Sponsored by:

Yes, Even I'm Getting One.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 06:23 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Yes, Even I'm Getting One.

I admit, I didn't jump on the 991 GT3 bandwagon early. In fact, the engine swap fiasco further solidified that I didn't want one.

Well, I saw a few around and they intrigued me. Much better looking in person than in pics (not that pics are bad). My main DFW area dealer said there was a huge waiting list so I didn't bother. I have had a deposit down for the 991 RS for a while now, so why get a GT3. I have a 997.2 RS with $65K of upgrades that is awesome.

I drove a 911 Turbo S and searched for the right one to get as a DD and occasional track car. However, I kept seeing these new GT3s around. Wow. I haven't even driven one. I'm definitely more of a GT3 guy than a Turbo guy though. I do enjoy the occasional pose, however.

I came across a backed out order that arrived in Houston and gave them my credit card for a deposit. They then said it was sold.

I called several dealers and was told by LA Downtown that I could have one for $25K over MSRP. I said no. Rusnak then said I could have one for $10k over MSRP. I said, no thank you. Their response to that was, "good luck at getting one at MSRP." Serious.

The next day (today), I got a call from another DFW dealer that they just got an extra '15 GT3 allocation (Dec build, Jan delivery) and asked if I wanted it. I said, "Hell yes".

That's my story. I'm not a hater.

Looking forward to building it now. Haven't put much thought into that yet. Thanks to everyone on this forum for their build threads that I have read or will read.

I will keep my 997.2 RS for now. Unless someone wants to buy it.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Nice! Welcome to the club, man!

I hope you told those dealers in socal to go F themselves. LOL
Old 09-12-2014, 06:50 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Nice! Welcome to the club, man!

I hope you told those dealers in socal to go F themselves. LOL
yeah, it's funny how all those same LA dealers are now contacting us to sell at MSRP. Was lovely to be able to say no to them again. Hope people give business to the good dealers and avoid the Auto Gallery/ DTLA/ Rusnak of the world.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:03 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I suspected you might fall into the temptation. Congrats. I still remember the sound your RS makes as you heal toe, certainly intimidating.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:05 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Sam, it was your dealer that gave me the allocation. Blame them.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:21 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They're really great to work with.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:00 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome. Congrats ky!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:06 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations! Mine arrives ATL about the same time.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:22 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats. 991 is a sweet car. Don't sell the RS now.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:46 PM
kneman1
Instructor

What color?????
Old 09-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Bruno Giacomelli
Instructor

Originally Posted by rwcsn1
yeah, it's funny how all those same LA dealers are now contacting us to sell at MSRP. Was lovely to be able to say no to them again. Hope people give business to the good dealers and avoid the Auto Gallery/ DTLA/ Rusnak of the world.
You No Cal boys must have been burning down some Humbolt instead of going to your Econ 101 class. Pricing in each sub market is driven by demand and So Cal is the biggest market for luxury/exotic car buyers IN THE WORLD. All three of the dealers you mention have good reputations and they are simply reflecting local market pricing.
Time to twist one up and burn it down I guess...
Old 09-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Funny this happened to me today as well. I live in DFW and my dealer called me today with a Dec build / Jan delivery - needless to say they have my deposit and I configured my new Dark Blue metallic GT3 today. This will be my first GT3 so I'm beyond excited. I currently have a 991 Carrera S which I bought in May, awesome car but a bit of an impulse purchase considering my previous Porsches were a 996 Turbo and a 997 Turbo. I just couldn't bring myself to drop $180k on a 991 T yet. I was on the fence between that and the GT3 anyway but wanted a toy so I bought the Carrera S. So as it will turn out by the time I pay the "I'm an idiot penalty" on trading in a '14 S with 2k miles on a '15 GT3 built to my specs I could have bought a turbo. Lol. Funny thing is I couldn't be happier. GT3 ownership ahead...
Old 09-12-2014, 09:04 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruno Giacomelli
You No Cal boys must have been burning down some Humbolt instead of going to your Econ 101 class. Pricing in each sub market is driven by demand and So Cal is the biggest market for luxury/exotic car buyers IN THE WORLD. All three of the dealers you mention have good reputations and they are simply reflecting local market pricing.
Time to twist one up and burn it down I guess...
i think maybe you were the one toking...

$1k nationwide enclosed door to door shipping of these cars means that there are no "sub markets"... and when the denominator of available cars changes dramatically (i.e. supply) which it just did, the demand curve shifted dramatically... just silly that they are asking over MSRP now, when there are dozens of allocations available at MSRP...
Old 09-12-2014, 09:06 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I admit, I didn't jump on the 991 GT3 bandwagon early. In fact, the engine swap fiasco further solidified that I didn't want one.

Well, I saw a few around and they intrigued me. Much better looking in person than in pics (not that pics are bad). My main DFW area dealer said there was a huge waiting list so I didn't bother. I have had a deposit down for the 991 RS for a while now, so why get a GT3. I have a 997.2 RS with $65K of upgrades that is awesome.

I drove a 911 Turbo S and searched for the right one to get as a DD and occasional track car. However, I kept seeing these new GT3s around. Wow. I haven't even driven one. I'm definitely more of a GT3 guy than a Turbo guy though. I do enjoy the occasional pose, however.

I came across a backed out order that arrived in Houston and gave them my credit card for a deposit. They then said it was sold.

I called several dealers and was told by LA Downtown that I could have one for $25K over MSRP. I said no. Rusnak then said I could have one for $10k over MSRP. I said, no thank you. Their response to that was, "good luck at getting one at MSRP." Serious.

The next day (today), I got a call from another DFW dealer that they just got an extra '15 GT3 allocation (Dec build, Jan delivery) and asked if I wanted it. I said, "Hell yes".

That's my story. I'm not a hater.

Looking forward to building it now. Haven't put much thought into that yet. Thanks to everyone on this forum for their build threads that I have read or will read.

I will keep my 997.2 RS for now. Unless someone wants to buy it.
congrats....sounds like a few of us will be picking up our GT3s from said Premier dealer in DFW...
Old 09-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Bruno Giacomelli
Instructor

Originally Posted by rwcsn1
Originally Posted by mrsullivan
i think maybe you were the one toking...

$1k nationwide enclosed door to door shipping of these cars means that there are no "sub markets"... and when the denominator of available cars changes dramatically (i.e. supply) which it just did, the demand curve shifted dramatically... just silly that they are asking over MSRP now, when there are dozens of allocations available at MSRP...
If robots were buying these cars you'd be right, but there are enough irrational buyers that don't give a rat's *** about door to door, blah, blah. They want certainty now and they will pay for it. You also have no clue what the future supply is.

Quick Reply: Yes, Even I'm Getting One.