Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compensation

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 12:57 PM
MikeOHara
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to squeeze out a timeline but got no answer. If I decide to walk, they will refund the 20% down payment. There were discussions about the 2015 model and it almost seemed like they were trying to convince me to not even look at the option as it would take far longer for me to take delivery.

Have no idea if my car has an engine at this point. Another worry here is that PAG might be repairing the engines which is why they have asked dealers to remove then way before we have any confirmation or timeline.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeOHara
I tried to squeeze out a timeline but got no answer. If I decide to walk, they will refund the 20% down payment. There were discussions about the 2015 model and it almost seemed like they were trying to convince me to not even look at the option as it would take far longer for me to take delivery.

Have no idea if my car has an engine at this point. Another worry here is that PAG might be repairing the engines which is why they have asked dealers to remove then way before we have any confirmation or timeline.
Mike, repairing them would be too costly and could lead to other problems. You will get a new engine.

Getting a 2015 model for most of us who have had our cars built is a non starter. Since they pushed back all production, the likelihood of getting a 2015 a year from now is slim. Don't forget they have had a list of buyers waiting to order but were not able to do so because of lack of allocations.

What you might do is see if your dealer has someone that might switch places with you. They take a much earlier delivery of a car with a replaced engine and you get their order spot.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

I was talking with my Dealer yesterday and they have been great thru all of this and their information has always turned out accurate. The problem that was conveyed with the 2015 allocations is that there are already 2014 allocation cars that are now going to be a 2015 model. They do not expect to even hear of any 2015 allocation cars until late 4th quarter. Expectation is the pool of US GT3s for 2014/15 will be less than originally anticipated which is going to keep it even more exclusive and help retain values but going to be tougher for those that want "in" to get one.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:34 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I was talking with my Dealer yesterday and they have been great thru all of this and their information has always turned out accurate. The problem that was conveyed with the 2015 allocations is that there are already 2014 allocation cars that are now going to be a 2015 model. They do not expect to even hear of any 2015 allocation cars until late 4th quarter. Expectation is the pool of US GT3s for 2014/15 will be less than originally anticipated which is going to keep it even more exclusive and help retain values but going to be tougher for those that want "in" to get one.
That is one way to look at it. But on the other hand the GT3 value may tank since the car is off to a terrible launch.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:22 PM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engines will be replaced not repaired. This is for sure and Porsche has started the process on assembling new engines. The numbers will all match even with the new motors. The records will change to show all the new motors being the original motors that came with the car. This is how it's worked in the past as well when motors have been replaced under warranty.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:43 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
Engines will be replaced not repaired. This is for sure and Porsche has started the process on assembling new engines. The numbers will all match even with the new motors. The records will change to show all the new motors being the original motors that came with the car. This is how it's worked in the past as well when motors have been replaced under warranty.
Not that it matters, do you know this for a fact?

The reality is if a buyer is going to buy a used 991GT3 unless he has been living under a bushel basket he would want to know if it is one of the cars with a replaced engine. Also, it is unclear to me whether any 2014's will be cars WITHOUT an engine replacement.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:49 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 653 Likes on 331 Posts

I posted this on the Stop Sale thread, but probably more appropriate here:

Originally Posted by naroescape
From a purely business standpoint, the whole compensation discussion is a calculated risk that the company will make:
- Do NOTHING, and you **** off...what...a few hundred people (keep in mind, a majority of those affected are NOT here on Rennlist, so the discussion of compensation has NOT been in their face every day and they may never even expect any). Plus, once you all get your car back and running....you'll all forget about the compensation thing in a few months anyway.

- Do just a little, you **** off less because you at least satisfy some people, and surprise the people that expected nothing.

- Do a lot (like what everyone here is hoping for) and you may make 785 people happy, but upset shareholders, executives, accountants, etc.

VERY interesting balancing act they have here...
I also posted this:

Let me take a somewhat different view on it: while I agree that many of the people on Rennlist, and obviously everyone on this forum, are well aware of this whole issue, a surprisingly large group have no idea about it. Do you really think all the Cayenne, Panamera, Macan...heck even Boxster, Cayman and quite possibly the 'standard' 911 owners know...or if they do...care? Sure it's in the media...but nowadays there's so much going on that we really only pay attention to things that affect us directly.

I am very involved with PCA, having held a lot of local, regional and a National position, so I am very intune with the local Porsche culture and ownership. Most people I've talked to know absolutely nothing about this. It doesn't affect them, so they don't care. When I brought it up to a group of my good friends, many didn't know, most could care less, and one commented "Oh the trials and tribulations of rich people…. There should be a support group…. "

So while all of you are convinced this is a huge deal (and it is for you), most of the nearly 160,000 + people that will buy a new Porsche this year could care less about your GT3 engine.

Oh, and I told him there WAS a support group...it's called Rennlist..
So...I had dinner with a few Porsche buddies last night. Out of 5 of them, only 1 had heard anything about the GT3 engine issue. This again shows that this issue is not even on the radar for the majority of Porsche's customers...so...why would they do anything over and above whatever minimum they can get away with?

