Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mezger vs. 991 motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 09:36 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Until the new engine appears in Porsche Motorsports efforts it will remain at a disadvantage to the Mezger. When and if it does the Mezger will fade into its proper place in Porsche history. That is the standard by which the new engine will ultimately be judged. While perhaps uneccessary in practical terms, it is unavoidable in a historical context for any Porsche enthusiast.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a conversation on just this topic with the head of PMNA at the GT3 Cup awards ceremony on Friday night. I was teasing him a bit about the mighty Mezger and its incredible longevity. He mentioned that Hans Mezger himself was in near disbelief at how long a run his design has had.

Anyway, the Mezger will run across the board in 2015 Motorsports. 2016 sounded a little more foggy, but I think the Mezger will still run in 2016 cup cars. I specifically asked about a 9A1 derivative and got a somewhat vague "we are looking really hard at a few options right now". I know there has been some work on 9A1 derivatives for Motorsport.

However, I actually got the vague impression that maybe there is another development motor lurking around Weissach somewhere. Whether this is 9A1 based or otherwise, I'm not sure. But, I wouldn't be shocked to see something that we don't expect down the road.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:41 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thx for heads up polesitter. Probably Hybrid.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

I sure as hell hope not. Batteries are for flashlights !

I don't want to carry around 500 lbs of electro crap and neither does anyone else in the paddock.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:59 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Polesitter
I sure as hell hope not. Batteries are for flashlights !

I don't want to carry around 500 lbs of electro crap and neither does anyone else in the paddock.
+1

I've been down the supercharged route, driven a few hybrids and turbos. Looking at the trend evident with BMW, Mercedes, McLaren, and Ferrari we seem to be at the tail end of a golden age for NA motors.

The current 991 and to some extent the 997.2 already have complex electronic systems. In addition to the complexity, most manufacturers are not likely testing the average hybrid as hard as we drive at the track I would not want to be the guinea pig for DEing a hybrid.

Has anyone seen a average joe campaign a hybrid at the track?

Ryan
Old 10-05-2014, 10:33 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
+1 I've been down the supercharged route, driven a few hybrids and turbos. Looking at the trend evident with BMW, Mercedes, McLaren, and Ferrari we seem to be at the tail end of a golden age for NA motors. The current 991 and to some extent the 997.2 already have complex electronic systems. In addition to the complexity, most manufacturers are not likely testing the average hybrid as hard as we drive at the track I would not want to be the guinea pig for DEing a hybrid. Has anyone seen a average joe campaign a hybrid at the track? Ryan
Year is 2040 and my son that just turned 30 is taking me for a drive in my/his 991gt3rs. I go on and on about how we used to drive cars like these on the road and at the track. People were crazy. Tracks had concrete walls and old rubber for protection. On the autobahn we could actually go as fast as we liked!
IMO we are definitely coming towards and end of an era! The 4.0 is the last manual analog car and I think the 1rs will be the last N/A. Time to buy?
Old 10-06-2014, 01:34 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

^ I already bought my 7.2 GT3, and I'll stick with it unless I run into some money to upgrade to a 7.2 RS or a 4.0.

For anyone who doesn't have a GT3 or RS these next 2-3 will most likely be the last years to buy a N/A high revving GT model from Porsche. Sad but what else can you do?
Old 10-06-2014, 08:13 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

However, I actually got the vague impression that maybe there is another development motor lurking around Weissach somewhere. Whether this is 9A1 based or otherwise, I'm not sure. But, I wouldn't be shocked to see something that we don't expect down the road.
PAG is waiting on new FIA/ACO technical regulations before investing into the development of a new motorsport GT engine. There was a push to merge the GT3 and ACO GT technical regulations - but no agreement was achieved. So decisions are on hold.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:33 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Legendary race motor still in use today in Porsche's race cars vs street motor that caused almost an entire year of production delays while not being deemed suitable for Porsche Motorsport and mostly adopted due to much lower production costs thereby increasing PAG profits.

I guess the answer to which one is better depends on whether or not you're buying the car or you're a VAG stockholder.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:21 PM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

^^^ Brilliant post that speaks volumes...
Old 10-06-2014, 01:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,128 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
For anyone who doesn't have a GT3 or RS these next 2-3 will most likely be the last years to buy a N/A high revving GT model from Porsche.
I don't agree. I think they will keep making them and both the revs and power will only get higher (perhaps eventually evolving into Flat-8 for even more of each).
Old 10-06-2014, 01:49 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Legendary race motor still in use today in Porsche's race cars vs street motor that caused almost an entire year of production delays while not being deemed suitable for Porsche Motorsport and mostly adopted due to much lower production costs thereby increasing PAG profits.

I guess the answer to which one is better depends on whether or not you're buying the car or you're a VAG stockholder.
you speak as though the iconic Mezger was without problems even after decades of development. the 991 had a problem and it was fixed, to the best of our knowledge; time will tell. had a mezger and still love the engine, just saying. confident i will really dig the 9A1 gt engine too. legendary comes with time.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:56 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I don't agree. I think they will keep making them and both the revs and power will only get higher (perhaps eventually evolving into Flat-8 for even more of each).
You're living in the past. The future is electric. I'm excited about getting my GT3, and I'll be just as excited when the hybrid or full electric version arrives. To improve, we need to innovate. The 918 was just the beginning, and anyone who thinks there won't be a hybrid GT3 in the next 10 years (probably more like 5) is simply in denial of the changing world.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:29 PM
frayed
Race Car

Don't miss the mezger. Even Mr. Mezger drives a 9a1 powered car
Old 10-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Don't miss the mezger. Even Mr. Mezger drives a 9a1 powered car
Link to that?