Sponsored by:

PCCB Gen3

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014 | 03:01 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allans
The weakness in high speed track use is the tires not the brakes. I had steel on my 991 GT3 and the brakes could easily overpower the front tires (MPSC) abs kicks in early to hold traction.
Big brakes for the track are not purchased for the additional braking power per se - it's about thermal dissipation limits. Bigger brakes can handle longer (indefinitely long if big enough) sessions at higher speeds with stickier track tires without overheating the pads, rotors, fluid, piston seals, wheel bearings, etc.

Any modern brakes can easily lock the tires (or trigger ABS) on the first application.
Old 06-21-2014 | 04:49 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

On the other hand.............
Old 06-24-2014 | 05:09 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

I am quite interested in details about the replacement steel rotors mentioned above as I am concerned that my ceramics will not last the DE season. I spoke with two dealers today and neither knew what I was talking about. Is it just a regular 380 iron rotor or is it a 410 mm replacement ? Anyone have details or part numbers?
Old 06-24-2014 | 05:53 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

In the computer world, I believe the 410mm iron rotors would be called.... vaporware.
Old 06-24-2014 | 06:07 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s996
I am quite interested in details about the replacement steel rotors mentioned above as I am concerned that my ceramics will not last the DE season. I spoke with two dealers today and neither knew what I was talking about. Is it just a regular 380 iron rotor or is it a 410 mm replacement ? Anyone have details or part numbers?
The 410mm rotors may not be available yet, but I imagine they will be soon. I would contact Rick Sine at Race Technologies:

(714) 438-1118 x120
rick@racetechnologies.com
www.racetechnologies.com
Old 06-24-2014 | 08:07 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrantG
The 410mm rotors may not be available yet, but I imagine they will be soon. I would contact Rick Sine at Race Technologies:

(714) 438-1118 x120
rick@racetechnologies.com
www.racetechnologies.com
I don't believe this will be the case in regards to Porsche making a larger Steel rotor for the PCCB setup. In the GT3 article in the October 2013 edition of Excellence magazine, it was said that the PCCB calipers can be shimmed to work with the standard Steel rotors or something to that effect and not that Porsche will make a larger steel rotor for tracking.
Old 06-24-2014 | 08:39 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Yes. Bottom line, I know that for the way I will use the car, I would have regretted not getting PCCB's.
I think I will make similar use of the car to you Mike, and I am massively regretting not speccing the PCCBs, and for so many reasons. They cost £6,300 here in the UK but I've convinced myself that's a bargain as rumour has it they cost £20k to replace. I'll also be worried that I'm missing out on the final degree of handling and ride due to the lower unsprung mass. AP says it's a firecracker. It's from the 918 FFS! I think it comes down to the fact I ordered the GT3 because I believe it's the best car out there but I've compromised it by not specifying it in the best way.
Old 06-24-2014 | 10:04 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Conekilr
I don't believe this will be the case in regards to Porsche making a larger Steel rotor for the PCCB setup. In the GT3 article in the October 2013 edition of Excellence magazine, it was said that the PCCB calipers can be shimmed to work with the standard Steel rotors or something to that effect and not that Porsche will make a larger steel rotor for tracking.
I don't think Porsche will make them, I think Brembo will (which makes all brake parts for Porsche), if there is demand.

There will likely also be 410mm rotors made by a few aftermarket companies as well, but I prefer Brembo Type III (as found on Cup and RSR).
Old 06-25-2014 | 01:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Conekilr
In the GT3 article in the October 2013 edition of Excellence magazine, it was said that the PCCB calipers can be shimmed to work with the standard Steel rotors or something to that effect and not that Porsche will make a larger steel rotor for tracking.
It would be a very bad idea to replace the 410mm PCCB rotor with a smaller diameter iron rotor in front without downsizing the rear rotors too by the same percentage. Otherwise, you will screw up the brake bias (increasing the rear bias by decreasing the front brake torque).

If switching PCCB's for steel, much better to stay with same dimensions (diameter and width) - no new mounting hardware for calipers or brake pad changes required then.

Last edited by GrantG; 06-25-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2014 | 01:32 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrantG
It would be a very bad idea to replace the 410mm PCCB rotor with a smaller diameter iron rotor in front without downsizing the rear rotors too by the same percentage. Otherwise, you will screw up the brake bias (increasing the rear bias by decreasing the front brake torque).
What you say makes sense but how does the stock steels work? 380 mm front and rear. Do you believe they have different brake bias built into cars with PCCB versus steels?
Old 06-25-2014 | 04:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
I think I will make similar use of the car to you Mike, and I am massively regretting not speccing the PCCBs, and for so many reasons. They cost £6,300 here in the UK but I've convinced myself that's a bargain as rumour has it they cost £20k to replace. I'll also be worried that I'm missing out on the final degree of handling and ride due to the lower unsprung mass. AP says it's a firecracker. It's from the 918 FFS! I think it comes down to the fact I ordered the GT3 because I believe it's the best car out there but I've compromised it by not specifying it in the best way.
Sorry Paul. . But no worries, the car will still be epic.
Old 06-25-2014 | 05:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
What you say makes sense but how does the stock steels work? 380 mm front and rear. Do you believe they have different brake bias built into cars with PCCB versus steels?
Yes, probably different bias (achieved with either different brake pressure valving or by using different diameter pistons in the two sets of calipers).
Old 06-26-2014 | 11:59 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by 911dev
^ all valid points. As stated above, it really is a matter of personal preferences. That said, I love yellow calipers, yellow belts and black full leather with standard stitching on a white GT car.

Minimal brake dust compared to irons is worth almost half the cost of admission alone for me. GT3s spew brake dust backing out of the driveway. The fact that the PCCB rotors and calipers are bigger filling up the large diameter 20" wheels is icing. I feel PCCBs on this car really give it a nicer look.

None of us like the extra static weight from RWS, PDK, etc, yet the 42lb (est) drop in unsprung/rotational weght is a lot. It may not yield better numbers on paper, but is still meaningful in other ways.

The aforementioned works for me as I am not a track junkie. Those who are, I understand completely; irons are the way to go.
Very well said. I have the PCCB on my 991 TTS Cab and my GT3 will definitely have them for all the reasons you have stated. I am not a track guy either, however, I may be tempted to put her out there just a few times.
Old 06-27-2014 | 12:01 AM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sorry Paul. . But no worries, the car will still be epic.
Mike that Guard's Red with those yellow calipers looks stunning! I am so back and forth here on the white vs. red. Still leaning heavily towards white but the constant glimpses of your car are making it very difficult. :-)

-Mike (in GA)
Old 06-27-2014 | 12:18 AM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

I have a question.

I did not go with the PCCB and I am not here to debate the reason. Some one on one of the posts recently conveyed that the GT3 produces a tremendous amount of brake dust. That is not an issue for me but would like to understand why that may be the case. For example; my 997.2 Turbo with the steel rotors produced average brake dust. I had a 2011 Audi R8V 10 that the brake dust was in abundance on the regular brakes. I am now driving a 2014 Loaner C2S with the regular brakes and the brake dust is minimal so I figured may be they have improved. Should I expect the brake dust on the GT3 to be equal to the Loaner or is the GT3 that much different?

Quick Reply: PCCB Gen3