Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB Gen3

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 01:18 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Maybe it's because the OEM brake pads on the GT3 are different compounds that dust more than the others?
Old 06-27-2014, 01:18 AM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Should I expect the brake dust on the GT3 to be equal to the Loaner or is the GT3 that much different?
Not sure about the 991's, but in the 997 the GT3 came with a different pad than the "regular" 911s or even Turbos. That pad probably generates more dust, combined with the fact that GT3s lend themselves to being driven harder than their cousins, ends up with a dirtier wheel. The stock 991 wheel is great for hiding dust with that anthracite color, I would think
Old 06-27-2014, 03:20 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake dust.....really this Is a GT3 forum....not Detailing Delight...

Brake dust covered wheels are a Badge of honor....illustrates your using the 3 as intended

Driven hard and put up dusted....

Seems we have a new benchmark in "1% world" problems.....
Old 06-27-2014, 05:01 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdList
Mike that Guard's Red with those yellow calipers looks stunning! I am so back and forth here on the white vs. red. Still leaning heavily towards white but the constant glimpses of your car are making it very difficult. :-)

-Mike (in GA)
Thanks, Mike. I'd hate to admit how much time I spent agonizing over colors, especially when contemplating something less "safe" than my usual silver. As has been said here many times, the GT3 wears many colors well so you won't go wrong with whatever you decide.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:08 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Bill is right I suppose, and we shouldn't be concerned about brake dust but I hate it anyway. My 997.2 S brakes made loads of dust. The wheels would show it after even a short drive, and it would also appear on the bodywork aft of the wheel wells. I didn't mind it showing up after an autocross as a badge of honor but not on a freshly washed car after a 10 mile drive to the grocery store!

FWIW, with PCCB's that issue has been resolved.....
Old 06-28-2014, 09:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The factory wheels start looking darker and meaner the longer you leave them unwashed. Created a totally new and more sinister look to the car on my trip (I washed the car three times in 30 days and 2000 miles). I liked it. The wheels are a matt speckled finish so dont show the dust up hardly at all.

Im done second guessing this car. My engine was installed Friday and Im off to the track in a couple of weeks.

Given the engine situation and the fact Im doing to be using this for track and tarmac rally Im glad I went with the steelies. Ive heard horror stories all generations of PCCB on track rat GT3 and after the engine debacle Ive lost some faith these are "fixed"....sorry. Prefer red callipers too actually purely from an aesthetic point of view.

If it were a garage queen or a bragging rights car I can see how PCCB is worth the money. But Im really glad I didnt bother now. Im still fingers crossed on the durability of the PDK and the CL locks!
Old 06-28-2014, 09:18 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
The factory wheels start looking darker and meaner the longer you leave them unwashed. Created a totally new and more sinister look to the car on my trip (I washed the car three times in 30 days and 2000 miles). I liked it. The wheels are a matt speckled finish so dont show the dust up hardly at all.

Im done second guessing this car. My engine was installed Friday and Im off to the track in a couple of weeks.

Given the engine situation and the fact Im doing to be using this for track and tarmac rally Im glad I went with the steelies. Ive heard horror stories all generations of PCCB on track rat GT3 and after the engine debacle Ive lost some faith these are "fixed"....sorry. Prefer red callipers too actually purely from an aesthetic point of view.

If it were a garage queen or a bragging rights car I can see how PCCB is worth the money. But Im really glad I didnt bother now. Im still fingers crossed on the durability of the PDK and the CL locks!
Congrats on your engine install!! Can't wait to see your track video(s).
Old 06-28-2014, 10:30 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The factory wheels start looking darker and meaner the longer you leave them unwashed. Created a totally new and more sinister look to the car on my trip (I washed the car three times in 30 days and 2000 miles). I liked it. The wheels are a matt speckled finish so dont show the dust up hardly at all. Im done second guessing this car. My engine was installed Friday and Im off to the track in a couple of weeks. Given the engine situation and the fact Im doing to be using this for track and tarmac rally Im glad I went with the steelies. Ive heard horror stories all generations of PCCB on track rat GT3 and after the engine debacle Ive lost some faith these are "fixed"....sorry. Prefer red callipers too actually purely from an aesthetic point of view. If it were a garage queen or a bragging rights car I can see how PCCB is worth the money. But Im really glad I didnt bother now. Im still fingers crossed on the durability of the PDK and the CL locks!
Macca -- congrats!!!
Old 06-28-2014, 05:02 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

They do look meaner, but have you ever tried cleaning brake dust which has been left on for a long time?.. It is very corrosive and quickly eats into the finish on the wheels.

I use armor-all wheel protectant spray on my BMW's wheels (very dusty pads) and it makes a big difference. Wheels stay cleaner much longer, and when I wash it, you can tell the dust didn't get into the lacquer.

I'm not a detailing freak by any means, but brake dust is a real bear
Old 06-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

To each their own. No sense in debating PCCB vs. Steel. I also went with the red calipers because it just tied in better with the red stitching ect.

But, I also built a couple cars on the web sit with the yellow calipers which also looked great but in the end I went white and tied in all the red.

Never once was it about performance( no definitive argument), ego, money ect. That is why it will be my car. I built it the way I wanted it and may be that is why I have hung in so long. First car that I sort of Custom built with all the goodies I wanted.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Macca -- congrats!!!
Thanks guys. Appreciated. I asked for the install to be photographically documented this is the part up until they are about to install the new engine...

P.S. The finish on the 991 GT3 wheels is without clear boat so infact there is little for the brake pad dust to destroy. Must say these are the nicest wheels Ive ever had to hand clean tho ;-)
Attached Images                
Old 06-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images    
Old 06-28-2014, 07:31 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Amazing photos, thanks!
Old 06-28-2014, 07:40 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Awesome
Old 06-28-2014, 08:49 PM
991GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy to see you have your car back very soon Macca!

By the way, did you get a bypass and removed the center muffler?

Quick Reply: PCCB Gen3