And while all of you affected feel it should the most important thing at Porsche right now...actually making close to 200,000 OTHER customers happy is probably a bit more important to them than a few hundred people.

Not trying to stir the pot. As I noted on one post, I am an unbiased observer so no emotional attachment to my opinions...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 04-02-2014, 08:04 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Not that it matters, do you know this for a fact?

The reality is if a buyer is going to buy a used 991GT3 unless he has been living under a bushel basket he would want to know if it is one of the cars with a replaced engine. Also, it is unclear to me whether any 2014's will be cars WITHOUT an engine replacement.
Mines a 2014 sitting on the factory floor - confirmed 270. It has never had a motor installed, so yes there will be 2014 that never had a replacement. If I ever see the car is another story altogether.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

I posted this on the Stop Sale thread, but probably more appropriate here:

I also posted this:

So...I had dinner with a few Porsche buddies last night. Out of 5 of them, only 1 had heard anything about the GT3 engine issue. This again shows that this issue is not even on the radar for the majority of Porsche's customers...so...why would they do anything over and above whatever minimum they can get away with?

And while all of you affected feel it should the most important thing at Porsche right now...actually making close to 200,000 OTHER customers happy is probably a bit more important to them than a few hundred people.

Not trying to stir the pot. As I noted on one post, I am an unbiased observer so no emotional attachment to my opinions...
You are not helping our cause by posting unscientific findings. I can tell you most people in the Porsche community I live in are very much aware of the GT3 fiasco. More importantly, all major car media sources have been reporting the GT3 problems.

Finally, you are badly missing the point by assuming that Porsche doesn't care about a some portion of the buyer base. Porsche doesn't have to do anything for us. They can take the cars and resale them without much difficulty. Porsche is doing what top notch companies do when their product fails. They correct the problem and at the same time compensate buyers regardless of then number involved for the wrong they have suffered. This is nothing more than good business practice. Porsche is choosing to take the long view. Doing right by those they wronged will in the long run translate to more business for them.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:15 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

.... Porsche is doing what top notch companies do when their product fails. They correct the problem and at the same time compensate buyers regardless of then number involved for the wrong they have suffered. This is nothing more than good business practice. Porsche is choosing to take the long view. Doing right by those they wronged will in the long run translate to more business for them.
Not trying to be argumentative at all, but the hightlighted point is purely speculative on your part and 'not based on scientific findings'.

For all you're sake, I truly hope Porsche does whatever it takes to make all of you happy...I really do. The Porsche brand has been a part of my entire life and I have lots of friends that work for Porsche directly...even had dinner with Peter Porsche a couple times. I am just pointing out that from a purely business/numbers standpoint, it might be a little rough going...
Old 04-02-2014, 08:21 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Mines a 2014 sitting on the factory floor - confirmed 270. It has never had a motor installed, so yes there will be 2014 that never had a replacement. If I ever see the car is another story altogether.
Me as well. Production started March 17 and was halted March 20. Still shows V270. Maybe I am one of the last 2014s; sort of a loser lottery winner.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Not trying to be argumentative at all, but the hightlighted point is purely speculative on your part and 'not based on scientific findings'.

For all you're sake, I truly hope Porsche does whatever it takes to make all of you happy...I really do. The Porsche brand has been a part of my entire life and I have lots of friends that work for Porsche directly...even had dinner with Peter Porsche a couple times. I am just pointing out that from a purely business/numbers standpoint, it might be a little rough going...
Sadly, you are wrong. We know loaner cars have been given to buyers even those that have not taken delivery. Also, cash offers have been made to a few individuals. I would say that is better than scientific. They are facts.:big bye:
Old 04-03-2014, 04:05 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 252 Posts

Sadly, you are wrong. We know loaner cars have been given to buyers even those that have not taken delivery. Also, cash offers have been made to a few individuals. I would say that is better than scientific. They are facts.:big bye:
how do you know the cash offers aren't being extended by the dealer?
Old 04-03-2014, 04:33 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jlee504
how do you know the cash offers aren't being extended by the dealer?
and loaner cars. One of my buddies that has a car on order that was supposed to be delivered in December and got delayed for production reasons (I don't know the details), then hit the Stop Sale just as it was out of production. He has no car, dealer said no loaner, and has yet to hear of any 'cash compensation'.

If they do compensate you guys, that's great. But at this point, there is NO universal compensation plan for everyone. That is a fact.

If there was...there wouldn't be 33 pages (and counting) discussing Compensation...
Old 04-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

I don't see that as important at all. The engines being put into the 2014 cars is the same one that the 2015 cars will have. It just doesn't matter that it started life with a different one.

Also, I was at a PCA DE last weekend. I would estimate that over half the people I spoke with had no idea what was going on with the new GT3. Even those who had heard something didn't know all that much. Out there in the real world, this all-consuming issue here is barely a blip on the radar.

Quick Reply: Compensation