Sponsored by:

PCCB Gen3

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 10:51 AM
G55amg
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PCCB Gen3

I know this is a topic that has being hammer multiple times, but now that some of the cars are back on the street, I will like to know, if there is anyone in the forum, that order there car with PCCB and is planing to track the car( not heavy track use but couple times a year, max 6 times per year), I will like to know what are there impression on the new Gen 3 PCCB?

Thank you
JV
Old 06-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes and I plan to track it a few times a year - it's not my dedicated track car though. I've driven the latest generation CCBs from BMW and Mclaren and they are absolutely fantastic. Pedal feel has come such a long way. I'm excited to drive the new Porsche CCBs in the next few days.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:03 PM
G55amg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Yes and I plan to track it a few times a year - it's not my dedicated track car though. I've driven the latest generation CCBs from BMW and Mclaren and they are absolutely fantastic. Pedal feel has come such a long way. I'm excited to drive the new Porsche CCBs in the next few days.
Thank you, please give us feedback once you get your car back and after taking it to the track.
I'm on the fence of ordering my car with or without them.
JV
Old 06-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree it's a tough call, as the mag reviews have praised the base steels.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:30 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,127 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Agree it's a tough call, as the mag reviews have praised the base steels.
Yes and the decision is made even harder, since even if Irons are the way to go on the track, ordering PCCB's would allow you to substitute some huge 410mm iron rotors (and store or sell the original carbons) on the PCCB setup.

Since there is no change to the wheels depending on brakes chosen as on most models, seems like you ought to fill them up with 410mm rotors of either composition if the car is going to be tracked a bunch. But then, maybe the cooling is improved enough to go with stock irons?
Old 06-20-2014, 03:37 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by G55amg
I know this is a topic that has being hammer multiple times, but now that some of the cars are back on the street, I will like to know, if there is anyone in the forum, that order there car with PCCB and is planing to track the car( not heavy track use but couple times a year, max 6 times per year), I will like to know what are there impression on the new Gen 3 PCCB?

Thank you
JV
I tracked my 991 TTS with PCCB and they are absolutely divine. You can't tell rotor wear by visual inspection anymore, there is a special device. After about 8-10 track days, mine were still perfect when measured. For infrequent track days like you are thinking, you won't regret having them.

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yes and the decision is made even harder, since even if Irons are the way to go on the track, ordering PCCB's would allow you to substitute some huge 410mm iron rotors (and store or sell the original carbons) on the PCCB setup.

Since there is no change to the wheels depending on brakes chosen as on most models, seems like you ought to fill them up with 410mm rotors of either composition if the car is going to be tracked a bunch. But then, maybe the cooling is improved enough to go with stock irons?
410 mm steels would be incredibly heavy. That's why stock steels are 380 "only".
Old 06-20-2014, 03:41 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
410 mm steels would be incredibly heavy. That's why stock steels are 380 "only".
I agree, but I have never regretted having overkill brakes on a track car. My 73 911 weighs 1,900 pounds but has big Brembo brakes from 930 Turbo and the headroom is a real blessing (much less frequent pad/rotor changes, less frequent bleeding, never have to rebuild calipers due to cooked seals, never possible to fade them, consistent pedal). Yes, it probably could be slightly faster with smaller brakes, but the tradeoff in safety and other performance metrics favors the huge brakes imo.

A car like the 991 GT3 is very fast and quite heavy - don't think 410mm irons would be too much (but if PCCB's last, that's the better option). Since the center hat of the rotor is aluminum, don't think the weight penalty would be that severe.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can't tell PCCB rotor wear by visual inspection anymore, there is a special device.
I think they have a minimum weight, rather than dimensional change, right?
Old 06-20-2014, 03:59 PM
G55amg
Rennlist Member

I tracked my 991 TTS with PCCB and they are absolutely divine. You can't tell rotor wear by visual inspection anymore, there is a special device. After about 8-10 track days, mine were still perfect when measured. For infrequent track days like you are thinking, you won't regret having them.

