Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

^+1^
Old 03-22-2014, 03:30 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

refusing to extend warranty - basically a zero-cost gesture from porsche - says a lot about how Porsche feels about the new engine. If they stood behind it they would offer the warranty BECAUSE THEY KNOW ITS GOOD ENOUGH

The fact that they are not indicates lack of faith in their own engine.

OR, its a different department inside Porsche and whats happening is a stupid bureaucracy is at work...
Old 03-22-2014, 03:54 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
refusing to extend warranty - basically a zero-cost gesture from porsche - says a lot about how Porsche feels about the new engine. If they stood behind it they would offer the warranty BECAUSE THEY KNOW ITS GOOD ENOUGH

The fact that they are not indicates lack of faith in their own engine.

OR, its a different department inside Porsche and whats happening is a stupid bureaucracy is at work...
I hope your 2nd comment is true.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"stupid bureaucracy is at work..."

VW stepping in when they don't need too.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 991GT3
Good question. Note that the MSRP is around €140.000.
Sorry I had to make a quick change in the quote before I got blasted - and know that it is a mixture of quotations

So the Base MSRP in Belgium is 140K EURO?

Today at the Exchange rate for the Euro's to Dollar's, 1.38 Euro to 1.00 Dollars, that is roughly $193.2K and a base price in MSRPs of 48.2% more roughly than over here - like wow. Peas and Rice, this is one of those rare times I'm grateful to be an American - Base MSRP for the USA model GT3 is $130,400K before delivery. Don't you wish you could get an 991 GT3 for 94492 Euros? Because that's essentially what we are starting at here across the pond once you convert the Dollar Back to Euros. Remind me of Porsche prices back in the early to mid 90's when a brand new 911 Turbo, 993, was just north of six figures.

I find it fascinating how much EXTRA everyone else across the world has to pay for the car's we love. Especially those that are considered Sports or Luxury or Sports Luxury cars. Tariffs and Gas Guzzling Taxes sure can be a bitch. In Australia I know they get particularly screwed by their Government for cars that are not economical.

Sorry for going off topic with this one fellas

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 03-22-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Needing to fix some arithmatic
Old 03-22-2014, 04:19 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Unsolicited suggestion (and just that) - if I was a 991 GT3 owner, I would think about everyone collectively retaining a lawyer to negotiate compensation (maybe nominate a lawyer among you who will be willing) instead of letting Porsche pick you off one by one.

I am a softspoken software dude, not a hard edged lawyer. I also get very emotionally attached to my cars. I know Porsche (or any corporation) would make mince meat out of me if I was in the 991 GT3 boat (I almost was, so I feel for you guys).
Old 03-22-2014, 05:05 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Unsolicited suggestion (and just that) - if I was a 991 GT3 owner, I would think about everyone collectively retaining a lawyer to negotiate compensation (maybe nominate a lawyer among you who will be willing) instead of letting Porsche pick you off one by one.

I am a softspoken software dude, not a hard edged lawyer. I also get very emotionally attached to my cars. I know Porsche (or any corporation) would make mince meat out of me if I was in the 991 GT3 boat (I almost was, so I feel for you guys).
It isn't PAG that would be making mince meat out of the owners -- it's the market (the demand). If every owner and potential owner loves the car as much as they say they do, then they EITHER accept zero to no compensation to wait six months for a new beta-test engine (and a car filled with cow manure, why not?) OR they return their car to the dealer so he can sell it to someone else at zero to no discount from msrp. If PAG gauges that such market demand in fact exists, it would have zero incentive to offer large compensation deals.

Regardless of what the owners demand/request, the size/value of the $ compensation, on average, would end up being equal to the discount off msrp a dealer must make to re-sell a car that has been returned.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:21 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No extended warranty???? After all the talk about it being a given? WTF.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:40 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=sunnyr;11234655]Unsolicited suggestion (and just that) - if I was a 991 GT3 owner, I would think about everyone collectively retaining a lawyer to negotiate compensation (maybe nominate a lawyer among you who will be willing) instead of letting Porsche pick you off one by one.

Excellent suggestion

Those of you who have taken delivery and who have cars at the port, time to lawyer up!
Its not looking good
Old 03-22-2014, 06:01 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

I have a friend who practices corporate law at a Fortune 500 company. I asked his opinion on the matter. He is of the opinion that precedent is the most important thing when dealing with this. Therefore he predicts that:

No extended warranty will be offered. Why, they already have a warranty for your motor. It's the same motor with the same warranty as the 2015.

