Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 01:55 AM
mhh
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
The two cars that bbq had new low miles which most likely is from "break in" miles. Hard to "heavy heat cycle" those motors compared to the folks have beat the crap out of the cars already. Its not adding up.

Agreed.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:05 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
As far as mezger engines go you're talking back to how many generations vs a one motor upgraded should be more robust 9a-1 motor for the gt3. Hopefully it's a simple fix. Don't wish this to nobody but mezger has been tried and true. 991 cups still use the old mezger- wonder y? Mike
Production of the 991 GT3 with the new engine began in September 2013. The 2014 Cup car was on the drawing boards and undergoing testing long before that, raising the issue of homologation for the new DFI motor; no examples had been sold yet. The Mezger is homologated until 2015 which made the decision to go with it easy.

Whether the DFI 9A1 will be used in the 2015 car is another question but, as I understand it, it wouldn't have been possible to use it this year by the regulations.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:32 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jamie140
….
ROFL! Hilarious. Proud to be different, though!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
The coolant fittings are an example of Porsche's arrogance and incompetence... Solutions have existed for years... Welding, pinning... One forum member even had them custom threaded so they'd never come apart... The question should be "Why was an obvious easy fix ignored for 4 generations of car?..." They've just ignored the only fault the Mezger had because of arrogance... Certainly not cost because all solutions would cost only a matter of dollars in the manufacturing phase...
Agreed. Ranks right up there with the center locks. On the plus side. AFAIK we've yet to hear of a 997.2 blowing its coolant fittings.

Originally Posted by doubleurx

I hear all this talk of how the Mezger was first tested in Motorsport. Is this true? The 964 block appeared well before the first GT 3 in production cars?

I'm certainly not knocking the motor at all. I have a 996tt and a 964, both with a 964 stamped on the block.
Mezger lump traces it's roots to the GT1 Le Mans effort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911_GT1

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Have to say 991 body is the best I've seen among the gt3. Simply beautiful exteriorwise.
Agreed.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:53 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Lol, I never got any calls either.
Now I'm getting pissed. --Called dealer, they will offer a Cayanne v6. NO WAY.. other dealer said it must be form Dealer you bought car from. -- Service dept. guys don't know anything about the updates. Calling PCNA Monday.. not putting up with the mental energy required to 'NOT DRIVE CAR' I paid 170k anymore. Porsche has plenty of $$. --If I charge customers or clients 170k they are crawling up my ear..
Old 03-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

FWIW, got this off Rennteam from a German poster.

A decision and communication towards dealers and owners is expected within the next two weeks. There a two things. One is, it has been already mentioned here, is the conrod fitting, which was found as an issue regarding the two burned down cars. The other one, which has been found inside of the already produced engines meanwhile, well, that's an issue that has never been seen on the prototypes nor the test cars. Let's say it in that way: It has something to do with the tooling/supply chain. That can happen to every manufacture in the car industry. Porsche is now in a process, to find the best solution for the customers. So please be patient. I'm sure that they will have a solutions for this and that at the end, you'll get/have a great car with a fantastic race engine (you'll see that)
Old 03-01-2014, 11:56 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
Now I'm getting pissed. --Called dealer, they will offer a Cayanne v6. NO WAY.. other dealer said it must be form Dealer you bought car from. -- Service dept. guys don't know anything about the updates. Calling PCNA Monday.. not putting up with the mental energy required to 'NOT DRIVE CAR' I paid 170k anymore. Porsche has plenty of $$. --If I charge customers or clients 170k they are crawling up my ear..
Just FYI if you missed the one post I just had...but literally last night I got a call when I was away...but rather than just give info they actually requested that I call back...which seems odd to me if they have no information to give me...

Edit^^^the above post would make sense then...Ill let you guys know if I get any actual info.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:21 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys, when I talked with them yesterday it sounded like I was talking to a lawyer and she did mention that our conversation was being recorded and did not offer any other info beside my car has engine problem and will be delayed. You can ask all the questions you want but good luck getting an answer.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:36 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
FWIW, got this off Rennteam from a German poster.

A decision and communication towards dealers and owners is expected within the next two weeks. There a two things. One is, it has been already mentioned here, is the conrod fitting, which was found as an issue regarding the two burned down cars. The other one, which has been found inside of the already produced engines meanwhile, well, that's an issue that has never been seen on the prototypes nor the test cars. Let's say it in that way: It has something to do with the tooling/supply chain. That can happen to every manufacture in the car industry. Porsche is now in a process, to find the best solution for the customers. So please be patient. I'm sure that they will have a solutions for this and that at the end, you'll get/have a great car with a fantastic race engine (you'll see that)
Nick , that was Jesse copilot reply to me on the 3 page , last night, I found that somehow had a feeling of real meat to what he stated
Old 03-01-2014, 12:40 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a call from PCNA on February 21 that I did not answer (showed up on my cellphone caller ID as Porsche's number, the same as roadside assistance.) She left a message for me to call back regarding my GT3, which I didn't do. I guess the reason behind the call is for them to document they contacted the owner and told them not to drive, to help in case the car catches fire. Sort of CYA.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:48 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't taken delivery but yes I agree. CYA. Its all about lawsuits coming up and the lawyers at work.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:49 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 477 Posts

I'm not really liking this tone of Lawyering up from Porsche...I understand the whole "cover our bases" but...but if I even get a hint of mistreatment or "you're the only one that can lose out" attitude and I'm going to have a very different attitude.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Nick , that was Jesse copilot reply to me on the 3 page , last night, I found that somehow had a feeling of real meat to what he stated
On that I have no doubt. Others believing this will be an easy fix have

Last edited by Nick; 03-22-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Maybe?

Coolant hose events.......how many?

Fires for unknown reason......2

I think if you search you can find at least twice as many Mezger blocks going up in flames.
guess the humor was just to subtle!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:58 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I'm not really liking this tone of Lawyering up from Porsche...I understand the whole "cover our bases" but...but if I even get a hint of mistreatment or "you're the only one that can lose out" attitude and I'm going to have a very different attitude.
I don't get that sense from Porsche. I took my GT3 in today and got a brand new loaner, 2014 base 911 with sunroof and only 42 miles on the odometer. I think Porsche is trying really hard to please GT3 customers. This is approved by PNA and subsidized by them, not the dealer being nice.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?