Thank you for the info.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:09 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

I agree, but I have never regretted having overkill brakes on a track car. My 73 911 weighs 1,900 pounds but has big Brembo brakes from 930 Turbo and the headroom is a real blessing (much less frequent pad/rotor changes, less frequent bleeding, never have to rebuild calipers due to cooked seals, never possible to fade them, consistent pedal). Yes, it probably could be slightly faster with smaller brakes, but the tradeoff in safety and other performance metrics favors the huge brakes imo.

A car like the 991 GT3 is very fast and quite heavy - don't think 410mm irons would be too much (but if PCCB's last, that's the better option). Since the center hat of the rotor is aluminum, don't think the weight penalty would be that severe.
Good point.

I think they have a minimum weight, rather than dimensional change, right?
It's a special device. I forgot its name or what does it exactly measure but it's not weight or dimensional change.

Originally Posted by G55amg
Thank you for the info.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:22 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The weakness in high speed track use is the tires not the brakes. I had steel on my 991 GT3 and the brakes could easily overpower the front tires (MPSC) abs kicks in early to hold traction. I have PCCB's on my 991 TTS and they are even more powerful. The stock P Zero's don't have a chance! Allan

Sam, I would love to here your experience.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:55 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by allans
The weakness in high speed track use is the tires not the brakes. I had steel on my 991 GT3 and the brakes could easily overpower the front tires (MPSC) abs kicks in early to hold traction. I have PCCB's on my 991 TTS and they are even more powerful. The stock P Zero's don't have a chance! Allan

Sam, I would love to here your experience.
You are absolutely correct. Tires are the weakest link. Steels are super powerful. While PCCB do not stop the car any faster (in my experience), they require significantly less pedal force to achieve the same result. In so doing, they make driving on track less tiring, for people like me who are not doing this day in and day out.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:03 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

We can argue money vs. performance, vs ego until we are blue in our faces and keep us up all night on the PCCB vs. steel scenario. You can stack your data either way in your argument. I took a more simpler route. I took the price, performance, and ego out of it. I looked at what best would look good with my white GT3 with all the red stitching, seat belts, and taillights. Guess which way I went on the brakes??? Yep "red" but all that red also added up so "each to their own"
Old 06-21-2014, 08:45 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^ all valid points. As stated above, it really is a matter of personal preferences. That said, I love yellow calipers, yellow belts and black full leather with standard stitching on a white GT car.

Minimal brake dust compared to irons is worth almost half the cost of admission alone for me. GT3s spew brake dust backing out of the driveway. The fact that the PCCB rotors and calipers are bigger filling up the large diameter 20" wheels is icing. I feel PCCBs on this car really give it a nicer look.

None of us like the extra static weight from RWS, PDK, etc, yet the 42lb (est) drop in unsprung/rotational weght is a lot. It may not yield better numbers on paper, but is still meaningful in other ways.

The aforementioned works for me as I am not a track junkie. Those who are, I understand completely; irons are the way to go.

Last edited by 911dev; 06-21-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
^ all valid points. As stated above, it really is a matter of personal preferences.

Minimal brake dust compared to irons is worth almost half the cost of admission alone for me. GT3s spew brake dust backing out of the driveway. The fact that the PCCB rotors and calipers are bigger filling up the large diameter 20" wheels is icing. I feel PCCBs on this car really give it a nicer look.

None of us like the extra static weight from RWS, PDK, etc, yet the 42lb (est) drop in unsprung/rotational weght is a lot. It may not yield better numbers on paper, but is still meaningful in other ways.

The aforementioned works for me as I am not a track junkie. Those who are, I understand completely; irons are the way to go.
Yes. Bottom line, I know that for the way I will use the car, I would have regretted not getting PCCB's.

Quick Reply: PCCB Gen3