprising 312 individual cells with an energy content of about seven kilowatt hours. The battery of the 918 Spyder has a performance-oriented design in terms of both power charging and output, so that it can fulfill the performance requirements of the electric motor. The power capacity and the operating life of the lithium-ion traction battery depend on several factors, including thermal conditions. That is why the battery of the 918 Spyder is liquid-cooled by a dedicated cooling circuit. The global warranty period for the traction battery is seven years."

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=787

Quick Reply: Mezger vs. 991 motor