There will not be a payment for residual loss. Related to the above. New motor, same warranty. They are not in the business of guessing future value, nor setting a precedent for every time a component (CL) is replaced. Many here have pointed out that Porsche replaces engines for a variety of reasons. Ever hear of a new extended warranty or a payment for bad center locks?

They will not repurchase their cars. This hardly needs discussing. That will be the option of the dealer.

They will only pay for realized loss, i.e., lease payment, car payment, loss of use, registration fees unused.

They will not refund your purchase price. Not their problem. Talk to the dealer.

As someone said in a previous post, "have your own exit strategy". Be prepared if the above is true.

As to everyone getting a lawyer, knock yourself out. Ever been in a lawsuit? Nightmare. The same friend once told me "a bad settlement is better than a good lawsuit." Think you've been preoccupied by this up to now? Prepare for ten times the angst.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:02 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
I have a friend who practices corporate law at a Fortune 500 company. I asked his opinion on the matter. He is of the opinion that precedent is the most important thing when dealing with this. Therefore he predicts that: No extended warranty will be offered. Why, they already have a warranty for your motor. It's the same motor with the same warranty as the 2015. There will not be a payment for residual loss. Related to the above. New motor, same warranty. They are not in the business of guessing future value, nor setting a precedent for every time a component (CL) is replaced. Many here have pointed out that Porsche replaces engines for a variety of reasons. Ever hear of a new extended warranty or a payment for bad center locks? They will not repurchase their cars. This hardly needs discussing. That will be the option of the dealer. They will only pay for realized loss, i.e., lease payment, car payment, loss of use, registration fees unused. They will not refund your purchase price. Not their problem. Talk to the dealer. As some said in a previous post, "have your own exit strategy". Be prepared if the above is true. As to everyone getting a lawyer, knock yourself out. Ever been in a lawsuit? Nightmare. The same friend once told me "a bad settlement is better than a good lawsuit." Think you've been preoccupied by this up to now? Prepare for ten times the angst.
How about the warranty extension from BMW from early e46 m3 engine issues? Or were the circumstances not similar to be considered comparable?
Old 03-22-2014, 06:26 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Think about the myriad of problems, well characterized, that Porsche has had with a variety of cars. CL problem, rear seal, coolant issues with Cayenne, etc. Did they ever buy back your car? Repay you for a lower residual? No, nothing like the things people here are dreaming to get.

Do you really believe you are going to get $200 per day, a 30% discount on your car, 10% off a 2015, your choice, invoice on your next Porsche? Get all your money back, your preference? Have I missed any?

The automotive press and general public will think it's remarkable that Porsche gave all owners a complete new engine, and $200/day for loss. They will think, what a great company, and continue to take their advertising dollars. Porsche owners do not elicit much sympathy from the general public, rich guys with a certain stereotype. Ever hear the joke about Porsche and porcupines? The world is not going to rise up in protest for us. Most will think that Porsche was very generous.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

FWIW, Porsche has extended warranties on Boxster engines I believe back in 2002 (Can't fine the source so please don't flame me) Had something to do with oil puddling within a chamber. The tolerances were off.

Apparently a replacement engine is a big deal to regulators and Porsche cannot or will not ignore the consequences brought upon by their actions.

As far as compensation, this much I know. I pick up a new 9114S today. Should Porsche decide to offer daily payments in lieu of a loaner I will seriously consider and return the car. I haven't paid for my GT3 other than a deposit BUT my car was built and to be delivered this week but held up because of the engine issue.. I am well aware I can walk away for the car anytime I like.

Also, there is no doubt in my mind that if owners who took delivery wished to get a refund Porsche will accommodate them.

The big issue for Porsche is what to do with the depreciation issue. Those that incurred financial loss as a result of the replacement engine order will legally get whatever they loss.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:51 PM
green
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine received his gt3 3 weeks before stop order. He was offered a full refund by pcna.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 192 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
How about the warranty extension from BMW from early e46 m3 engine issues? Or were the circumstances not similar to be considered comparable?
Originally Posted by Nick
FWIW, Porsche has extended warranties on Boxster engines I believe back in 2002 (Can't fine the source so please don't flame me) Had something to do with oil puddling within a chamber. The tolerances were off.
What you guys are referencing are situations where an extended warranty was offered on an existing engine with a history of difficulty. In this case Porsche is offering a new, complete factory engine with a full factory warranty.

We're getting new engines, not rebuilt or repaired units, which is a big deal. I fully expect to be compensated fairly for all loss of use issues. Beyond that, let's see what happens.

One thing for sure, Bluehinder's attorney friend makes a ton of sense on one point at the very least. I bought this car to enjoy; I don't need it to be part of any more aggravation (as in lawsuit) than I've already experienced.

Quick Reply: Compensation