Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:25 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The statement above that warranty coverage begins upon service date is accurate. Service date is basically when it gets titled. So those sitting at port or the factory still have their full warranty.

IMO, all affected cars should get an extra year (or two years), and those already titled should get that same year (or two years) + extra coverage for time out of service.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:32 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be surprised if PCNA's legal team let this "one year extension" be the same as ROW because of all the correct discussion above.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:50 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

Don't forget, the most liberal warranty is in the US. Whether Porsche extends the warranty here is iffy.

Now that we know they are just starting production of the engine we all can assume that replacements in the US will take at least 30-60 if not longer. I have been waiting since March 2013 to take delivery of the car. It now appears I will not take it until June or July. FWIW, the 918 buyer in Germany indicated that Porsche has added a third line or shift to produce engines so clearly they are in full production mode.

So what do I do. Do I wait two months or more or do I bail. If I bail I would have to order another car which could take several months to arrive. Or I can buy one already optioned of a car lot. The only car that would meet the performance parameters of the GT3 is the 12C. Even though it is in a free fall value wise the 12C would still cost another $50-75,000 more. Why would I want to do that?

I could buy used performance cars but they would not meet the performance parameters of the 991GT3. Also, I would have no idea what that car has been put through.

Porsche says it will provide some compensation (they have already provided me a C2S) for the wait. So why would I want to shoot myself in the foot for another two to three months? To spite Porsche? To me that doesn't make any sense. This is all about me and not Porsche.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
So what do I do. Do I wait two months or more or do I bail. If I bail I would have to order another car which could take several months to arrive. Or I can buy one already optioned of a car lot. The only car that would meet the performance parameters of the GT3 is the 12C. Even though it is in a free fall value wise the 12C would still cost another $50-75,000 more. Why would I want to do that?

I could buy used performance cars but they would not meet the performance parameters of the 991GT3. Also, I would have no idea what that car has been put through.

Porsche says it will provide some compensation (they have already provided me a C2S) for the wait. So why would I want to shoot myself in the foot for another two to three months? To spite Porsche? To me that doesn't make any sense. This is all about me and not Porsche.
Yes.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,460 Likes on 763 Posts

Nick- I have read a lot of your posts and I have respected you decisions, observations and remarks. I am in a similar situation with my car at the port since Feb.. I also agree with what you conveyed above but does it not irk you that all that may come out of this is a loaner and 1 year warranty extension? Do you not believe that the 2014s will take a serious depreciation blow and for me who is incapable of keeping a car for 2 years may be a bigger gamble? Do you also have complete confidence that this new engine will perform to the level it was marketed as?
I am not being controversial but interested in how you feel
Old 04-09-2014, 01:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

So no clear info on date, except a few months "after Easter", or extra warranty, or compensation.
6PM in Europe, US customers received nothing.

Nuts.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

I am convinced the engine will perform to as good if not better than our original engines. Porsche has it engineering reputation at stake. They will not fumble the ball again.

The depreciation issue is a concern. Porsche recognizes this and I do believe there will be compensation to address that concern. My may argue what form the compensation will take but something needs to be done.

My biggest complaint has been the lack of transparency and the delay in reporting information. Porsche badly handled the situation. But after carefully analyzing my circumstance I asked myself am I going to let my anger about the way it has been handled affect my judgment as to what is good FOR ME? When I review all other options the best decision was to wait it out. It is the only reasonable and rational decision to make.

Keep this in mind. Those that walk away from the car built but not delivered are essentially doing Porsche a favor and letting them off the hook. Those cars will be sold at MSRP if not for more. Porsche will lose nothing other than the cost of the engine replacement.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I am convinced the engine will perform to as good if not better than our original engines. Porsche has it engineering reputation at stake. They will not fumble the ball again.

The depreciation issue is a concern. Porsche recognizes this and I do believe there will be compensation to address that concern. My may argue what form the compensation will take but something needs to be done.

My biggest complaint has been the lack of transparency and the delay in reporting information. Porsche badly handled the situation. But after carefully analyzing my circumstance I asked myself am I going to let my anger about the way it has been handled affect my judgment as to what is good FOR ME? When I review all other options the best decision was to wait it out. It is the only reasonable and rational decision to make.

Keep this in mind. Those that walk away from the car built but not delivered are essentially doing Porsche a favor and letting them off the hook. Those cars will be sold at MSRP if not for more. Porsche will lose nothing other than the cost of the engine replacement.
It seems to me that that is what they are aiming for.
How else explain the F... Y.. attitude?

If I was Porsche and had this problem I'd gladly take my product back, fix it as cheap as possible on my time and than sell it for as much as possible later.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:36 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Nick- I have read a lot of your posts and I have respected you decisions, observations and remarks. I am in a similar situation with my car at the port since Feb.. I also agree with what you conveyed above but does it not irk you that all that may come out of this is a loaner and 1 year warranty extension? Do you not believe that the 2014s will take a serious depreciation blow and for me who is incapable of keeping a car for 2 years may be a bigger gamble? Do you also have complete confidence that this new engine will perform to the level it was marketed as?
I am not being controversial but interested in how you feel
Attached Images    
Old 04-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

So, we should all stick it to Porsche by keeping our cars? Yeah, that'll show em.

The logic is getting pretty convoluted around here.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
+1. Pretty much it. Sheep.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
It seems to me that that is what they are aiming for.
How else explain the F... Y.. attitude?

If I was Porsche and had this problem I'd gladly take my product back, fix it as cheap as possible on my time and than sell it for as much as possible later.
I don't believe Porsche is taking a FU attitude. This issue is unprecedented for them and they did not have any protocols to deal with it.

Think about it. They have 785 cars distributed throughout the world that need an engine replaced. They were uncertain what cause the engine to fail and took over 30 days to determine the cause and solution. Then they had to test to be sure it would not happen again.

Once satisfied they now have to produce 785 engines AND get them shipped and installed within a very short period of time while their coveted client base is howling. I would not wish that on any car manufacturer.

Now it appears they will be able to get this all done with 5-6 months. Not too bad.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
So, we should all stick it to Porsche by keeping our cars? Yeah, that'll show em.

The logic is getting pretty convoluted around here.
I could give a rats *** about Porsche. I just don't want to "stick it to myself".
Old 04-09-2014, 01:45 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Im not at all worried that the car will be fixed properly and perform as expected.

Im simply not able to accept the fact that there is no timeline that can be followed/planned upon.

For those that keep their cars, this is a non-issue. Sit tight, youre going to love this car, its awesome.

I dont have time or patience to wait. I daily drive the **** out of whatever current supercar is in my garage, and dont like missing out on a summer of doing that.

Sorry but my 991s loaner isnt cutting it. I will be getting a 13 mp4 in may. I just have to figure out how to give back this wonderful gt3 without cutting off my nose...
Old 04-09-2014, 01:52 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

All I can say is I guess they got the best of it when I canceled my v270 car. Sadly for my dealer who purchased the 2014 allocation from another dealer, allegedly at msrp, they have a bit of an issue on their hands.

I got out because of the 2014 vs. 2015 issue as well as the fact that PCNA told me I would not get a loaner car. My perspective has changed quite a bit since taking delivery of my 991S. I don't know how you guys are still hanging on. I'm not sure if it's admirable, pathetic or a mixture of both. ;-)

Last edited by sgroer; 08-21-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?