Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

issues encountered with your GT3

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, below is copied from my GT3 interval schedule. My engine was replaced at the factory but that should not be a reason that yours say's every 12 months to change the oil. I will have it changed every time I take it out of storage regardless what Porsche "recommends"

Minor maintenance at 20,000, 60,000, 100,000, 140,000 mls etc.
If the mileage for scheduled maintenance is not reached, minor maintenance must be performed after 2, 6, 10 ... years at the latest.
Diagnosis system: Read out fault memory Change engine oil and oil filter*
Underside of vehicle and engine compartment: Visual inspection for leaks (oils and fluids) and chafing (lines and hoses) Underbody covers: Visual inspection for completeness, fastening and signs of damage
Coolant hoses: Check condition
Radiators and air intakes: Visual inspection for exterior soiling and blockage Coolant: Check level and antifreeze
Particle filter: Replace filter element
Brake system: Visual inspection of the brake pads and brake discs for signs of wear
Brake hoses and lines: Visual inspection for damage, correct routing and corrosion
Drive shafts: Visual inspection of the boots for leaks and signs of damage
Tires: Check condition and tire pressure
Door locks, lid locks, safety hook and internal trunk release mechanism (trunk entrapment) of the front lid:
Check to ensure that they are adjusted correctly and function properly
Vehicle lighting system: Check function
All headlights: Check adjustment
Horn: Check function
Windshield wiper/washer system, headlight washer: Check fluid level and nozzle adjustments, make sure to check the antifreeze during the winter months; check wiper blades
Electrical devices as well as indicator and warning lights: Check function
* Theengineoilandoilfiltermustbechangedevery6,000mlsinvehiclesthataredrive nincountrieswhereleadedfuelisused.

The last part says change oil every 6,000 miles if you live in country that has leaded fuel.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:05 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Better to change oil before you put the car in storage, not after.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:54 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Today I noticed rattling noises every time I hit uneven surface. It's definitely from outside of the car and in the rear. Very hard to tell where its coming from. Its pretty noticeable though. They might have left something loose when they put the engine back together. Many parts was taken out to replace the engine. Should be interesting to see how they will find out where its coming from. Another trip to the dealer.
I had the same thing. It is located in the rear deck lid. My GT3 tech tightened the rubber bumpers back there. Despite three attempts the noise tis still there, although it's 95% gone. I hear it when going over really rough roads. A little annoying but it's what you get without sound insulation.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Clocked
Mike, below is copied from my GT3 interval schedule. My engine was replaced at the factory but that should not be a reason that yours say's every 12 months to change the oil. I will have it changed every time I take it out of storage regardless what Porsche "recommends"

Minor maintenance at 20,000, 60,000, 100,000, 140,000 mls etc.
If the mileage for scheduled maintenance is not reached, minor maintenance must be performed after 2, 6, 10 ... years at the latest.
Diagnosis system: Read out fault memory Change engine oil and oil filter*
Underside of vehicle and engine compartment: Visual inspection for leaks (oils and fluids) and chafing (lines and hoses) Underbody covers: Visual inspection for completeness, fastening and signs of damage
Coolant hoses: Check condition
Radiators and air intakes: Visual inspection for exterior soiling and blockage Coolant: Check level and antifreeze
Particle filter: Replace filter element
Brake system: Visual inspection of the brake pads and brake discs for signs of wear
Brake hoses and lines: Visual inspection for damage, correct routing and corrosion
Drive shafts: Visual inspection of the boots for leaks and signs of damage
Tires: Check condition and tire pressure
Door locks, lid locks, safety hook and internal trunk release mechanism (trunk entrapment) of the front lid:
Check to ensure that they are adjusted correctly and function properly
Vehicle lighting system: Check function
All headlights: Check adjustment
Horn: Check function
Windshield wiper/washer system, headlight washer: Check fluid level and nozzle adjustments, make sure to check the antifreeze during the winter months; check wiper blades
Electrical devices as well as indicator and warning lights: Check function
* Theengineoilandoilfiltermustbechangedevery6,000mlsinvehiclesthataredrive nincountrieswhereleadedfuelisused.

The last part says change oil every 6,000 miles if you live in country that has leaded fuel.

Hi Clocked, I think the above is more generic Porsche service information. There are specific additional service recommendations for the GT3 on page 15 of the Maintenance booklet (well, mine anyway). BTW, this is from the original booklet that came with the car; it has nothing to do with the engine replacement. Anyway, see below:
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Clocked
Racer

Thanks Mike.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the car back from the dealer. The droning was caused by a "slow" moving valve. Exhaust tone is much more authoritative and crisp compared to before which was already great.

After having the car and driving more than 1000 miles, I can honestly say this is the best car I've ever had that fits my life style. Track and party on weekends, fine dinning on week days and DD during work hours.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Dude - I am really happy for you. I hate when you know some thing may be wrong and it ends up being no big deal. The good thing so far is that most of the issues we are seeing are very minor and can be fixed easily. This happens with new cars and it is not just Porsche models

Clocked - hf1 is correct. I used to change the oil and filter after storage but even in the GT3 manual, regarding storage, it says to change oil and filter before.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:20 PM
KEEPUP
Instructor

Dude- lol that's awesome! U love the car for any situation, which is what I'm planning on but won't necessarily need it to be
Old 09-05-2014, 02:50 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rod sticking out of the case - is this covered by warranty? LOL kiddinn'

12,000 mile spark plug change???
Old 09-05-2014, 03:46 PM
KEEPUP
Instructor

Yea, 12k spark plug change was slightly shocking to me too.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:50 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

So change spark plugs with every oil change? Interesting.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:57 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is incredible.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:18 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

This baby wears down electrodes like Germans " wear down " jugs during Oktoberfest.
That is unheard of!
It sure doesn't seem like this interval is made to generate service income for dealers... Thank God!
Old 09-05-2014, 04:46 PM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
Got the car back from the dealer. The droning was caused by a "slow" moving valve. Exhaust tone is much more authoritative and crisp compared to before which was already great.

After having the car and driving more than 1000 miles, I can honestly say this is the best car I've ever had that fits my life style. Track and party on weekends, fine dinning on week days and DD during work hours.

hmm, engine related issues this soon doesnt make me feel good. glad it was sorted easily.

is this a relatively common issue?
Old 09-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
hmm, engine related issues this soon doesnt make me feel good. glad it was sorted easily.

is this a relatively common issue?
FWIW, it's not really an "engine related" issue, it's a vacuum operated flap located in the exhaust stream just before the center muffler. In fact, it's a part that wasn't replaced and would have been reused with the new engine. It's not unusual for the valves to stick although it usually happens when the sport exhaust system is bypassed and the valves are left in one position over a period of time. As was pointed out, an easy fix....

Quick Reply: issues encountered with your GT3